Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For next week read chapters 37-42, which is up to location 7071.

Ethan Saunders

Do you think Lavien will make good on his threat to prevent Ethan from continuing his investigation?

Like Leonidas said, what drives a man to a wealth that will crush all others?

What do you think Leonidas will do now that he knows he's free? Do you think he'll come back?

What is your opinion on Mr. Freneau?

Joan Maycott

What do you think of the relationship between Duer and Joan?

Were you surprised to learn that Joan is behind Duer's scheme?

Why do you think Cynthia, not knowing Joan very well, trusted her to protect Ethan?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ethan Saunders

Do you think Lavien will make good on his threat to prevent Ethan from continuing his investigation?[/b]

I think that everyone is playing Ethan and they want him to continue. It's as if they feel that if they tell him no he will try harder.

I think that in a sense, it is a game to Duer. I think that it's all about winning and power

What do you think Leonidas will do now that he knows he's free? Do you think he'll come back?

I think that he might come back but only after he has enough time to calm down. He feels utterly betrayed by Ethan.

I think that he is like many journalist who claim impartiality but ultimately are rooting for one side and report all that they can to bring that side to win. He is determined to undermine Hamilton. He has the information he needs to stop a great economic collapse but would rather it happened to further hurt Hamilton.

Joan Maycott

I think that Duer likes the attention of a beautiful woman who can knowledgeably stoke his ego. Other women of that era were probably not able to understand all of his machinations due to lack of education. I think he needs that from her.

I was wondering what she had in store for him. I am surprised that she is willing to cause so much wide spread losses among common people.

Why do you think Cynthia, not knowing Joan very well, trusted her to protect Ethan? I think that women can usually see through the manipulations of other women better than men can especially when the woman is pretty and flirting with him.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Did anybody else notice at location 5960 the Chapter title said John Maycott. I think it's a typo and should be Joan. Unless I missed something along the way.

Ethan Saunders
Do you think Lavien will make good on his threat to prevent Ethan from continuing his investigation?
Lavien does not seem to be the kind of person who gives out idle threats. If he is indeed working for Hamilton I don't think it is an idle threat.

Greed, Greed and more Greed

Leonidas is hurt right now because Ethan didn't trust him enough to tell him he was free and that he would continue to help Ethan as a true friend. I think Leonidas is a better person than Ethan and will teach Ethan a valuable lesson in trust and friendship by coming back to help.

Don't get me started on the mainstream media…then or now. A reporter's job is to report the facts and Freneau was affecting the outcome of the story by revealing to Leonidas that he was a freeman. Mr. Freneau is a Jefferson man and he should be looking at the facts impartially and should not try to affect the story because he doesn't like Ethan.

Joan Maycott

I think Duer is smitten with Joan and it is surprising that a man as smart as he is confiding in Joan. She must be very, very pretty. Even Reynolds sees through Joan and tries to warn Duer.

Not surprised since Joan is a very determined woman and planned and schemed to ruin Tindall, Duer, Reynolds, Pearson, and most of all Hamilton who she believes to be the master.

Why do you think Cynthia, not knowing Joan very well, trusted her to protect Ethan?
Cynthia has no other choice but to trust Joan as she has nobody else to turn to.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ethan Saunders

Lavien doesn't make threats idly, but he seems to connect with Ethan. I don't think he went to all that trouble to find Turner just to stop Ethan. He had to know it would set Ethan off.

Yes, greed, but greed for power, not just wealth.

No, I don't think he'll come back. He was angry at Ethan for not freeing him, and now Ethan showed he didn't value Leonidas enough to trust him to stay.

A scandalmonger and manipulator. Journalists should save their opinions for the editorial pages, but they don't today and obviously didn't two hundred years ago. He uses his position to manipulate events.

Joan Maycott

I think Duer respects her opinion. We know that she's well-(if self-)educated, especially about finance. I think he's flattered that a beautiful, intelligent woman should be paying him attention. I also think he's hungry to confide in someone. He needs to let someone know what a brilliant speculator he is.

Didn't know how Joan was going to pull this off, but I knew she could do it. I was surprised that she so openly presented herself to Duer and used her real name. I guess she figured the passing years and the change from a poor housewife to a wealthy, sophisticated widow would make her unrecognizable. A man like Duer doesn't pay much attention to the people he ruins.

Cynthia's instincts are good. She's not Fleet's daughter for nothing, and she's learned the hard way being married to Pearson who she can trust and who she can't.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Sorry,guys...I just thought I would take a little peek ahead yesterday, and before I knew it, I finished the book! :eek: No more postings from me till the last week, don't want to risk spoilers...I will be lurking, though!

Happy reading!

N :)
Okay, confession time. I finished, too. Some ending, huh? And that's all the spoilers anyone is going to get out of me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Cheaters!!!! Just kidding.  It's been really hard not to continue on but it's the only way I can keep new material out of the current week's questions...but I can't wait to see how it ends.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Cowgirl said:
Cheaters!!!! Just kidding. It's been really hard not to continue on but it's the only way I can keep new material out of the current week's questions...but I can't wait to see how it ends.
You won't be disappointed. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts