Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, next week we'll be finishing the book! Read until there's none left. There is a historical note at the end, but I'm not going to ask any questions on it.

Ethan Saunders

Were you surprised that Reynolds is playing for both teams, in a way?

What do you think of Ethan's activities the morning of the Million Bank launch?

Joan Macott

Were you surprised to learn that Leonidas was spying on Ethan for Joan?

At about location 6260, Joan makes a speech about revenge. What do you think about what she said?

Ultimately, Ethan and Joan have opposing interests. He wants to save the BUS and Hamilton, and she wants to destroy them. Do you think that both characters can have happy endings?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts

Ethan Saunders

Yes, I was surprised, but I shouldn't have been. He is a thoroughly despicable character in a novel that is filled with despicable characters.

Very clever. If he couldn't stop Duer directly, he could stop him by immobilizing his agents.

Ethan is such a complex character. You would think all those years of drunken debauchery would have soaked his brain into mush. Now that he's got a goal, protecting Cynthia and her children, he's able to focus and use his old skills.

Joan Maycott

Yes, that surprised me at first. But then I thought, what better way to keep watch over Ethan while staying away from the man who betrayed him.

At about location 6260, Joan makes a speech about revenge. What do you think about what she said?

Joan is clever enough to know that revenge won't bring her satisfaction. She wants to punish those who destroyed her life, but it won't change anything.

Ultimately, Ethan and Joan have opposing interests. He wants to save the BUS and Hamilton, and she wants to destroy them. Do you think that both characters can have happy endings?
Ethan might have a happy ending, but I don't think Joan will. She's consumed with her mission and there is room for nothing else in her life.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ethan Saunders

I think that Reynolds is first last and always about the money. He even married someone like him, "a slut". who looks great but is also about the money. Since he is not motivated by ideals or loyalty, he just wants as much money as he can get his hands on, probably, in part, to keep his wife.

I think that he is smart in foiling Duer this way.

Joan Macott

At first I was but then I thought how I would feel if I were forced to remain a slave after I was promised freedom. I think that it would evaporate any loyalty I had.

I think that it goes back to her belief that to do nothing would be tantamount to condoning their actions. To look herself in the mirror every morning, she has to stop the evil doers. It doesn't mean that she has to like it.

I think that Joan might find a measure of happiness simply because her scheme ensures that she will have enough money to be independent. I don't think that she will ever love again because, in that time, to marry meant the loss of that property and independence. I can't see her willing to do that again. I think that she feels that with the loss of Andrew she has lost her chance at an equal relationship. Ethan may have a happy ending but only if he can find the means of supporting himself. His new found honor would not let him live off of Cynthia's money and without Cynthia, he could not be entirely happy.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Marguerite said:
OOOH. I just finished it. Can't wait until next week to discuss it.
I finished last week. Great, great ending. I was hoping this would be a good book because it was a good historical subject I hadn't read about before. I wasn't disappointed. :D :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I made myself wait to read the end until I entered my answers but I couldn't wait any longer.  I liked the ending

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Marguerite said:
I made myself wait to read the end until I entered my answers but I couldn't wait any longer. I liked the ending
You're so strong. I'm glad I didn't wait, though. I'm probably going to reread the ending again before next week. So much went on in the end, I need to read it more slowly to get all the nuances.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ethan Saunders

Not really. He is not a very likeable man and is motivated by money. I think he is also smart enough to realize he needs to cover all his bases therefore who ever wins in this fight he profits.

Pearson & Reynolds locked him up the night before the launch so he knew he had to do something to stop the launch and he played to the Duer agents weakness..women

Joan Macott

Not really…I never thought he could leave Ethan high and dry. He is very loyal in spite of the fact that Ethan lied to him. Leonidas's loyalty shows when he says he'll help Joan as long as Ethan doesn't get harmed in the process.

Joan considers herself to be a Patriot and to do nothing in her mind would not be acceptable. She is duty bound to avenge the death of her husband and help the people in the West who have been used by the wealthy money grabbers in the East.

Since they both have opposing interests I assume only one will be successful…I hope it's Joan because I love her character…her spunkiness, intelligence and sense of duty and honor even when the chips were down in the West. She always makes the best of her circumstances. Ethan on the other hand was also dealt a bad hand when when he was framed for treason but instead of dealing with it he turned to whiskey, womanizing and feeling sorry for himself. He was also less than honorable with Leonidas.

I can't wait to now read the end. It was hard to stop each week and not keep going to see what happened next.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I'm watching a special on the History Channel on Rumrunners, Moonshiners and Bootleggers.  Apparently, John Hancock was one of the biggest rumrunners in defiance of the British government. 

I'm waiting to see what they have to say about the whiskey rebellion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts