Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you think of the ending?

What did you think of the book overall?

How do you feel about Joan's methods for detaining Ethan and Lavien?

What did you think of the scene in Pearson's house?

What is your final opinion on the major characters (Ethan, Joan, Pearson, Cynthia, Lavien, Leonidas, etc--talk about who you want)?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Forgot this was Thursday. Sorry this is coming to an end.

Fantastic. Absolutely unexpected. Very clever of the author to have Joan use Burr to get her final revenge on Hamilton.

I thought it was very well written and it kept me interested throughout. I did have a bit of a problem with the timeline between Joan and Ethan. When Joan met Ethan at the Bingham's, I though their timelines had caught up. That proved not to be the case, which threw me off for a bit.

She could have done worse, as far as detaining them in Pearson's house. Sending the whiskey boys after them ... she had to know that someone or several someones were going to get hurt or killed.

You mean where Ethan covered Lavien's escape? That whole scene in the foyer was very well staged. Ethan fooled me for a while. Loved how Cynthia caught on and played along. She's her father's daughter and a fine match for Ethan.

What is your final opinion on the major characters (Ethan, Joan, Pearson, Cynthia, Lavien, Leonidas, etc--talk about who you want)?
Ethan is obviously reformed and I think he and Cynthia will be very happy.

Joan may have achieved her goal, but I'm betting she ends up bitter and alone. She's devoted so much of her life to ruining Hamilton, I doubt she has anything left.

I don't think Leonidas ever went back to Ethan. He has too much self-respect for that, although there will probably always be a bond.

I did find one historical inaccuracy. The author said that Hamilton led the troops against the whiskey rebels, but it was Washington.

I don't know whether or not some of the western PA settlers were former soldiers duped by Duer. However, I was watching a show on the History Channel about rumrunners, moonshiners and bootleggers. They said those settlers were Scots/Irish distillers that left their own countries to avoid the whiskey tax. It's one of the reasons, besides no cash, that they refused to pay the tax. The book mentioned that Dalton went to Kentucky, and the show I was watching said the same thing.

Interestingly, John Hancock was one of the biggest rumrunners. When one of his ships was seized by the British, he got all his friends together in Faneuil Hall in Boston and they started plotting rebellion. Can the seeds of the American Revolution be rooted in rum? :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

I thought that it wrapped it up nicely.  I loved it that Cynthia actually stood up for Ethan in the end.

I thought that it made the history come alive.  I loved how the characters were woven into history.  I was sorry to see it end.

I think that she might have succeeded if she had been successful. 

I think that Joan ended up one of those with a cause and no other life.  I thought it interesting the the author had Joan be the catalyst behind the assassination.  Leonidas was such a great character.  He was a slave but managed to carve a life for himself and had a lot of dignity. 

What are we going to read next?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I thought the story was very well crafted. However, alternating the chapters between Ethan and Joan threw me off a little bit, esp the mismatched timeline, as Gertie mentioned above. I like to be able to get into one character's head and stay there. I'm not sure the alternating was necessary, though I could probably be convinced otherwise.

My favorite minor characters were Leonidas b/c of his very complicated relationship with Ethan, and Lavien b/c he did stuff that was very unexpected. I agree that Joan probably winds up lonely and bitter. I'm glad that Ethan and Cynthia get together.

Everytime I read a book that has some basis in history, I always get very curious what really did happen and what's fiction. I was surprised to come across a description of "The Reynolds Affair" in David McCullough's book John Adams just after I finished Whiskey Rebels. Hamilton had an affair with Reynolds's wife, and was blackmailed by Reynolds, "a speculator with an unsavory reputation." When the story broke in 1797 and Hamilton was accused of being partners with Reynolds, it caused quite a scandal. Hamilton published a pamphlet Observations on Certain Documents...in which...the Charge of Speculation against Alexander Hamilton...is Fully Refuted where he confessed: "My real crime is an amorous connection with [Reynolds's] wife." Glad I didn't read that before I finished Whiskey Rebels!

So, would anybody or has anybody read another book by Liss? I think I will...just have to decide which one!

Yes, what are we reading next? Lots of free books to choose from!

N :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Neekeebee said:
I thought the story was very well crafted. However, alternating the chapters between Ethan and Joan threw me off a little bit, esp the mismatched timeline, as Gertie mentioned above. I like to be able to get into one character's head and stay there. I'm not sure the alternating was necessary, though I could probably be convinced otherwise.
It might have worked better if Ethan's chapters had been dated, and not just the year. Joan's should have included the time span, too, not just the year.

Everytime I read a book that has some basis in history, I always get very curious what really did happen and what's fiction. I was surprised to come across a description of "The Reynolds Affair" in David McCullough's book John Adams just after I finished Whiskey Rebels. Hamilton had an affair with Reynolds's wife, and was blackmailed by Reynolds, "a speculator with an unsavory reputation." When the story broke in 1797 and Hamilton was accused of being partners with Reynolds, it caused quite a scandal. Hamilton published a pamphlet Observations on Certain Documents...in which...the Charge of Speculation against Alexander Hamilton...is Fully Refuted where he confessed: "My real crime is an amorous connection with [Reynolds's] wife." Glad I didn't read that before I finished Whiskey Rebels!
That's very interesting. I didn't get past researching Duer and the rebellion itself.

So, would anybody or has anybody read another book by Liss? I think I will...just have to decide which one!
Yes, I'll read another book by Liss. He's not in my budget right now, but I think I'll download some samples.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Great book...the ending did not disappoint. I went back and forth several times tyring to figure out who would be successful in the end and how they would achieve their success. I think the timeline threw me…the going back and forth between dates and characters. I think it was meant to confuse the reader or otherwise it would have been probably obvious that Joan's plan wouldn't succeed.

If this book hadn't been free I am sure I wouldn't have bought it…having said that it was definitely worth reading even at the current price of $9.99. It was cleverly written with just enough intrigue and history woven together.

I was surprised they were just detained and not killed by the Whiskey boys. I think Joan would have been successful with Ethan and Lavien out of the picture.

I know most were pulling for Ethan and Cynthia but I really wanted Joan and Ethan. Cynthia is too needy for Ethan. Maybe if Joan was able to find love with Ethan she could have been able to find forgiveness.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Cowgirl said:
I know most were pulling for Ethan and Cynthia but I really wanted Joan and Ethan. Cynthia is too needy for Ethan. Maybe if Joan was able to find love with Ethan she could have been able to find forgiveness.
I wanted to see Ethan with Joan and I agree with what you said. However, I think Cynthia showed her true colors in the foyer at Pearson's house. She showed a lot of grit and played out the game with Ethan. Ethan and Cynthia deserved to be together.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I wanted to see Ethan with Joan and I agree with what you said. However, I think Cynthia showed her true colors in the foyer at Pearson's house. She showed a lot of grit and played out the game with Ethan. Ethan and Cynthia deserved to be together.
I think that Ethan needs to be needed more than others. He couldn't pull himself together until Cynthia needed him. Joan, I think would not have given him that same sense of purpose.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
So do I.  She is honorable, brave, and true to herself even when it's hard.  I just don't think it's what Ethan needs.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Marguerite said:
So do I. She is honorable, brave, and true to herself even when it's hard. I just don't think it's what Ethan needs.
I agree. Joan is all those things. It's just those qualities that would have buried Ethan. I don't think he could have swayed her from her purpose, and in the end, he became Hamilton's man. It would never have worked as much as I would like to have seen them together.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
A Conspiracy of Paper and A Spectacle of Corruption are two in a series. Liss' newest, Devil's Company, isn't on Kindle yet. I'll post it in the klicking thread.

I read the sample of The Coffee Trader. It looks good. Very-Ethan like character in the beginning. Similar, but different enough. I get the same vibe. And it looks like he does the two character POV in this one, too. It's going on my list for a summer read.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I've read all of Liss' other books except The Ethical Assassin. I'd judge this the best. The other's are good, but you do have to pay close attention to the financial details. They all deal with murder and mayhem and some sort of financial shenanigans. I'm looking forward as well to the new one coming out in the fall.

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I've read all of Liss' other books except The Ethical Assassin. I'd judge this the best. The other's are good, but you do have to pay close attention to the financial details. They all deal with murder and mayhem and some sort of financial shenanigans. I'm looking forward as well to the new one coming out in the fall.

Ann
Thanks, Ann. I'm going to try The Coffee Trader and see how it goes. The sample was good. The Ethical Assassin didn't look like my cup of tea.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I don't know. I feel like not everything got resolved. Both Ethan and Joan got their happy endings, in a way, but I feel that, for Joan, it was a very hollow victory.

Truthfully, while it wasn't horrible, I would never have picked it up on my own. I was a little bored by it, and really got bogged down by all that financial stuff. Some of the characters I didn't find believable (Pearson and Lavien), and I was annoyed by some others (Cynthia). I don't really know anything about finance, but I thought the danger to the country by the fall of the banks was over-exaggerated. Actually, the reason I was late posting questions sometimes was because I just didn't feel like getting the reading done. The only parts of the book I enjoyed were Joan's, after Andrew's death.

She could probably have thought of a method that involved less violence and death. And she didn't even succeed.

I thought it was pretty much the only way that everything could have worked out.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I hear you on all the money, bank, investment stuff.  If you aren't into that I could see where it would be boring.  I have my securities license and do some retirement investment consulting so I found the money aspect quite fascinating in light of the present day banking debacle.
Thank you posting the questions each week.   

1 - 20 of 24 Posts