Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I love my Kindle and I am still super excited....but when I am at home (and I really do live out in the middle of nowhere -but I thought the whisper network would "roam"). - No Whisper. I do have cell where I live and there is a tower about 1 mile away as the crow flies - just not Sprint. So, I guess I won't be waking up with my morning paper on my Kindle unless I am traveling, because at home - I have to drive 5 miles before my Kindle get the "whispernet"[/size] signal.

So I guess I will just be reading that many more books:)

A

·
0 Posts
There is a coverage map on the Kindle page. You should have checked it before you purchased, but if you don't mind using the USB cord to download your content (and yes, that includes newspapers!) then it's all good. :) It's really not too much of a hassle. Enjoy your new Kindle! :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Newspaper navigation leaves something to be desired in the Kindle IME anyway. I tried out the NY times and didn't really like it on Kindle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm all the way in Australia, no WhisperNet here, but I manage just fine. I think I'd rather the increased battery life over the WhisperSync feature anyway, to be honest. I can still buy all the books I want from Amazon using a computer, organise them with Calibre on my Mac (which I would have done anyway regardless of WhisperSync), and transfer them via USB onto my Kindle. I get all my news through RSS anyways, who needs a newspaper?! :D

I can see how it would be a little disappointing to not have WhisperNet where you live, but don't let it take away anything from the Kindle experience. What it does best is allow you to read books cheaply, conveniently and comfortably. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Luckily I don't run into this problem but I do leave my WN off most of the time anyway just to conserve battery. I only turn it on just when I want to let a book,newspaper etc. come through. But I have heard alot of people that just connect with their USB and it works good as an alternative. Hope you like your kindle and find a good solution!

reemixx said:
I'm all the way in Australia, no WhisperNet here, but I manage just fine. I think I'd rather the increased battery life over the WhisperSync feature anyway, to be honest.

I can see how it would be a little disappointing to not have WhisperNet where you live, but don't let it take away anything from the Kindle experience. What it does best is allow you to read books cheaply, conveniently and comfortably. Everything else is just bells and whistles.
I'm glad we didnt have to choose though. I am glad they still give us the WN technology and just give us the option to leave it turned on/off.

I also agree that I hope it doesnt take away from KindTrish's kindle experience, I hope the USB option works out for her!

·
Registered
257 Posts
koolmnbv said:
I'm glad we didnt have to choose though. I am glad they still give us the WN technology and just give us the option to leave it turned on/off.
Oh, of course. Most definitely. I think WN is what separates the Kindle from a lot of other eReaders for a lot of people. The fact that you don't *need* a computer to use it is fantastic. I just meant that, for me, not having WN isn't anywhere near a dealbreaker. But then, I practically live at my computer ;)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
There is a coverage map on the Kindle page. You should have checked it before you purchased,
That doesn't always work. The map shows coverage in my area, and indeed, my dad has it at his house. My house, however, just about 10 minutes away is in a small area that doesn't have it, but it's too small to put a blip on the map. My landlord (one acre over) has perfect cell phone reception, but I have none. Now, I knew this was a possibility before I got mine, so I'm not upset or anything. My point is that checking the map still doesn't necessarily show you whether or not you will have service.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Unfortunately this is just a limitation of the current satellite coverage, but I'm sure that will continue to improve! Either way, I think you'll enjoy the K2 quite a bit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, the coverage map isn't completely accurate. While I can't really complain about it because I do still have reception, Sprint says I should have 3G coverage when I only ever have 1X. oh the horror, I must wait an extra minute or two for my material!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NYCKindleFan said:
There is a coverage map on the Kindle page. You should have checked it before you purchased, but if you don't mind using the USB cord to download your content (and yes, that includes newspapers!) then it's all good. :) It's really not too much of a hassle. Enjoy your new Kindle! :)
Actually, I did check the coverage maps before my purchase and I am in the coverage area. I bet we all know that there can be dead spots inside a coverage area ;). It is only a minor inconvenience and this morning I picked up the whispernet only 3 miles from home. So I can get the paper on my way into town, just not at home ....yet. And if I am that eager to read it, I can download it and turn on text to speech as I finish my drive into town. I can also try some research on boosting my signal. Have any of you tried to boost your signal?

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and feedback.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I live in a very remote area also and the map showed no Whispernet for my home.  But, I am able to get Whispernet most of the time - snowstorms and thunderstorms really affect it negatively.  But, I have done a lot of experimenting and know which direction to "aim" my Kindle to get a signal.  I guess there is a Sprint tower in that direction.  Also, for some reason, sometimes when I turn Whispernet on, it will only show one or two bars of strength.  If I turn it off.... and then back on again... it will get three or four bars.  I actually have been able to download a new book with as little as two bars.  So, you might want to experiment with your Kindle a little.  I went out on my deck and tried aiming at different directions..... and finally found a signal.  I had to leave it aiming at one spot for a while before it was able to "pull the signal in".  It didn't seem to work at all when I was moving around a lot.  Also, mine gets a Whispernet signal much better when my Kindle is fully charged.  Might work for you too.....  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I never expected WN where I am but no complaints here. I find this a hidden treasure for when I do travel (2-3 times a year) I feel lucky that WN came a little closer It still involves flying but if I had to leave AK for WN then I would only see it every two years or so. the lack of shipping books is so much better. we are laughing as a new release that was released on the 26 is on my K I also ordered DTB and we are still waiting..
I like my kindle
Sylvia

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Like everyone else says, you can download your newspaper via computer, at home without WN.  I wouldn't know how to use WN but then I am like reemixx, out of the country.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
~ Update - Last night - I did get whisper network at home - so it may have to do with weather or a new tower was miraculously activated.  This morning I  woke up to the WSJ  on my Kindle and I found I actually prefer reading the newspaper on my Kindle to holding a huge ink-stinky paper.  It was easy to see the list of articles and browse to the next....

Have I told you all how much I like my Kindle ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
KindTrish said:
~ Update - Last night - I did get whisper network at home - so it may have to do with weather or a new tower was miraculously activated.
Wow, you are so lucky. I check my WN at home every once in awhile hoping for a miracle but it hasn't happened yet. I live in a large city, but I'm up in the hills so we have zero coverage at my house. It's not just Sprint. We have no cell coverage of any kind at our house, but I knew that it wouldn't work prior to getting my K so I wasn't expecting it. The worst thing is that if I just walk a couple hundred yards up my street so that I'm at the top of the hill, I have five bars, but zilch, zero, nada at my house and no real hope of getting any. I know I can use my USB, but I don't usually bother - I just wait until the next day when I go to work or out to run errands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts