Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally cannot use Whispernet, as I cannot pick it up at my house.  The few times I have tried, however, (at my in-laws', etc.) it has actually taken about five minutes or so for a book I order to download to the Kindle.  It takes about the same amount of time to switch a book over to my Kindle that is on my father's (we share an account).

Does anyone else's Whispernet sometimes take this long?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Though it depends, Whispernet generally downloads a book within a minute or so for me. I've emailed things to my kindle and had them arrive no more than two minutes later as well.

However I live in the San Francisco Bay Area which is saturated with cell phone towers. I always have five bars, and it's possible that this makes a difference in speed.

B

·
0 Posts
Ours usually takes about 1-2 minutes.

But I live in the same city as the Alltel HQ.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have found that it is highly variable for me. I Live in the middle of a major metropolitan area, tons of towers everywhere, I almost always have 5 bars etc. Sometimes I can download in about 30 seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes. Sometimes Whispernet is down and I just download it to my laptop. I have found that in nonpeak times, it is much faster.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My download time is sometimes 5 minutes or longer. We have Verizon and At&T where I'm located. I have to drive 30 miles for an area saturated with Sprint. Five minutes is still better than driving 30 minutes to the bookstore.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I live smack dab in the middle between St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL. It's an hour drive both ways to get to Barnes & Noble (my personal favorite) or Borders, if I want a choice. Luckily there is a Borders about 30 miles away in Edwardsville, IL. and the nearest Sprint coverage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Portland Oregon and I frequently see the download notice at the bottom coming in as soon as the "thank you for purchasing or ordering a sample" screen comes up, so it's literally a few seconds some times.  I didn't realize how lucky I am, I guess, although I have occasionally found that emailed documents can take a long time, occasionally over an hour although usually only a few minutes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Takes about a minute for me...but I live in a big city
In the Phoenix area mine downloads in about 30 seconds.
Ya, ya, rub it in! :D. If someone were to look through my windows, they would see me holding my Kindle by open windows, the doorway, etc. I walk around the house and when I get full bars, I stop and try to download. Sometimes my Kindle is propped up in the window if I'm waiting for a download to get better reception. The things we do for books.
Seriously though, I love the Whispernet feature no matter how long it takes to download.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Bluebell said:
Ya, ya, rub it in! :D. If someone were to look through my windows, they would see me holding my Kindle by open windows, the doorway, etc. I walk around the house and when I get full bars, I stop and try to download. Sometimes my Kindle is propped up in the window if I'm waiting for a download to get better reception. The things we do for books.
Seriously though, I love the Whispernet feature no matter how long it takes to download.
A tinfoil hat might help your reception. ;D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Bluebell said:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You want great whispernet reception, here's what you do. First you erect a 100 foot tower. Then you install a 20 foot dish antenna and, here's the important part, you put a NASA grade signal booster on the antenna. It is similar to the ones used by NASA to communicate with the Mars probes. You will probably have to dramatically upgrade your electrical grid to fully power the thing. But once its all done you will get 5 bars on the Kindle reception scale.  :)

Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bluebell said:
I live smack dab in the middle between St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL. It's an hour drive both ways to get to Barnes & Noble (my personal favorite) or Borders, if I want a choice. Luckily there is a Borders about 30 miles away in Edwardsville, IL. and the nearest Sprint coverage.
Where do you live bluebell I grew up in close to that same area. Greene county as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I gave up on trying to use Whispernet.  My house is in a small valley-like area, is surrounded by trees, and has a metal roof.  If I try to turn on Whispernet, my Kindle laughs at me.  LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts