Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding of whispersync is that if you read the same book on multiple devices it will keep track of where you are when you start reading on any of the devices.  Does that mean that you would need to leave whispernet on at all times to make this feature work?  If so, wouldn’t that shorten the time between battery charges?  I only have whispernet on when I am downloading books, so I really don’t know how having it on all of the time would affect my battery.  What if you left it on and did not use your Kindle for several days (can you imagine that?) – would your battery go completely dead?  And if so, what would that mean when they tell you not to let your battery run completely down? 

I am guessing this is no real problem, but I have to have something to worry about.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Since the K2 has a better battery life I think that was a feature they added to the Klassic just because.  That said, I have noticed a significant improvement in battery life since my 1.2 update.  I wish I had timed it prior to getting the update.  And yes, if you left the Whispernet on for several days, you would need to recharge your Kindle Klassic before use.  Apparently the newbie can handle it. 

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
No, you don't need to keep whispernet on all the time. If you know you'll be reading on another device later, turn your whispernet on, go to the menu and click on sync and check for new items (or something along those lines..doing this from memory) It will update everything for you. Then when you use the other device you can sync it.

I always leave my whispernet on. I usually need to charge it every other day. My daughter leaves hers off and usually charges about once a week.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You have to go to your manage your Kindle page on Amazon, down on the bottom is a link that says something like share between devices, or something like that. When you click on that, it says to turn whispersync on (on this manage your kindle page, not device.) You click that. After that you only have to have the whispernet on the kindle, and select sync when you want to do sync between devices. (I am speaking for whispernet, not other whispersync functions.) Please keep in mind that this whispersync DOES NOT SHOW on the manage your kindle page unless you have more than one kindle registered to the same account. I had two kindles, and had the whispersync option. I gave my Kindle one to a friend today, and deregistered it from my account. Now all I have is my Kindle 2 showing as my Kindle. So, the whispersync no longer shows on my Manage my kindle page at all. The link isn't even there, because I now only have one Kindle. I think a lot of people are getting whispernet, and whispersync confused. Whispersync is just a feature you can use on whispernet, if you have more than one kindle on your account. If you do not have at least two kindles registered on your account then the menu on the kindle will say sync and check for new, but nothing except checking for new is really an option. Do I make sense?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't think you need to leave wn on all the time. Just when you download books should be good enough.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That said, I have noticed a significant improvement in battery life since my 1.2 update.
I noticed the same thing Jesslyn. I just hadn't mentioned it b/c I thought maybe I was just seeing things, or had finally gone all the way over the edge. But I'm recharging maybe once a month now, instead of every other week. Which is nice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On the K2 Whispersync is on by default. If you don't have Whispernet on while reading, you can turn it on and manually sync from a menu at any time. You can also turn Whispersync off if you only use one device.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Whispersync isn't an option if you only have one device.  That is what I was attempting to explain.  When I had two Kindles registered on my account, Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 the link was there.  Now that I only have one kindle on my account the turn the whispersync on or off option is no longer viewable on the manage my kindle page.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On the K2, Whispersync is on by default no matter how many devices you have. You control it from the device. Whispersync is for syncing with the Amazon servers, which in turn syncs with your multiple devices if you have them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts