Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm just curious is all.  :D

Amazon don't publish a list, so I can't check that. And obviously it changes from month to month, but I'm curious who the 'regular' top 10 all-star bonus authors (on Amazon.com) are.

I have found two authors who include the title in their bios:
I.T. Lucas
K.F. Breene
and I'm pretty certain Bella Forrest is.

Anyone know of others?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

If you can locate Amazon's top 100 selling book lists (they tend to hide it and move them) then you can see who is on that list.

I wouldn't rely on author's self listing in bios .. too much marketing .. that could have been a snapshot in time like 'that one day' or a top seller for their publisher not all the world top seller, or their publisher played a game with pushing books to retailers with high return credits (sometimes happens with "New York Times Best Selling"). 

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wonder why Amazon does not "name" them explicitly in an email.  we can all kind of guess...but, it is odd not to formally acknowledge them.

One of the names mentionned above plays the book stuffing game...including two chapters of previous novel and first chapter of next novel...whether it technically follows the rules or not...I am not sure. (BTW...just check Amazon reviews from readers complaining).

Mark

·
Registered
255 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
I wonder why Amazon does not "name" them explicitly in an email. we can all kind of guess...but, it is odd not to formally acknowledge them.

One of the names mentionned above plays the book stuffing game...including two chapters of previous novel and first chapter of next novel...whether it technically follows the rules or not...I am not sure. (BTW...just check Amazon reviews from readers complaining).

Mark
A preview to the previous and next book isn't book stuffing.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
I wonder why Amazon does not "name" them explicitly in an email. we can all kind of guess...but, it is odd not to formally acknowledge them.
I'm all for seeing leaderboards as that inspires me personally, but many don't. Some successful authors don't want others to know how much they are making or that they are doing great. Those at the top also get copied most often by others and scammers.

They get plenty of acknowledgment in form of payments and probably some private emails/messages about it.

And Amazon has no interest to show it's data too (which is probably the main thing).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I'd love it if Amazon printed everyone else's data. All of it, from the AMS spend to the exact pages read. But I certainly wouldn't want then printing my data.

It's easy enough to see who's selling by looking at the charts. Just remember to look outside the US top 100, in the subgenre top 100s and in other regions. The US store has a higher ceiling, but there's plenty of money to be made elsewhere (and totally different books doing well, especially in the UK).

·
Registered
462 Posts
If the all-stars were named, they would face significant scrutiny and some practices would be questionned. This was alot of discussion about this more than 2 years ago.

TO the other point, Amazon allows 10% "Bonus" content...but how is this effectively policed? Amazon can't and people have figured it out.

There have been some reviews posted on amazon where readers have complained about filler material in certain "series"...where chapters from the previous novel are included and chapters from the next are also included.

Mark

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
There have been some reviews posted on amazon where readers have complained about filler material in certain "series"...where chapters from the previous novel are included and chapters from the next are also included.

Mark
This is the second time you have brought this up--at least I think it was you, so forgive me if I'm wrong--implying that adding chapter previews from other books in the series in stuffing. It is not. This is standard industry practice and it has been done for decades, first by trad pubs and now by indies.

Of course, there are ways to take something completely legit and turn it into something else. Just be sure you know the difference.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's fine to include some extra chapters, as long as the 10% point isn't exceeded. If readers are complaining, it's likely more than ten percent. People are always trying to get away with something, and Amazon is always playing catch-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts