Kindle Forum banner

Who can you thank in your book?

614 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tensen 
#1 ·
I'm asking this question because I'm currently writing the preface for my novel and am at the part where I can include those that helped me whether through support or inspiration but you you know hat? Some of these folks I've never met in my life and may think I'm just using their names because they're more famous than little ol' me...haha. I've written a Christian fiction and so the ones I'm wondering about are like Dr. Charles Stanley, Kirk Cameron and sorts. I didn't think about it until I actually started typing their names in....is that a little over the top???

#2 ·
Strange, this is two acknowledgment threads I'm commenting on in the span of ten minutes... lol

I would say yes, that's a bit over the top.  You're mentioning people who have influenced your writing, rather than had a direct hand in it.  I've always thought acknowledgments were for the people who, through conscious efforts on their part, were able to help you in some way to get your book finished and published.  That may be your family for supporting you, your editors, people who supplied you (knowingly) with valuable research, etc.  It's not, I don't think, a place to mention everyone that influenced your writing, your idea for the story, or even your belief systems, unless they had a direct and personal hand in it.  But, it's your book, so it's your call.

My advice?  Write a foreword or an afterword, and mention those people who influenced you, like Dr. Stanley and Kirk Cameron, and explain why.  Interested readers will enjoy that little side-trip into the mind of the author and the creative process that went into the book.

#3 ·
I almost always just dedicate my books to my betareaders - people without whom the book truly wouldn't exist. My "thanks" are set aside for people who have helped - the betas, my teachers, etc. Once to my son, because that book was made substantially better due to my experiences with him. These things are usually just a line or two, because they are personal and don't really need explanation.  

I agree, an acknowledgement preface is a bit more warranted if you want to thank strangers or celebrities or influential heroes, etc., so you can explain it a little.

ETA: I am thinking an afterward might treat you better, since that wouldn't cut into your Kindle sample.

#4 ·
Wow, this is the topic for the day, isn't it?  ;) For my small press books I used to thank my editor and my publisher. Now that I'm self-publishing I skip acknowledgements altogether and just have a dedication page that says "For ________" (well, obviously I fill in a name or two).

But if you've hired a cover artist, editor, and formatter I think it might be a nice gesture to thank them in the book too if you want. I just mention the name of my editor and cover artist (me) on the copyright page.

#6 ·
Thank whoever you want. If a person provided inspiration it is okay to let the world know. Besides, when your book takes off I am sure those people will find out about your dedication and be honored that they inspired you. Famous people 'need love' too.  :)

#7 ·
This is what I wrote about my sister in my acknowledgements, which I thought was funny:

"I must recognize my sister, Stacey, who said she did not want to be in the acknowledgements because no one ever reads them. But it's important to thank her for her tireless hours of reading my scribble and making editorial suggestions. Also, without her locking me in a suitcase when I was five, I would never have acquired the travel bug so soon in life."

This is what soon landed in my email box after she read that:

"In light of this I must insist that all following mentions of me are free of incriminating and/or humiliating nostalgic references. I am like the Casey Anthony of sisters thanks."

I should also mention my sister is an attorney.

#8 ·
Personally, I would keep it to the people who had a direct influence on your life or your book. And by direct, I mean they did something that inspired or helped you along your publishing journey without a 6-degrees of separation. :) But that's just me. :) Good luck with it!

Aimee

#10 ·
If you truly mean to thank them for their inspiration in your life in influencing the writing do so. But probably make a note that you've never met them or interacted with them. Otherwise somewhere down the line you may geta new quote to use, "I never heard of this deranged person in my life and I wish they'd stop mentioning my name when they are writing their drivel."  ::)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.