Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local magazine is doing a cover story on me and they've just posted a Youtube video of myself reading an excerpt from Chapter One of my first YA novel - Sinking Deeper.

Check it out. Let me know what you think.

I was a little nervous at the time...so if I stammer, forgive me.

How many of you other writers have got a video of you reading publicly? I bet you a lot of folks here would get a kick out of seeing the person behind the pages...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I hate public speaking, so it's unlikely you'll ever see me do it. Plus, my voice is common as muck. I'd get someone else to read it, or sing it instead. ;D

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up until thirty I was terrified of public speaking, but a year at Toastmasters turned the tide.

Now, you get me up in front of a mike and I don't shut up.

But I was oddly nervous at that reading. Small crowds do that me sometimes.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, Rejean.

As a working oral tradition storyteller I can tell you that there is an undeniable need for people to hear stories read and told to them. I think more writers ought to explore this avenue.

Still, I've never really got around to doing it myself. I just rely on the occasional video filmed and posted by someone else.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have no fear of it, just never did it... yet.

Interesting to see a response about reading short stories like that and they are popular.  God bless the internet, right?  haha :)

Might be something worth looking into.  I've often thought about starting a radio show via BlogTalkRadio to talk about books, writing, etc. and read excerpts.  (Just need the time!)

Oh, and FYI... the face on your book, Nothing to Lose, from afar, looks just like The Undertaker from WWF wrestling... I love it!  Just added the book to my wishlist. 

-jb 8)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Gulp. Here's the first and only reading I've given, from March of 2010. My first chapter has been refined a bit since then, but the story's still the same. I was a little nervous, especially in the beginning.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great, Moses.

I was looking at the two so far - yours and Rejean's - trying to decide which one I liked better. My immediate gut response was that I would prefer Moses over Rejean - because it had a little more action to it. But when I actually looked at them both I kind of liked seeing Rejean there, sitting in a big fat comfortable chair. The extra "props" kind of grounded the reading.

At the time of my reading, as I mentioned, I was giving a reading to publicize my latest regional release. That is, an actual hard copy book. It got me to thinking and wondering just how many "reading" opportunities I would have as a strictly e-book writer.

I wonder, is it any harder for an e-book writer to publicize his/her work through the mainstream - rather than just online venues?

I'm new at this e-book game. Does anyone have an opinion on this question?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Good job on yours, Steve. Hey, you sound like some kind of Yankee. What, are you from NY? MA?

Just kiddin' ;D

I liked how Rejean was sitting in a chair, too, but with modern attention spans being short, I think it also helps to have more movement or action. Btw, I was reading for my local writers' group when we recorded mine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For those that are reluctant to pick up even a free copy it works great as a teaser to catch their interest.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Steve Vernon said:
Okay, so this is definitely an aside and quite honestly self-serving - but take a look at the cover for this weekend's HALIFAX MAGAZINE!

http://twitpic.com/5m3zam
That's killer.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
balaspa said:
I was given this idea by a PR professional. Since it is harder to do readings and signings with the books being available only electronically, she suggested virtual readings.

So, I have my own YouTube Channel. I have several readings and discussions about my books on there:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chicagowriter1234?feature=mhee
Neat idea. I think you could use a much better camera, though. I got a Sony HD Handycam that's fricking amazing for around $500.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
balaspa said:
I was given this idea by a PR professional. Since it is harder to do readings and signings with the books being available only electronically, she suggested virtual readings.

So, I have my own YouTube Channel. I have several readings and discussions about my books on there:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chicagowriter1234?feature=mhee
Very neat idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts