Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Munchkin, who is at the I-know-everything-and-will-argue-until-blue age of 12, was required to bake something at home today for his home economics class. Why they offer home economics in sixth grade with no kitchens for the students to use at the school is beyond me.

This is the reason I only have one child: zero patience! I'm so glad the sugar cookie fiasco is over. Deep breaths.

So, what did your twelve-year-old do today?

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Angela Carlie said:
So, what did your twelve-year-old do today?
Um, I was a twelve year old once. Is that anything like having one? ;) Seriously, my kids are only five and six right now but my day is coming... Good luck to you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a 12-year-old.  No home ec offered in her school, though.  She did come home the other day with an assignment to create a cook book based on ancient Greek recipes, and to provide samples of the food for her class--and the food was required to be "store bought".  So.....where do you buy ancient Greek food, and why should I be required to pay for that?  :mad: 

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yesterday my 12-yo worked on his Spanish and keyboarding a little (we homeschool, but are on summer mode now) and played first base in a baseball game that his team lost.  The other team had a walk-off grand slam and won 7 to 6.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
GreenThumb said:
So.....where do you buy ancient Greek food, and why should I be required to pay for that? :mad:
What did ancient Greeks eat? Only Greek food I can think of that may have been around in ancient times is olives and feta cheese. We weren't there hundreds of years ago (thousands?) and parents weren't in the child's class today.

·
Registered
421 Posts
LOL.  I googled recipes ancient Greece & there are actually websites about Greek food with recipes included.  I think for school I'd go with honey.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GreenThumb said:
I have a 12-year-old. No home ec offered in her school, though. She did come home the other day with an assignment to create a cook book based on ancient Greek recipes, and to provide samples of the food for her class--and the food was required to be "store bought". So.....where do you buy ancient Greek food, and why should I be required to pay for that? :mad:
Okay. I'm done complaining! hahaha Oh my. Where in Washington do you buy stuff like that--besides Seattle?

·
Registered
424 Posts
My youngest (of four kids) just turned thirteen. His main talent is convincing his dad he neeeeeeds things like subscriptions to online games . . . or, most recently, his own cell phone. His sisters had to get jobs and pay for their own phones. Learning the value of a dollar and all that. I cringe to think what level the boy's powers may reach by the time he's old enough to neeeeeed a car.  :eek:

But he likes to cook, and sometimes his homework is to make dinner for the family. I lucked out there, didn't I. :)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Mine's only 8 but practicing to be 12.  She has the eye-roll down pat, and the "But Mamaaaa...." in that exasperated pre-teen tone.

But thankfully, she does not yet know who Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber are.  :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
12 is, um, special isn't it?

I have a 12 year old girl and a boy that will be 12 in 6 weeks. (they are less than a year apart, Dh's and mine from different marriages). I think I will lose my mind. I'm really getting tired of being the dumbest creature to walk the earth. Along with all the other parents (they each have two sets of parents).

The best thing? I also have a 10.5 year old girl and a nearly 9 year old girl. 12 is going to be the death of me. Especially the girls. The fake airheadedness is the worst.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
When I went to school in Florida in the sixth grade we had home ec. Then switched to a DODDES (department of defense d____ education system) and had in eighth grade

·
Registered
424 Posts
Shellybean said:
12 is, um, special isn't it?

The best thing? I also have a 10.5 year old girl and a nearly 9 year old girl. 12 is going to be the death of me. Especially the girls. The fake airheadedness is the worst.
I don't know for sure it's fake. IMO, their bodies are going through so much right now, their brains get left behind for a while. Mine older three have recovered, for the most part. Hang in there. ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,356 Posts
Have to agree with Colette . . at least some of it is probably hormonal airheadedness. . . . and may be as frustrating to them as to you! :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have 10 yrs before I have a 12 yr old (and I'm dreading it), but I did have to deal w/ my then 12 yr old niece when she lived w/ my ILs for about 6 mths (her mom had surgery that went bad so they moved in w/ ILs since they don't have a support system out where they live and MIL and FIL had drs appts they couldn't miss). I was the only one she would listen to, so I would frequently sit her down and explain to her why her actions were unacceptable. One time she got into a huge fight w/ MIL, she didn't want to go to school, she didn't learn, etc. MIL, who is unflappable, was near tears. I (6 mths preggers @ the time) sat down my niece and had a
"come to deity"
convo w/ her. Things got better after that. Niece is now almost 15 and she still tells her parents she likes coming to my house b/c I make her "mind her manners" (translation, I won't let her get away w/ anything and I am consistant). I'm hoping DD won't be as hard to parent when she turns 12 b/c she'll be used to my parenting (and I know this may be wishful thinking)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have a 13yo boy and one who will be 12 in two months. It doesn't get better, as far as I can tell. How did I spend my Easter Sunday this year? After getting a phone call from another parent after we got home from church, I found out my son needed a full costume for Latin class, including tunic, subtonic, sandals, and decorative items. There were instructions on how to sew the costume appropriately for each class of citizen. Mind you, all fabric stores are closed on Easter Sunday, and we are having dinner with the grandparents out of town. I had to ransack the closets to find some muslin, grabbed a glue gun and some wine and off we went. We managed to pull it off, but I was furious with him! Apparently the costume was worth 20% of their grade! Some of the girls' outfits were stunning, most of the boys outfits looked like my sons LOL.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hsuthard said:
I have a 13yo boy and one who will be 12 in two months. It doesn't get better, as far as I can tell. How did I spend my Easter Sunday this year? After getting a phone call from another parent after we got home from church, I found out my son needed a full costume for Latin class, including tunic, subtonic, sandals, and decorative items. There were instructions on how to sew the costume appropriately for each class of citizen. Mind you, all fabric stores are closed on Easter Sunday, and we are having dinner with the grandparents out of town. I had to ransack the closets to find some muslin, grabbed a glue gun and some wine and off we went. We managed to pull it off, but I was furious with him! Apparently the costume was worth 20% of their grade! Some of the girls' outfits were stunning, most of the boys outfits looked like my sons LOL.
HAHA--Oh, I so feel your pain...it always happens like that with my kids too. sigh

1 - 20 of 55 Posts