Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Not me (that wasn't what you asked).

If ETs had the technology to travel here, they wouldn't be insane enough to stay on this lunatic planet. Iran will have nukes in a few months. The polar caps are melting. The Great Garbage Patch in the Pacific is bigger than the state of Texas and there are garbage patches in all the other oceans, too. The list goes on. If I had a starship, I would look for a better piece of real estate than Planet Earth.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have to agree. If aliens were advanced enough to travel here they'd either wipe us out like insects and take over the planet or they would keep it moving.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
To sound like a hippie - aren't we all just space dust?  Doesn't that make us all ETs?

Anyway, it would explain some of the things you see around here - but I am thinking it's probably no.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
balaspa said:
To sound like a hippie - aren't we all just space dust? Doesn't that make us all ETs?

Anyway, it would explain some of the things you see around here - but I am thinking it's probably no.
Yes, we all have to be ETs for somebody somewhere. I like that poster of the Milky Way with the "You are Here" arrow pointing to a tiny cul-de-sac on one of the outer spiral arms.

The ABC News documentary "Seeing is Believing," narrated by the late Peter Jennings, is one of my favorite DVDs. They traced the UFO phenomena in the USA from the late '40s to the present, pointing out the thousands of UFO sightings by commercial and military pilots.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I believe that, with the billions of galaxies in the universe, there is almost certainly other intelligent life out there somewhere. Don't believe they're here though.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAGrant said:
If ETs had the technology to travel here, they wouldn't be insane enough to stay on this lunatic planet. Iran will have nukes in a few months. The polar caps are melting. The Great Garbage Patch in the Pacific is bigger than the state of Texas and there are garbage patches in all the other oceans, too. The list goes on. If I had a starship, I would look for a better piece of real estate than Planet Earth.
But that's assuming they've got their stuff together better than we do. Theoretically, a space-faring race could exist that has a bad habit of completely trashing planets. They might think Earth is in pretty good shape. And due for a galactic trashing.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I'm skeptical. I see no evidence (yet) that there is even life elsewhere, much less intelligent life that could travel here.

I don't disbelieve the existence of alien life, just waiting for evidence.

Mike

·
Registered
690 Posts
jmiked said:
I'm skeptical. I see no evidence (yet) that there is even life elsewhere, much less intelligent life that could travel here.

I don't disbelieve the existence of alien life, just waiting for evidence.

Mike
There's definitely no evidence, and I'm willing to bet that there never will be. Still, when you think of the fact that there's estimated to be about 100 billion galaxies in the universe, and just an absolutely absurd number of planets in those galaxies (a conservative estimate I've seen is 6 sextrillion), it seems HIGHLY unlikely that we're the one and only planet who won the "life" lottery. So, while I would never definitively declare that alien life exists, because no one knows for sure, I'd be very shocked if it didn't. As I said though, I doubt they're here or that they've ever been here or that they ever will be.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I remember visiting some ancient ruins in Yucatan when I was a kid.  One of the walls of a temple had a guy sitting next to what was obviously a picture of a light bulb.  That image has stuck with me to this day. So I'm not sure what exactly happened, but there is some really strange out there.

BTW, I love watching "Ancient Aliens" and have you seen the guy with the big hair?  My kids laugh hysterically when he comes on.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Christopher Bunn said:
But that's assuming they've got their stuff together better than we do. Theoretically, a space-faring race could exist that has a bad habit of completely trashing planets. They might think Earth is in pretty good shape. And due for a galactic trashing.
We're doing a pretty good job of trashing the earth ourselves. Evidence shows we're in the middle of a mass extinction of plants and animals.

Also, if ETs could travel here, they would have to have their stuff together far better than we do. We don't have the ability to send human beings beyond our moon, let alone stay in space for extended periods of time and travel enormous distances. I tend to go with the ABC News documentary "Seeing is Believing" that I mentioned above. They interviewed commercial and military pilots who saw UFOs. The pilot accounts were impressive and included radar clips.

If ETs are really visiting us, maybe they're monitoring us as savages with nukes to be sure we don't spread our type of friendliness into the wild black yonder.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
If they are here, maybe they aren't really from another planet, but another dimension.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think it's a lot more likely we'll be visited by machines built by an alien species than the aliens themselves. Something that can travel through space without all the pesky deteriorating side effects. Who knows. Maybe there's a probe making its way across an American suburb right now. It moves a few inches, scoops up a soil sample, analyzes it, sends a transmission, moves a few more inches, scoops up a soil sample, analyzes it, sends a transmission, moves a more few inches... All the locals know about it and assume it was built at the nearest military base. The neighborhood children call it Mr. Steve and take turns riding it.

...I think I have to go write a short story about this now.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Betsy, now that was just mean!  ;D

I don't believe in ETs, but it would be fun if they existed.  I feel the same about ghosts and sasquatchs and the like.  I don't believe in them, but if you could show it to me and it was credible, I'd think "cool!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts