Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in an old 20's colonial that never had a central air update.  I live in upstate NY, so there aren't too many horrifically hot days, and we have big trees shading the house.  Usually, fans are good enough.  But today and tomorrow will be around 90 and I will be hot and crabby, and probably hide in the cool basement.  Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
We live in an old 20's colonial that never had a central air update. I live in upstate NY, so there aren't too many horrifically hot days, and we have big trees shading the house. Usually, fans are good enough. But today and tomorrow will be around 90 and I will be hot and crabby, and probably hide in the cool basement. Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm in upstate NY as well (S. Tier) and my house is 25 yrs old. Didn't have AC when we bought it in 99, but had the ductwork for forced hot air. Added central air in 02 and am very glad to have it. I think it's getting hotter/more humid w/each passing summer. My folks house is over 100 yrs old & they have window AC units. I would be a real crab too :(

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My hubby likes it hot and thinks we don't need a window unit for the few days we'd be uncomfortable.  Where in the southern tier do you live?  I'm in Batavia.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
OMG.  I live in upstate NY also (Albany area) and have just two window units in the bedrooms.  I try and cool down the whole house with them but it only does a so so job and then I get no real ventilation so the house feels totally shut up.  I have been running them constantly for over a week even though it has only been moderately hot as these days I am always warm and uncomfortable and I can't stand it.  I wish I had put in central air years ago.  I have the ducts but a very old furnace and have been waiting for it to kick for 18 years.  It keeps going strong.  Now, I don't know how much longer I will be in this house so I don't know if it's worth it to do.  But I get more uncomfortable with each summer.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just have to chime in here...I couldn't live without AC. Of course I live in Texas and it will be close to 100 today (and is for a lot of the summer). I feel for you guys!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I live in the south of Spain, in the mountains and I don't even have mains electricity never mind AC. When it's really hot, I just move very slowly and lie down a lot, and drink cold beer. I do have a pool though so if things get really hot...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
My hubby likes it hot and thinks we don't need a window unit for the few days we'd be uncomfortable. Where in the southern tier do you live? I'm in Batavia.
I never minded heat or cold as a kid but now I really notice it and am not fond of either. But i'll take cold over heat anyday; I can always add a layer. I'm in the Binghamton area. I've heard of Batavia but not sure where it is.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
corkyb said:
OMG. I live in upstate NY also (Albany area) and have just two window units in the bedrooms. I try and cool down the whole house with them but it only does a so so job and then I get no real ventilation so the house feels totally shut up. I have been running them constantly for over a week even though it has only been moderately hot as these days I am always warm and uncomfortable and I can't stand it. I wish I had put in central air years ago. I have the ducts but a very old furnace and have been waiting for it to kick for 18 years. It keeps going strong. Now, I don't know how much longer I will be in this house so I don't know if it's worth it to do. But I get more uncomfortable with each summer.
Yikes, corkyb, I'd spend all my time in one of the bedrooms if I were you. My parents just replaced their furnace after 40 yrs!! It didn't even die on it's own, but at that age was very in-efficient. I wouldn't count on yours to croak too soon at only 18 yrs. It's a tough call on adding central AC if you're not sure how long you'll be there. In 02 I think it cost about 5k for condenser unit and new furnace. Maybe you could just get a couple more window units for your living spaces?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nina Croft said:
I live in the south of Spain, in the mountains and I don't even have mains electricity never mind AC. When it's really hot, I just move very slowly and lie down a lot, and drink cold beer. I do have a pool though so if things get really hot...
Can I please come live with you? :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
The other option is to move to the Seattle area. We've only had two days this summer over 80F. It's been horrible!!! Swim meets where everyone is wearing layers of fleece!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, we started having 100 degree days in June! I go from ac house to ac car to ac business, not much outdoor time in this heat.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Texans, I feel ya. I grew up in Htown -- the H is for heat, humidity, and oh yeah, Houston. :p

Now I live in Cincinnati, and the weather is definitely milder, but BOTH my home a/c AND my car a/c went out last week, when it was in the 90s. I was miserable. Took a few days but I finally got everything fixed. Worth (almost) every penny!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Tess St John said:
I just have to chime in here...I couldn't live without AC. Of course I live in Texas and it will be close to 100 today (and is for a lot of the summer). I feel for you guys!
louiseb said:
I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, we started having 100 degree days in June! I go from ac house to ac car to ac business, not much outdoor time in this heat.
103 here right now.. and I can't live without AC. Funny how the 3 of us with ac's... are all in TX.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a friend who grew up in New England and moved to Arizona.  Her first summer there, it was so hot, she'd throw up occasionally.  I really think I'd rather be cold than hot.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
I really think I'd rather be cold than hot.
Which is why I continually try to convince DH we need to move somewhere in the PNW or northern Nevada.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I live for most of the year in South India... AND we don't have A/C. Granted, I'm usually gone in the hottest months. But really, it's always hot. And often what you could really us A/C for is the humidity, not the heat, because mold gets in all your stuff.

That said, we do okay with fans. (Although I've been known to take a *bit* too long at the ATM. Always air-conditioned.)

I think city heat is the worst, though. Without cool breezes, you must have A/C. And we don't get much done at all when it's very hot. Unless it's 5:00 in the morning. Certainly not writing. If you sit down, you fall asleep.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I live in Los Angeles without AC. Usually, it's not too bad. My house is a 1930s Spanish, so it keeps the cool air in fairly well. But when it get really hot - blech.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We're on a little ranch in southeastern Arizona--high desert, not as hot as Phoenix/Tucson/Yuma, etc., but it still hits or tops 100 fairly often during the summer (and then gets cold in the winter; coldest we've seen here was -23 with wind chill factored in). We have a swamp cooler, and during the summer I put in a couple of window air conditioners in the bedrooms. During monsoon season, which just started, it's often so humid out that the swamp cooler provides little relief. We also have ceiling fans. Fortunately for me, I would always rather be warm than cold.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts