Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 900 Posts

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, we were discussing favorite lines from favorite movies so I thought it might be fun to expand on that. Tell us your favorite line from a book or movie and let us guess at the title.

My first contribution is this topic's title. I thought I'd make it easy this time. If Leslie's watching she'll have it before my screen refreshes.

Jeff

G

·
I tried to read this book four times and finally gave up. Odd, perhaps, since I thoroughly enjoyed The Fountainhead.

G

·
Jeff said:
You win, Jim. Or maybe nobody cares who John Galt is, other than us.

As to your comment: you may have to be a dyed-in-the-wool, neo-capitalist, flag-waver, like me, to enjoy Ayn Rand. It also helps to be young and idealistic, which I am no longer.
Like I said, I liked The Fountainhead quite a bit. And while I don't necessarily buy into her Neitzchean philosophies, I certainly enjoy all the Rush songs that she inspired. ;)

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
Like I said, I liked The Fountainhead quite a bit. And while I don't necessarily buy into her Neitzchean philosophies, I certainly enjoy all the Rush songs that she inspired. ;)
I read what you said and what I thought you didn't say.

With The Fountainhead (1943) she was a little more cautious in expressing her political and economic views. She let them all hang out in Atlas Shrugged (1957).

Where's your famous quote? I wanted to guess at one before I have to log off.

G

·
This is too easy too, but is is maybe my favorite book line ever:

"The huge golden space ship hung in the air in almost exactly the way a brick doesn't"

Like I said, too easy. :(

·
Registered
731 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
This is too easy too, but is is maybe my favorite book line ever:

"The huge golden space ship hung in the air in almost exactly the way a brick doesn't"

Like I said, too easy. :(
And here I was expecting: "The man in black fled across the desert".

I liked Atlas Shrugged much more than The Fountainhead and have read it several times. I've yet to actually read all of Galt's 80+ page (4000 locations? more) radio speech and after 8 or 9 readings, I doubt that I ever will.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Here's the opening paragraph from my favorite author.

I was in London when I first heard of Dinah Slade.  She was broke and looking for a millionaire, while I was rich and looking for a mistress.  From the start we were deeply compatible.

And no ... it's not from Outlander nor is it a romance novel. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ScottBooks said:
I liked Atlas Shrugged much more than The Fountainhead and have read it several times. I've yet to actually read all of Galt's 80+ page (4000 locations? more) radio speech and after 8 or 9 readings, I doubt that I ever will.
It took me at least four readings to get through Galt's speech. My favorite of Rand's is actually We The Living. It's more autobiographical, except for the end, of course.

·
Registered
731 Posts
While we wait for Tessa to pick the perfect quote...

"Not everybody knows how I killed old Phillip Mathers, smashing his jaw in with my spade; but first it is better to speak of my friendship with John Divney because it was he who first knocked old Mathers down by giving him a great blow in the neck with a special bicycle-pump which he manufactured himself out of a hollow iron bar."

This is the first line of an older science fiction (kind of) book that "Lost" fans might have read.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ScottBooks said:
While we wait for Tessa to pick the perfect quote...

"Not everybody knows how I killed old Phillip Mathers, smashing his jaw in with my spade; but first it is better to speak of my friendship with John Divney because it was he who first knocked old Mathers down by giving him a great blow in the neck with a special bicycle-pump which he manufactured himself out of a hollow iron bar."

This is the first line of an older science fiction (kind of) book that "Lost" fans might have read.
It sounds so familiar to me, so I cheated and looked it up. I'm sure I've never read it, but the opening is absolutely fascinating.

1 - 20 of 900 Posts