Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who buys the 99 cent books?  Do you think they people who never used to buy books?  I see things mentioned here and there, but has anyone investigated this?

Kate

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It's thousands upon thousands of people.  I doubt you can really classify them in the way you're wondering.  Some of them may be hardcore, lifetime readers, and some may be folks who never read much till they got their Kindle.  I honestly don't think there's any way of knowing!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I buy 99c books. I have nothing to lose if the books is not very good/not very well written. Conversely I have found some absolute gems that I'd have paid a lot more for.

I sell at 99c too. I'm an unknown indie and I wouldn't expect anyone to part with their hard-earned cash for a book by an author they've never heard of.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
The buyers are everyone who wants the book and is willing to pay 99 cents or more. This includes people willing to pay $.99, $1.99, $2.99, $4.99, and $9.99.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
The buyers are everyone who wants the book and is willing to pay 99 cents or more. This includes people willing to pay $.99, $1.99, $2.99, $4.99, and $9.99.
This.

I buy 99 cent books, but I also buy $12.99 books. I just buy books. If it interests me, I buy it. Period.

I buy significantly more at the $2.99 and higher range than at the 99 cent range. I buy very few 99 cent books, although I do buy some.

To me, it's not about the price point. It's about the story. If it is something I want to read, I buy it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm the opposite way.  I had my book priced at $0.99, and one day, I was browsing through DSi download games and said to myself, "well, let's skip ahead to the games that the developers think are worth something."  I know, different markets and all, but if I skip past games for being priced too low, and I like to think of myself as a microcosm of my target audience, then the obvious choice is to price my book higher.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
If there was some way of proving Terrence's contention, the implications would be profound.

Just for the record, going on my own experience and anecdotes from elsewhere, I don't agree with Terrence beyond $2.99.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I buy books at $.99, but not many. I still have my favorite authors from pre-self pubbing and they are never that inexpensive (at least not for new releases). At that low of a price I have to really like the cover and blurb. I think I'm actually more picky in that price range because I have been disappointed too many times (rarely from authors here though). Now, I just finished reading Bridesmaid Lotto by Rachel Astor (she's here on KB) and LOVED her book. I would have paid so much more for it because it was just that good. Would I have tried her at a higher price? Yes. Great cover, great description and good reviews... what more can you ask for? I think it might be getting harder to stand out at the lower price because so many are pricing at $.99.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I buy books at every price. Love it when I can get one for 99 cents.

REALLY balk at paying high prices, 12.99 for example, for an eBook. But I hate to admit that I did buy a couple by two of my favorite authors.

All I know is that I have always spent way too much money on books. And my Kindle has only made that problem much worse!  :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
DebBennett said:
I buy 99c books. I have nothing to lose if the books is not very good/not very well written. Conversely I have found some absolute gems that I'd have paid a lot more for.

I sell at 99c too. I'm an unknown indie and I wouldn't expect anyone to part with their hard-earned cash for a book by an author they've never heard of.
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"If there was some way of proving Terrence's contention, the implications would be profound.
Just for the record, going on my own experience and anecdotes from elsewhere, I don't agree with Terrence beyond $2.99."

It's a general case. A consumer willing to pay X + Y for something has no choice. He can only pay X.

However, in this case, we lack the data to determine the distribution of consumers at prices above 99 cents.

When a book is 99 cents, a certain segment of buyers are willing to pay no more than 99 cents, but another segment is willing to pay more.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bob Mayer said:
No clue, but they are out there and they can be a great way to lead a series and get readers.
He's on to something. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a 99 cent book that is the first in the series, and then gone on to buy the rest of the books. Just in the past month, I've bought the H.P. Mallory, Jolie Wilkins series, the J.R. Rain, Vampire for Hire series, the Heather Killough-Walden, Big bad Wolf Series, plus a whole bunch of other 99 cent books as well. If I like the first in a series, I immediately buy the rest, even if they are as high as $4.99. I think it's a viable business model for authors who release series. Draw us in for cheap and then reap the rewards when we rush to buy up everything else you write.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My guess is there are a lot like Ben and Rebecca who deliberately search out the $.99 books and then some like me. I share Kathelm's prejudice against the $.99 price but occasionally get lured in by descriptions, hearing others say how good it is, etc. I just finished my first John Locke book the other night - his western Follow the Stone. If all $.99ers were like that, I'd become an addict searching them out too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.