Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons are each clamoring for a Kindle of their own. I saw in another thread where one family has four Kindles already. How about you? Can you beat that record? And do you link the Kindles to gift cards, separate CCs, or what? Because if I let my kids have unlimited access to one-click ordering, nobody's going to make it to college.

On the other hand, with all of that reading, they should get free rides....

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have four Kindles on our account.  I have one, DH has one, my MIL has one, and my aunt has one.  I don't keep a credit card on the account.  My MIL and aunt kept one clicking by mistake.  So now when I want to buy a book, I gift from another account to the Kindle account.  If my MIL and aunt ever want to buy a book, they will need to either buy it on their own account or gift the book knowing that ultimately they are giving the book to us.

I have 5 kids who I expect will all have Kindles some day so we could have a lot of Kindles on our account!  We also have two iPhones, one iPad, and three iPods linked to the account.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
3 for 2 people. My husband has a K2 and I have a K3 3G and a Wifi Special Offers for no good reason other than to see how fast the SO would pay for itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have 4---one for each of us.  Everyone is on my account and are on their honor to check before buying.  Since the boys know I get an email for every purchase (even the free ones) they've been very good about checking first before they buy.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Even though all the kids are grown I have bought Kindles for everyone. We are all on the same account with no problems. We have 2 in the house, all 3 of my girls, my sister and 2 nieces on the same account. That makes 8 on the account. So far no problems of books being on to many at once.  I also have my computer, iPhone and iPad on the account which I never read on. Everyone has their own credit card on the account and just change to buy their own books.

·
6,036 Posts
I bought a K2 and a DX and then later replaced both with a K3 and a DXG, so at one point I had four all to myself! Since then I've passed on the two older ones to other people and just have my DXG for at home and my K3 for when out and about.

·
Registered
508 Posts
7 Kindles plus two I-Pads and a desk top.  The Kindles are with my sister in California, my best friend in Florida, my great-niece in North Carolina, my niece and her husband in Nova Scotia, and two at our house.  The I-pads are both in our house (though neither is used for reading), and the computer is up in Canada for the downloading onto those two Kindles. 

The account is tied to one of my credit cards, however remains funded with gift cards purchased by everyone when books are purchased.  (We try to keep a balance of $50 - $100 on the account just in case someone HAS to have a book before pay day.) 

This actually works amazingly well.  Gift cards get sent to me and applied to the account, and given the variety of ages, interests and educational levels, we have a marvelously eclectic assortment of books available.  (I, for one, have been introduced to whole new genres I hadn't known existed.)

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
hm. on my account... 2 K1's, 3 K2i's, 1K3, devices with Kindle apps, 2 laptops, 1 iPad, 1 iTouch, 1 iPhone3.

so that makes.. 11 on the account, but only 6 are Kindles.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I upgraded my Kindle 1 to a Kindle 2, and then bought my girlfriend a Kindle 3.  Later I felt like I had to buy a used Kindle DX on eBay -- just so we'd have a complete set!

And of course, I also use the Kindle app on my smartphone...  :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought I had read that the limit was 6 devices on one account, and I had assumed Kindle apps were counted against that.  Since I am reading of numbers greater than this, what is the actual limit, and what counts against it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think L.A Broom may be my grandmother  ;)

So...so far, record kindle # is 8, record kindle + app is 11? Am I seeing that correctly?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
A.D. Bloom said:
I buy a new, dedicated kindle for every e-book I buy. Then I put all the kindles in a row on a shelf I used to use for paper books.
And they still take up less room! Of course, the electricity to keep them all charged...

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
LOL!!  Well I have four.. K1 (loaned out but she's not using it, but she has decided she wants a K3 for Christmas), K2 (was loaned out for a year but is back now), DX refurb and K3.

No, I have not picked up a SO.

Oh and I did buy a K2 refurb as a gift too.. but that isn't on my account.

I think the device limit is per book.. 5 or 6 active devices, but you can have more devices, just not the same book on ALL if you have more than 6.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
labread said:
I thought I had read that the limit was 6 devices on one account, and I had assumed Kindle apps were counted against that. Since I am reading of numbers greater than this, what is the actual limit, and what counts against it?
You can have as many devices as you want registered to the account, whether they be Kindles, computers, tablets, or smartphones.

But each book may have a device limit -- meaning only that many devices can have the book actually loaded at the same time. Unless it says otherwise in the book description, that limit is 6, though some have a lower number and some (especially those published independently or in the public domain anyway) will say "unlimited."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts