·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Oooohhhh .... I DO, I DO!!! And yep, we are dating ourselves  ;D

I didn't do a lot of it, but I did enjoy it.

Another weird English class thing I enjoyed: one of my high school English teachers had everyone select a paragraph from the newspaper and find the word origin of every word in the sentence. That was the beginning of my enthrallment with languages. I think I would have enjoyed being a linguist.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CegAbq said:
Another weird English class thing I enjoyed: one of my high school English teachers had everyone select a paragraph from the newspaper and find the word origin of every word in the sentence. That was the beginning of my enthrallment with languages. I think I would have enjoyed being a linguist.
Oooh, woulda loved that!!!

Betsy

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
And a couple years later I learned how to use a slide rule, if you want to talk about things they don't teach any more at all. :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
NogDog said:
And a couple years later I learned how to use a slide rule, if you want to talk about things they don't teach any more at all. :)
I soooo used a slide rule throughout high school & 1st 2 years of college. [more 'dating' here ... ]

My kids were all good in math, but their teachers were clueless about how to actually use a slide rule.
One of my daughters & her best friend in HS took it upon themselves to learn how to use a slide rule {PRIDE} & my daughter used the slide rule that my parents gave me when I began taking trig & calculus in HS!
Then when that daughter graduated valedictorian, they created the "Golden Slide Rule Award" and she was the first recipient.
NERDS, WE Are!:
  • 1. If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards. ― Violet Haberdasher
    7. So you're a little weird? Work it! A little different? OWN it! Better to be a nerd than one of the herd! ― Mandy Hale

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Oh Yes ! I also loved diagramming sentences (I can still do it).

Slide rule also, although I doubt if I could draw parallel lines with one today. Giggle

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We were taught to use a slide rule but never really had to use one.  I still have one, though.  :D. I think I gave my big one to my engineering granddaughter, but I still have a small one.  I can still multiply using it, but that's about it.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I remember diagramming sentences.  "Put the accents on the right syllable."  Oh no!!  I was scared hearing that from a teacher.  I could not hear the difference . . . until senior year in high school.  That year English lit teacher made that dreaded request.  And suddenly "I heard".  :)

Phonetics, anyone?  To this day I am thankful I was taught phonetics. 

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
*runs screaming from the room*

·
5,880 Posts
I learned to use a slide rule just before the first calculators appeared and so never got to be that good at it.

Judging by the earlier comments, the diagramming of sentences is something taught primarily to my generation, but I've never even heard of it. Perhaps it's something uniquely American? Having read the linked article, I'm not sure I can see the point of it - it seems like it's intention is to help you to understand the structure of a sentence, but you have to be able to understand that structure in order to properly diagram it in the first place.  :-\

The way I see it, if you want to understand language then read, read, read, read ....

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Sandpiper said:
Phonetics, anyone? To this day I am thankful I was taught phonetics.
I the late '60s, IIRC, I was proofreading with a co-worker who was a few years older and had more education than I. She was reading the article out loud. Came to a word and she was stuck. What's that word? I knew. It was just a bunch of letters to her. She had not been taught phonetics.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sandpiper said:
I the late '60s, IIRC, I was proofreading with a co-worker who was a few years older and had more education than I. She was reading the article out loud. Came to a word and she was stuck. What's that word? I knew. It was just a bunch of letters to her. She had not been taught phonetics.
I never learned phonetics (elementary school mid 60s). But I've always read a LOT. I may not always pronounce a word that I've only seen written correctly, but I know them. Of course, my father made us look up all the words we didn't know in a big ol' dictionary, so that might of helped. Wish I'd had a Kindle then instead of having to haul out that dictionary that lived upstairs. ;D

Betsy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I never learned phonetics (elementary school mid 60s). But I've always read a LOT. I may not always pronounce a word that I've only seen written correctly, but I know them. Of course, my father made us look up all the words we didn't know in a big ol' dictionary, so that might of helped. Wish I'd had a Kindle then instead of having to haul out that dictionary that lived upstairs. ;D

Betsy
I learned phonetics in the mid 60s elementary school in Alvin TX. Parents also made us look up in the dictionary (actually made us inclined to not ask what a word meant! :p)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CegAbq said:
Parents also made us look up in the dictionary (actually made us inclined to not ask what a word meant! :p)
Indeed. ;D

Betsy

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:

Betsy
Surely I'm not the only one who read the dictionary just for fun?? :D

As far a diagramming sentences - pick me, pick me! Dear Mrs. Finney, my 4th grade teacher, started me on diagramming for extra credit because I was always done with assignments before the rest of the class. I loved it! It was like a puzzle or the paper equivalent (at the time) of what would be a video game now.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crebel said:
Surely I'm not the only one who read the dictionary just for fun?? :D

As far a diagramming sentences - pick me, pick me! Dear Mrs. Finney, my 4th grade teacher, started me on diagramming for extra credit because I was always done with assignments before the rest of the class. I loved it! It was like a puzzle or the paper equivalent (at the time) of what would be a video game now.
I do now. But when my father was making me do it...youthful rebellion!

And yes, exactly, diagramming was a fun puzzle!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've asked around and don't know anyone of any age who knows what this is about. I guess it never hit Britain.
Can someone please explain the point of it? Not stirring, genuinely interested.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
NapCat said:
A bit misleading saying the Apollo missions were all calculated with a slide rule, though I do agree about the work ethic message.

Here is Margaret Hamilton with the computer code she wrote for the missions:

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
archaeoroutes said:
I've asked around and don't know anyone of any age who knows what this is about. I guess it never hit Britain.
Can someone please explain the point of it? Not stirring, genuinely interested.
If you click on the link Betsy provided in the first post it explains and shows it very well. Quoting a portion of the article, "It was a purely American phenomenon," Burns Florey says. "It was invented in Brooklyn, it swept across this country like crazy and became really popular for 50 or 60 years and then began to die away."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts