Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, a couple of the books I bought and several more that I've sampled have some really ridiculous formatting problems.

Should I e-mail Amazon or the publisher?

I tried e-mailing one publisher about a badly formatted book (me and Leslie discussed it a few weeks back), but that basically went nowhere.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
CS said:
Unfortunately, a couple of the books I bought and several more that I've sampled have some really ridiculous formatting problems.

Should I e-mail Amazon or the publisher?

I tried e-mailing one publisher about a badly formatted book (me and Leslie discussed it a few weeks back), but that basically went nowhere.
Your most expeditious option is to contact Kindle customer service. They will refund the purchase price and take the book off your media library. It also seems that they will go through some {unknown} process to get the book taken down from the Amazon catalog to be reformatted and eventually offered in a corrected, revised version. This is the process (as much as I can tell) for a book from a "commercial" (ie, big) publisher.

If you contact CS about a self-published book with problems, I am not sure what would happen (and I would be intrigued to find out). Would Amazon contact the author/publisher? Self-published/indie authors who actually care about their books seem to take them down and redeploy them all the time, correcting even the tiniest typos. On the other hand, an indie author like the infamous Stefan f.d. bryan either doesn't know his book is full of mistakes, doesn't give a hoot (I wanted a stronger word there) or doesn't have a clue about how to fix them, even if he does give a care. I suspect that the book you and I chatted about might fall into this latter category.

L

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again, Leslie. I'm not really looking for a refund though, as I already read a couple of the books in question. I just want them fixed.

Is [email protected] the best address to use, or should I use Amazon's contact form page, or is there another addy entirely for this sort of situation?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
In my experience, the best thing to do is to go to Kindle support and use the "call back" option. They call you back within seconds and I have always been connected to a Kindle support person who can answer questions and take action. Because of the call back process, they have your contact info so you don't have to answer a dozen repetitive questions (just 2).

L

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up e-mailing them through the kindle-feedback address instead of calling them because I had several books I needed to report (two purchases and two samples) and I figured that would be much easier to explain over e-mail. My first e-mail was last night, and they got back to me this morning (amazing) asking for location numbers, etc. I provided that info as best as I could and they replied within hours (fantastic customer service).

Here's what they said:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for sending us these four books with a description for each. I've file a separate investigation request for each title. I can't say how our Kindle content team will handle each request, but we will do our best to get them fixed if we determine that the quality is not acceptable.

In some cases, we may pull the book from sales until a fix is sent to us.

It is very important for us to hear about your experience using Kindle and shopping in the Kindle store. Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Hopefully the books I reported will indeed be fixed. I'm very impressed by the speed of Amazon's customer service and the fact that they wrote me a personal response instead of replying with an obvious form letter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just reported a book to Amazon that was full of errors and they gave me a full refund. Great customer service.

·
Registered
509 Posts
As an aside, Stefan f. d. Bryan is hard at work on his magnum opus "Plaid Kilt, Crazed Camelion: A Psycho-Entomological Memoir" soon to be published under the Kilgore Trout Beaver marque.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teninx said:
As an aside, Stefan f. d. Bryan is hard at work on his magnum opus "Plaid Kilt, Crazed Camelion: A Psycho-Entomological Memoir" soon to be published under the Kilgore Trout Beaver marque.
Thanks for this update. Can't wait to read it! I heard that he is giving punctuation advice to that other guy...Jaden? Jason? Hm, can't remember, deleted the sample off my kindle.

L

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I usually contact Kindle Customer Support via email, and include a list of errors that I've saved on the Kindle by highlighting them, noting my corrections instead of the "Highlight" part of the line.

I also contact the publisher if it is really bad.  Tor is not very good about proofing, sometimes.  I just read one of their free ones, and the first part of the book wasn't too bad, then it had a whole bunch of words run together, and words with hyphens in the middle, then it got a little better toward the end.  Maybe the proofreader had the book on auto-scroll, and fell asleep partway through!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I contacted customer support on one almost two weeks ago as it has the wrong Cover page (wrong author and title) even though on the Kindle store it shows the right one. They said they put in an investigation to get it taken care of and refunded my money. The book is still on the site, I downloaded the sample yesterday to try it and it is still wrong. Sucks cause I really wanted the book but want the whole thing to be correct. Guess I'll be waiting awhile.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Leslie said:
Thanks for this update. Can't wait to read it! I heard that he is giving punctuation advice to that other guy...Jaden? Jason? Hm, can't remember, deleted the sample off my kindle.

L
Even better -- I understand he's running a writer's workshop in an undisclosed location soon (somewhere with brothels, of course, for research purposes). It's called "Black Pen, Yellow Legal Pad"

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been looking for comments on this subject, not as a reader, but as an author. On the first post I made to this board, I asked about formatting problems because I can see quite a potential headache for all of us. My two most recent books were added to Kindle a few days ago, but no information from the paper versions has yet to appear on the respective Kindle pages. The book description is all run together in one paragraph for each book, and the end of the description has been truncated on one. I found the cause of the clipped description and resubmitted it, but the old version is still on the page. I can see that some book descriptions are properly divided into paragraphs, so there must be a way to do it, yet there is nothing about this in the uploading instructions.

When I uploaded the books themselves, I could see basically that the formatting was acceptable, but somewhat imperfect. The instructions explained how to make corrections to the book's formatted text, but I have yet to be able to create a version that I can manually correct. Again, there must be a way, but I have yet to find it. Since my earlier books contain even more elaborate formatting, I am holding off the submission of these until I learn how to better control the uploads. My first book even contains photos and graphics, so I am still working on these issues.

As the editor of PODBRAM, a review blog open to all sorts of books, I have been on my soapbox for years nagging authors to care more about the editing and proofreading of their books. How embarrassing it would be if my own books were shabbily formatted in any format! Yes, I know from extensive personal experience that a lot of new POD and otherwise self-published authors don't seem to give a rat's derriere about proofreading. On the other hand, there are numerous high-quality, entertaining self-published books out there from unknown authors.

Since I don't own a Kindle, and at least for the time being, I'm buried in paper books to read for review, I have even considered making an offer to my earliest Kindle readers. What if I say the first person who actually reads through one of my books on a Kindle, and e-mails me a report as to how the formatting looks, I'll send that person a free copy of one of my paperbacks, either the same book or a different one?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Kilgore Trout said:
Since I don't own a Kindle, and at least for the time being, I'm buried in paper books to read for review, I have even considered making an offer to my earliest Kindle readers. What if I say the first person who actually reads through one of my books on a Kindle, and e-mails me a report as to how the formatting looks, I'll send that person a free copy of one of my paperbacks, either the same book or a different one?
Sorry, I can't help much with your technical questions, but re: a free paperback, as a Kindler, I'd much rather have the e-book for free :) There was one author who was offering an amazon GC to cover the cost of his book, and I got a free PDF version (which I converted to put on my Kindle) from another, in return for the promise to write a review on amazon when I had finished the book. Jeff (member here) has given a "secret" link (via PM) for members of this board to download his books in Kindle-compatible format for free. Could you feasibly do something like that? I'm sure lots of people here would be glad to send you any comments they had, especially if the book is free, but even if it's not :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts