Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I'd love to go "halvsies", Jan.  Between the loss we took on the vineyard in Tuscany, and the way our string of racehorses is underperforming, I just haven't got the stomach for a whole ad this year.  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,459 Posts
I could go five bucks.  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,835 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
It's a bad investment. Something tells me that most people watching the Superbowl aren't going to be the best target market for genre fiction.
Obviously the initial post was a joke. And most people watch the Super Bowl's commercials for sheer entertainment value rather than true marketing (although the best commercials work both ways), but why would you assume that people who watch the Super Bowl don't read? I would venture to guess that most of America watches the Super Bowl, even if they're not football fans. And even if they are football fans, are you really implying that football fans don't read?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
It's a bad investment. Something tells me that most people watching the Superbowl aren't going to be the best target market for genre fiction. I doubt even a book about football would sell well with such an ad.
That's very pessimistic. I think this idea is a real goer. I'm good for donating a few dollars to the cause.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
Hey, if we got 40,000 people to chip in 100.00...that actually may be doable.  Hahah.

So, all things considered, what is our commerical going to be?  A split second picture of 40,000 covers?  :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
Obviously the initial post was a joke. And most people watch the Super Bowl's commercials for sheer entertainment value rather than true marketing (although the best commercials work both ways), but why would you assume that people who watch the Super Bowl don't read? I would venture to guess that most of America watches the Super Bowl, even if they're not football fans. And even if they are football fans, are you really implying that football fans don't read?
I know the op was a joke.

Sure, lots of people watching the Superbowl read. I'm just saying that, after the Superbowl, the last thing I can see anyone doing is hopping on the Kindle store and getting that book they saw during half time. Or even during the commercial. "Hold my beer! I gotta buy that book!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
All you would really need is the video of Hugh Howey dancing to Gangnam Style or the one of him dancing to Dance Central. You could play that with a montage of book covers from all the indie authors who chip in. Then all you need is a clever tag line and done! Instant Superbowl commercial sensation! It's bound to go viral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,459 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
I know the op was a joke.

Sure, lots of people watching the Superbowl read. I'm just saying that, after the Superbowl, the last thing I can see anyone doing is hopping on the Kindle store and getting that book they saw during half time. Or even during the commercial. "Hold my beer! I gotta buy that book!"
Perhaps just a TAD of overanalyzing a joke? :D :D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,835 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
I know the op was a joke.

Sure, lots of people watching the Superbowl read. I'm just saying that, after the Superbowl, the last thing I can see anyone doing is hopping on the Kindle store and getting that book they saw during half time. Or even during the commercial. "Hold my beer! I gotta buy that book!"
Well, yeah. I agree with you there. But it was a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
Sure, lots of people watching the Superbowl read. I'm just saying that, after the Superbowl, the last thing I can see anyone doing is hopping on the Kindle store and getting that book they saw during half time. Or even during the commercial. "Hold my beer! I gotta buy that book!"
Just to play along...I wonder if the effectiveness would change if you had a significant sports celebrity endorsement behind it, though (for example, Joe Montana, or whoever). The commercial would also have to be very out-of-the-box and memorable...something that might even be covered on newscasts before and after the big event (this happens every year with memorable ads).

Also, a lot of Super Bowl ads seem to run after the main event for weeks at a time (Pepsi does this a lot). Of course the ad budget for that type of media planning/campaign is substantial...but it would reinforce the initial message. It might just be better to put the ad out on YouTube and point to it.

Then again, I don't know how much more Lipton tea, Isotoner gloves, Coca-Cola, Wrangler jeans, or pain medicine has sold due to football celebrity endorsements...so who knows.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top