Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a last-minute spot for only $4 million! That's a little steep for me alone, but if somebody else wants to go in, it'd only be $2 million apiece.

Who's with me?

Hugh?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd love to go "halvsies", Jan.  Between the loss we took on the vineyard in Tuscany, and the way our string of racehorses is underperforming, I just haven't got the stomach for a whole ad this year.  ;)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I could go five bucks.  ;)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
It's a bad investment. Something tells me that most people watching the Superbowl aren't going to be the best target market for genre fiction.
Obviously the initial post was a joke. And most people watch the Super Bowl's commercials for sheer entertainment value rather than true marketing (although the best commercials work both ways), but why would you assume that people who watch the Super Bowl don't read? I would venture to guess that most of America watches the Super Bowl, even if they're not football fans. And even if they are football fans, are you really implying that football fans don't read?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...problem. Turns out they won't take an IOU. I was going to pay out of next month's book sales.

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
What if we got 4 million indie authors together to each chip in a buck. We could do Paypal. Would you mind setting that up, Jan?
It'd have to be a microtranaction account otherwise fees would eat up a big chunk of it. :p

·
Registered
427 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
It's a bad investment. Something tells me that most people watching the Superbowl aren't going to be the best target market for genre fiction. I doubt even a book about football would sell well with such an ad.
That's very pessimistic. I think this idea is a real goer. I'm good for donating a few dollars to the cause.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey, if we got 40,000 people to chip in 100.00...that actually may be doable.  Hahah.

So, all things considered, what is our commerical going to be?  A split second picture of 40,000 covers?  :D

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
How about an Indie writers version of Apple’s Big Brother ad? You know, the one where the runner throws a hammer at the screen showing Big Brother….

And Big Brother would be … mwahahaha

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
Obviously the initial post was a joke. And most people watch the Super Bowl's commercials for sheer entertainment value rather than true marketing (although the best commercials work both ways), but why would you assume that people who watch the Super Bowl don't read? I would venture to guess that most of America watches the Super Bowl, even if they're not football fans. And even if they are football fans, are you really implying that football fans don't read?
I know the op was a joke.

Sure, lots of people watching the Superbowl read. I'm just saying that, after the Superbowl, the last thing I can see anyone doing is hopping on the Kindle store and getting that book they saw during half time. Or even during the commercial. "Hold my beer! I gotta buy that book!"

·
Registered
854 Posts
All you would really need is the video of Hugh Howey dancing to Gangnam Style or the one of him dancing to Dance Central. You could play that with a montage of book covers from all the indie authors who chip in. Then all you need is a clever tag line and done! Instant Superbowl commercial sensation! It's bound to go viral.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
BrianKittrell said:

Sure, lots of people watching the Superbowl read. I'm just saying that, after the Superbowl, the last thing I can see anyone doing is hopping on the Kindle store and getting that book they saw during half time. Or even during the commercial. "Hold my beer! I gotta buy that book!"
Perhaps just a TAD of overanalyzing a joke? :D :D ;)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
BrianKittrell said:

Well, yeah. I agree with you there. But it was a joke.

·
Registered
671 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
Just to play along...I wonder if the effectiveness would change if you had a significant sports celebrity endorsement behind it, though (for example, Joe Montana, or whoever). The commercial would also have to be very out-of-the-box and memorable...something that might even be covered on newscasts before and after the big event (this happens every year with memorable ads).

Also, a lot of Super Bowl ads seem to run after the main event for weeks at a time (Pepsi does this a lot). Of course the ad budget for that type of media planning/campaign is substantial...but it would reinforce the initial message. It might just be better to put the ad out on YouTube and point to it.

Then again, I don't know how much more Lipton tea, Isotoner gloves, Coca-Cola, Wrangler jeans, or pain medicine has sold due to football celebrity endorsements...so who knows.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts