Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just sent my first email to an author requesting his books on the Kindle and it made me curious who else has done this and who it was!  I finally broke down and emailed Alan Dean Foster requesting his Spellsinger series this morning.  It was one of the first "adult" novels I read as a child and I really think he put the spark into me to continue reading and become the book lover I am today.  The books are mostly out of print and I do still have several of the originals I read so many years ago... but I want them on my Kindle!  So anyway... anyone else have a fun story to tell about the first author who you liked enough to actually email directly for a Kindle version?

Edit: Realized this might be better in the book section.  Sorry!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I emailed Teresa Medeiros requesting Some Like it Wild. It was her newest book and available in paperback, but not the Kindle edition. I'd say within a week or two it was made available in the Kindle edition and I bought it instantly. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I emailed Peter Lefcourt asking for the The Dreyfus Affair on Kindle. He wrote back a nice note. It's out of print right now. He's hoping it will be made into a movie someday (it would be a great movie) and go back into print and then be published on the Kindle. So far, none of that has happened.

I also wrote Elliot Tiber about Taking Woodstock, which has come out in a Kindle version.

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The first author I sent an email to was J. Michael Straczynski, back in 1994.  ;D

The first author I sent an email to about books being on Kindle was Bill Crider, as I recall.

Mike

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Christopher Stasheff. I told him that our whole family loves his books (we do) and would like to have more than 4 of them available for our Kindles. his reply took a month, but I did get a reply so I was happy:

Sorry to be so late answering, Ms. Tackitt – and thanks for letting me know that even four of my e-books are available on Amazon; I didn’t know ANY of them were.  I’ll ask my agent if any more are in the works.

I teach media, so I’m curious about how the Kindle is working.  Are you happy with it?  Think it has a future?

Thanks,
Christopher Stasheff

--
Boy did he ever open the floodgates asking me about the Kindle.  :D 

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've been emailed by authors' whose books I've reviewed, and then responded, but I've never emailed an author first. Don't know why, just seems stalkerish. I've never emailed, written, or approached anyone "famous" though. Even ones I've been in physical presence with.  Just a weird quirk of mine I guess.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ya'all can email me anytime!    :)  But I have to get cracking and write more books so that you'll have something to request  ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have e mailed and asked questions of three authors mostly about their books going to kindle versions  Stephen Coonts, Harold Coyle and Bernard Cornwell.  only heard back from Cornewll via his web site.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The first author I emailed was Todd Wilbur, author of the Top Secret Recipe series, as I was looking for a clone of a recipe that I loved. (What can I say? I love to cook.)
Aside from that, the "other" first author I emailed was Nelson DeMille after I read Plum Island.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
jmiked said:
The first author I sent an email to was J. Michael Straczynski, back in 1994. ;D

The first author I sent an email to about books being on Kindle was Bill Crider, as I recall.

Mike
Ahhh JMS. I just read his posts online. He was so much fun to read. Loved Babylon5, I have my signed Sinclair picture and the autographed CCG's hanging up in my office.

On Topic: I emailed the Tolkein Estate and Publisher. I was thrilled to see the books on Kindle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stephen Booth and Jonathan Kellerman. Both wrote me back and seem to not have the rights to the eformats of their books.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've emailed a few authors, and so have my friends. I think it's a good way to let them (and their publishers) know that there is interest in electronic versions of their books.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alan Dean Foster was really nice and emailed me back like four hours later!  Apparently the rights for the Spellsinger series were bought by a man named Byron Preiss who recently died in an auto accident and his company is tied up in litigation.  This would be why the series is out of print in paper as well.  So... anyone who even knows the Spellsinger series, that's what's going on with it.  I thought it was really nice of him to reply so quickly and personally, though.  I'm impressed by my first reaching out to an author.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just emailed Steve Alten a few days ago about the possibility of his first two MEG books, MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror and The Trench, being made available on the Kindle (the third and fourth books are already in Kindle format), and his response was really disappointing. I won't share the entire email, but it began like this...

Je3ss

I doubt the first two boosk will be converted. Here's a quick update on my work:
...and the next seven paragraphs were about the other books he's working on, the ongoing quest to get MEG out of developmental hell and onto the silver screen, his website ("Have you been to my website?" Well, yeah, Steve, that's where I got your email address...), contests to become a character in his upcoming novels, his MySpace, his Twitter account... and not one more word about MEG and The Trench on the Kindle.

It definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't expect a nice, personal letter like mine in response, since I know Alten's busy, but I also didn't expect a sales pitch and a plea to "let other people know about my work"; just because I wrote him an email, that doesn't mean I'm a walking advertisement for the MEG series. :-\

Maybe I should've written to Alan Dean Foster, instead. ;D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I was in the middle of reading Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead, and I emailed him and told him I never wanted the book to end.  It's on Kindle now, so does that count?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jesspark said:
Maybe I should've written to Alan Dean Foster, instead. ;D
You should! He even used a nickname instead of my surname in the reply. He -did- suggest me trying out his latest short story collection, but only because it had a Spellsinger short story in it that I didn't even realize existed. So yeah, he didn't make any sales pitches or anything and really seemed to appreciate that I read and enjoyed his work. I need to write Terry Pratchett next, but I'm almost afraid of getting a response that'd dishearten me like the one you got from Steve Alten. I really doubt he would respond like that, but you never know sometimes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think you'd be safe with Terry Pratchett.  :)  I've never read his work, but I've only heard good things about him! He doesn't seem like he would write back to a fan with a canned response newsletter sales pitch. Steve Alten... well, I've read a couple of his books and I wanted to start the MEG series over again on my Kindle (hence the email), but I didn't expect a personal response from him; he doesn't come off as that kind of author. Then again, neither did I expect what I got! It was pretty over-the-top.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts