Kindle Forum banner

Who's a night owl??

2K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Susan in VA 
#1 ·
I don't know about you all, but the dead of night is my favorite time. Who's all up at this hour?

#3 ·
I usually get off work at 12 Central time so am on the board for a couple of hours then.

#6 ·
I still prefer morning to night.  I retired nine years ago (almost to the day).  I got into the habit of falling asleep (still at a reasonable hour) to WGN talk radio in Chicago.  Just falling asleep to the voices.  But then I started listening.  I enjoyed it.  So I'd still be awake sometimes as late as 3 - 4 in the morning.  (Or is that as early as . . . ?)  Because of that I DID feel the two earthquakes here.  Both were at app. 4:00 a.m.

I want to break the habit of being awake that late.  I have to.  I'm getting a puppy.  WE have to be on a much more normal schedule.

#7 ·
Night owl definitely. My creative juices flow best after dark, probably beneficial for a horror writer really :) I have difficulty shutting down and going to sleep in the early hours as that's when I start to get the ideas that stick and turn into stories.

#8 ·
Sandpiper said:
I still prefer morning to night. I retired nine years ago (almost to the day). I got into the habit of falling asleep (still at a reasonable hour) to WGN talk radio in Chicago. Just falling asleep to the voices. But then I started listening. I enjoyed it. So I'd still be awake sometimes as late as 3 - 4 in the morning. (Or is that as early as . . . ?) Because of that I DID feel the two earthquakes here. Both were at app. 4:00 a.m.

I want to break the habit of being awake that late. I have to. I'm getting a puppy. WE have to be on a much more normal schedule.
There should be no problem getting into a more normal schedule with a puppy around. :) My hubby does contract work and is often gone for weeks at a time, and I got into the habit of falling asleep to Coast to Coast AM, which starts at midnight my time. I guess the background noise was comforting? It's good stuff to sleep to except for the loud music they play during their breaks - I'm sure it's meant to wake up people like me who sleep through the show. :) And the subject matter - it's proof your subconscious is awake during sleep because I'll wake up briefly when they're doing things like playing tapes of supposed ghostly voices or an interview with someone who's made a deal with the devil. I know I could play soothing music but.... :)

I used to joke with another night owl that we'd meet in the aisles of ebay.

#12 ·
I used to be.  Back in college, man, I could stay up all night and stuff, but not anymore.  Not since entering the working world.  I have now been having to get up at 6 am for so long to get to work, I am turning into that most-hated thing...a morning person.  I figure if I ever did have a total career just as a writer...my nite owl tendencies might return.

#14 ·
I am the very definition of night owl, I wake up around 1:30 P.M, tattoo from 4 pm till 2 am usually, then go home and write from 3 am to 7am then sleep, all the while managing to hang out with my fiance and daughter in between and eat.  All my friends refer to me as a vampire.

#17 ·
Atmcbom said:
I am the very definition of night owl, I wake up around 1:30 P.M, tattoo from 4 pm till 2 am usually, then go home and write from 3 am to 7am then sleep, all the while managing to hang out with my fiance and daughter in between and eat. All my friends refer to me as a vampire.
Wow! That is very impressive, I don't know how you do it lol I was up until 3 this morning, but that was given to the fact that my boyfriend surprised me by taking me to the opening midnight showing of the new x-men! (love it! :) )

#19 ·
When I was working I said I would not be one of those retired folks that gets up at 5 or 6 am when I no longer had to.  And I don't!!  But lately I have been up till 4 or 5 and still have to get up between 7 & 8am.  I have got to start going to sleep a little earlier...this is out of control.  The problem is there is always something else to see, do, read, watch, listen to, go to,learn about...there are not enough hours in the day.  I enjoy life too much.  I was a nurse in a medical office and some of the older patients would say.."don't retire, it is boring, just waiting to die".  Sinced retiring I have never been busier.  I love being able to do what I want to all day and responsibilities still  get in the way. LOL.  I never catch up with all I want to do. 

#20 ·
After I retired, my waking/sleeping cycle drifted until I was getting to bed about 4AM and the rising at 11AM or noon. I was happy with this until I started geocaching, when I found it was nice to get out early before the Texas heat (100+ F) set in. So now I'm back to rising at about 8AM.

But I've never been much of a morning person.

Mike

#22 ·
I like to stay up late.  On weekdays (where I have to work) I'll be up until between 11 or 12 typically.  I'd get away with longer if I didn't have to be up at 7 am.  On weekends, when my sister stays with me, I'll be up until between 1 or 2 in the morning unless I'm super tired. 

#23 ·
I'm just the opposite! I think the morning is the best part of the day and I'm always up really early (not necessarily dressed and ready to go early, especially on weekends, but up). When I was a kid it drove my friends nuts because I would always nod off early at sleepovers!  :D 

#24 ·
Night owl for me. I can't write in the morning for one thing. I never have been able to so that requires being up late and if I'm not writing, I prefer reading at night. I don't know why; it just seems to throw the right brain switches for imagination.

#25 ·
When I was a kid, my mom worked second shift. Sometimes she'd bring home pizza on the weekends, so I'd stay up and wait for her. It seemed like a special time. Calm, quiet, cooler in the summer, crickets chirping. I never quite dropped the habit.

I'd be more of a night owl if I could get the rest of the world to operate on my schedule. I never make morning appts if I can help it.

#26 ·
Moi. Always been a night owl, born at midnight, I've never slept much. I don't even lie in particularly late, but I like the dead of night, because there's no traffic or other intrusive noises. I can relax, think, write, work etc. Love it. I love the sunshine, too, but we don't get that here. Ever. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.