Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most reading are familiar with NaNoWriMo that runs every November and the goal is to write 50,000 words in a month. For those who are writing throughout the year (I assume most reading do), there are similar challenges on different sites throughout the year. If you want to get started on a challenge next month then might want to get registered today as this starts at midnight tonight.

Here are the links for those interested:

JulNoWriMo - setup as integrated forum
CampNaNoWriMo - you can use your NaNoWriMo login for this one

I'm not sure if it's allowed to use the same project for both, but I'm going to be working on the second book in a psychological thriller / horror series that will debut later this year.

For the math types in the audience, 50,000 words in the month works out to be approximately 1,613 words per day. You get an extra day in this one since there are 31 days in July and only 30 in November. Plus there is no Thanksgiving toward the home stretch to work around.

Good luck to all who register :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this. I think August is a good month for me to do a NaNo, and I've signed up for it.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I haven't tried logging in to the Camp NaNo one yet but there isn't much info up front.  Is it like NaNoWriMo only in August?  Or does it run any month you choose?  I'd heard of it in passing but assumed it was a residential thing to do with their youth literacy program!

Edited to add:  Ah, just logged in.  So, it's two separate months, July and August, so you can do two separate novels.  July starts tomorrow so that doesn't leave much time for plotting.  Still, I did Script Frenzy by improvising the whole thing as I went along, starting with absolutely no idea what I'd be writing about and just going with the flow.  Never let it be said that I ever let a complete lack of preparation stop me... ;)

I'm in, for both months.  I just need to break it to my poor husband that he's on additional baby watching duties for the next two months!  :p

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zelah Meyer said:
I haven't tried logging in to the Camp NaNo one yet but there isn't much info up front. Is it like NaNoWriMo only in August? Or does it run any month you choose? I'd heard of it in passing but assumed it was a residential thing to do with their youth literacy program!
Yes, it's just like NaNoWriMo. But no, it only runs in July & August, see:

Camp NaNoWriMo will take place in July and August of 2011. July's run of Camp will have most of the site components in place, but August will have all the bells and whistles ready for participants to play with.
Camp NaNoWriMo is for ages 13+ so if you have teen children writers, this might be something productive to turn them onto this summer.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I did NaNoWriMo last November, but I don't think I'll do these.

I've since then discovered ROW80, which is signing up folks for Round 3 now through July 4 (and beyond) and I've found that to be a much more helpful tool for me. Using ROW80, I got my first novel published and using it I'm closing in on finishing my next book already.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only problem with July...is that that's when I'm going to be promoting my book.

I dunno. I'll just wait till November, since my word goal for my next book is 100k instead of my normal 50. Hope to join you guys on the ride then, though.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm planning to do CampNaNoWriMo; I already had a book I was planning to write, this month.

…Okay, I'm planning to finish a novel. Two of them, actually. And a novelette.

But all that combined will be at least 60k words. Probably closer to 75k.

And I just released a novel today.

Yep, I'm crazy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've signed up for Camp N. in July (hope I don't need August).  If anyone wants to friend me, just PM me and I'll give you my profile. 

I'm also going to be doing ROW80 again, because (1) I love being able to encourage people and be encouraged myself and (2) you can have editing as a goal, and since I hope to be done with the sequel to Compis by the end of July, it will be good to use the rest of my time editing.

Good luck to all!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
CraigInTwinCities said:
I've since then discovered ROW80, which is signing up folks for Round 3 now through July 4 (and beyond) and I've found that to be a much more helpful tool for me. Using ROW80, I got my first novel published and using it I'm closing in on finishing my next book already.
Craig, thanks for the reminder. I wasn't able to do ROW80, round 2, but I wanted to catch round 3. I just signed up.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Thank you for introducing me to the idea of ROW80.  That sounds like a good idea for when I eventually sit down and start actually editing the stuff I've already written!  :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hours away from the July Camp Nanowrimo (for me, anyway - some folks have already started elsewhere in the world!). Figure I'll do the July and August runs. Two more novels written...why not, right? ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ooh, I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this. I am joining Camp NaNoWriMo and I've also signed up for the next rownd of ROW80. It's be great to get my next two books written. Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
NRWick said:
Ooh, I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this. I am joining Camp NaNoWriMo and I've also signed up for the next rownd of ROW80. It's be great to get my next two books written. Good luck to everyone!
Thanks all of you for turning me on to ROW80! I hope they do a fourth round in the fall. I would like something external for then, and they sound just right. NaNo never fits -- either their goals or their timing.

Camille

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh my goodness, so I just joined! Yay, but what is so "Oh my goodness" is the top thop ranking writers, who are already at 25-30k words, are all TEENAGERS! That's pretty incredible! Really neat to see such passion :). But, not fair, they are off from school and drinking way too much caffeine probably, and sleeping in all day! Wait, technically I could do that tonight/tomorrow and the next tonight/tomorrow and let my competitiveness kick in lol.  :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts