Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes me very suspicious. I was looking at Vernor Vinge's offerings in the Kindle Books section on Amazon, and I found 3 different ebook versions of
A Fire upon the Deep, one of my favorites that I was thinking about rereading since it's been a long while. I was considering suggesting it to my 12 yo, but wanted to review it again.
Anyone have any idea why there would be 3 apparently different versions kicking around? These are not in the public domain.

Two at $7.99, only one with a cover image:

A Fire Upon The Deep

And one at $5.59
A Fire Upon the Deep

Am I right to suspect that one or two of these are bootleg versions? I've emailed Amazon about this.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I don't know if you can assume that. One of our author members has a book, In Her Name, with two listings on Amazon, one that says it's not available yet, and another that you can purchase for your Kindle. And it's a legitimate book (AND a very good one, too!) Maybe one of our author members can let us know how that happens...

Betsy

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
One is a special edition (whatever that is). All three would appear to be from reputable publishers (Gollancz, St. Martins, and Tor).

Interesting situation. Tor was the original publisher of the hardcover, and I believe they are a subsidiary of St. Martins (?). Gollancz published a paperback edition.

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't out right assume that there is something fishy going on, but I know that books have been pirated on Amazon before:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,2804.0.html

The HP books were a good example, perhaps even obvious, if you know that J. K. Rowling has not yet given permission. Maybe not everyone does, or they hope that she changes her mind without a press release.

When, it's less obvious, what are the signs of pirated copies?

I think having 3 different ebook copies (links) for the same book is very suspicious. I haven't yet come across this unless the book is in the public domain. If I hear back from Amazon, or see that any of these copies have disappeared I will report back. As a consumer, I want to know for sure that the copyrighted author or publisher has given permission to sell the ebook copy I purchase.

This book is a good target. It won the Hugo a long while ago, in 1993. Someone could easily sneak it in and expect to get hits.

Sorry, I'm just suspicious by nature.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike,

I posted before I had a chance to see your post.  I will still be interested to hear back from Amazon.  It would seem pretty complicated who gets digital vs. print rights.  There do seem to be lots of different versions of print books, different paperback formats etc., and even if a book has had more than one printing, or a reprinting, there can be printings from different companies, but I would have expected only one company would hold the digital rights in this nascent industry. 

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Esther said:
It won the Hugo a long while ago, in 1993.
1993 is a long while ago? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have books printed in 1905!! 1993 is yesterday, heh.

I think the problem with Fire Upon the Deep is more likely to be a misunderstanding of who exactly has the electronic rights.

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jmiked said:
1993 is a long while ago? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Well 1993 was in the last millennium. :D
I also have an old book edition circa 1905 (been kindlized) and one geography book from late 1800's, you know, before google earth.

jmiked said:
I think the problem with Fire Upon the Deep is more likely to be a misunderstanding of who exactly has the electronic rights.
You may be right there. I did look up the publishers on the product info section, after your post. Obviously Tor is legitimate, but the publishing date was the paperback version (1992) and I couldn't find the ebook on their webpages, though maybe I didn't search the right place. Gollancz seems to list an older pre-digital date. St. Martin's press, has 2003, which maybe is digital. Wikipedia claims that it was published on a CD-ROM with other Hugo nominees in 1993 along with extra comments from VV. Maybe that is where the special edition comes from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts