Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see frequent posts from folks unhappy about the price of new releases. Most posts imply they must have the latest release as soon as it's available. Why the frantic rush to get the new release? There are scores and scores of books on my suspect list. I rarely pay more than used bookstore paperback price for anything because that's where they'll all wind up eventually. New paperback pricing is ok once in a while for special circumstances but for the most part there's no reason to pay that much when there's plenty to read otherwise. I'm just curious why folks get so frantic over new releases with the attendant upset over pricing rather than enjoying some of the many thousands of other good reads available elsewhere.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I guess I am not one of the people you are talking about as I don't get frantic and I have never complained about the price. Here is one reason I can think of to buy a new release. If I have been reading a series, usually over several years, and have been waiting for months for the next book, I like to (not must) have it as soon as it is available.

Not saying that is a reason for everyone, but it is one for me. If the book is just a new release by a favorite author, I have waited for the price to come down.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with WolfePrincess.  If I'm reading a series, and it's been a while since the last book (and it usually has), I would like to start reading the next one as soon as possible.  For me, it's like catching up with old friends.

I don't complain about the prices, but I will usually pay whatever the new book costs just so I can start reading it now.  I am not usually patient when it comes to new books.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Probably for the same reason that some people must go see a new movie the weekend it comes out rather than waiting to rent it.

I think that we all have different things we want as soon as possible. For some it's the newest book. For some its only certain new books. I feel like I need (though really it's a want) to have the newest Ted Dekker book as soon as it is released, but I really don't do this with any other book or author.

To each his/her own. :)

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
I have a list of authors that I read regularly.  Most of them have a new book come out in hardback once a year.  For the past 10 years or so, I would run out to a bookstore at lunchtime or stop on the way home so I could start reading the new book RIGHT AWAY (and stay up until I finish it).
With the Kindle, it's even easier - provided the K version is available at the same time as the newly released hardback.  Right now, I am trying to hold on since one of my authors has a new book that is not on the Kindle yet and I am trying very hard not to go purchase the DTB version.
For new releases, as long as the Kindle price is less than what I would pay for the hardback, I'll gladly spend the money for the instant gratification.
I guess it's a personal preference.
(Yes, I did the Harry Potter midnight release parties for the later books :D)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a very short list of authors whose books are a "must-buy" immediately on release. For any of their new releases, I would routinely pay $25 or more in my pre-kindle days, and then be stuck with the frustration and muscle soreness of hauling around a hefty hardback tome. Since I re-read my favorite books over and over again, and I am too cheap to re-buy them in paperback later on, the annoyance of the giant hardback would be revisited upon me for years to come. Why wouldn't I be thrilled to pay $15 for the eternally light and convenient kindle copy, even if it is more expensive than most Kindle Books?

And for most of us here, lets not pretend that reading is something we have an option about. How much would a heroin addict pay for his next fix???

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Andra said:
(Yes, I did the Harry Potter midnight release parties for the later books :D)
Yes, I would have too, but my Mommy doesn't let me stay up that late. ;D I have actually ordered the book from Amazon, and then couldn't wait for delivery. As soon as I get up in the morning, I'll run to Wal-Mart and buy the book.

I always get Diana Gabaldon in hardback as soon as it comes out, but since she only writes one of these Dead Tree Bricks every four years, I don't consider that to be extravagant.

Other than that, if there's a book that I want to read, I'll get it from the library (the Miss Julia series e.g.) and then wait for the paperback to come out a year later before I buy it. Now, I'll only have to wait for the Kindle version price to drop.

The newest Stephanie Plum is $15.46. The price will probably drop when the next one is published in June and I'll get it then. If I catch up with the series before the price drop, I'll get it from the library.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I always get the newest King or Gaiman book the day it comes out in HD DTB AND I'll get the kindle version also. But other then him I get the kindle version of a book I want the day it comes out no matter what price rarely and for only my fave authors (Harrison, Harris, Briggs,).

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm not any of those people either. I buy brand new books almost every Tuesday and don't complain about the prices. There are around 20 authors that I buy Everything they write as soon as possible. I would rather read new books from those authors than almost anything written to date. If you have any recommendations of books I might have missed, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
mwvickers said:
Probably for the same reason that some people must go see a new movie the weekend it comes out rather than waiting to rent it.
Geez, I hate it when my friends wanna go watch a movie on an opening night! What's the point for that? If you don't show up an hour early, you'll get seats that nobody wants to sit at plus so many bloody people. I try to avoid opening nights and it's been months and months since I've been to a movie. I used to go once a week, but it gets expensive after a while. :-\

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
We do it just to give you yet another reason for you to be insultingly condescending to us. It's actually a Kindleboard-wide secret agreement to let you feel superior to us and thus reinforce your ego. We understand that there must be some trauma in your past that has made you into the person you are now--and we want to help the healing by convincing you that you are, in fact, of worth.
LOL! Plus we're all drowning in credit card debt, so what does the extra dollar or two spent on a new release matter in the big picture! ;D ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The only time I "need" a new book right away is when it's the latest release in a series I love (Harry Potter, etc.) or a really good book I've been anticipating for months (rare). Otherwise, I can wait.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those who may be confused (or just plain rude), this is just a question and has nothing to do with feeling superior to anyone. I'm curious why, when there are probably millions of books available to read, that new releases must be bought in the first few overpriced days rather than waiting on a price drop. I presume for some people the answer is plentiful discretionary funds so budgeting and maximizing purchasing power isn't mandatory. It seems an interesting and legitimate inquiry into the buying habits of the population (of the forum).

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I think the only books that I *had* to buy when they were released were the Left Behind books, and even then, I waited for the paperback which came out the same week and I was able to use my employee discount at our church bookstore. I am all about bargain shopping!  :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's just a matter of personal preference.

There's another thread about buying books vs. going to the library... You can just as easily ask "why pay for the books at all?"

·
Registered
501 Posts
The only ones I MUST buy initially, are in a series, as in the Left Behind series someone else mentioned. Otherwise, even if the price is only a couple of bucks higher than $10, I'll probably wait to buy, if just out of principle!!!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
LDB said:
For those who may be confused (or just plain rude), this is just a question and has nothing to do with feeling superior to anyone. I'm curious why, when there are probably millions of books available to read, that new releases must be bought in the first few overpriced days rather than waiting on a price drop. I presume for some people the answer is plentiful discretionary funds so budgeting and maximizing purchasing power isn't mandatory. It seems an interesting and legitimate inquiry into the buying habits of the population (of the forum).
I agree with you. When I answered the question in my previous post, I meant to add that I'd wait for a price drop on something I "had" to buy (and I rarely "have" to buy anything). If it's above $9.99, I'll wait a few days/weeks for it to drop. Paying anything more - even for something you really want - just seems shortsighted and puzzling to me. But to each their own, I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts