Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking for a while, but only just joined up.

I really like the DecalGirl skins, but is there a reason other than looks to get one? Does it really protect the Kindle or does it cause dirt to get stuck on it like the little case I had for my Palm?

Some of them are so nice, but I worry about dust getting caught in the keys.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Barbara

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mostly I think it's just to liven up the Kindle, give it a different look. Sure it will keep it from getting dirty too, but I think it's 90% cosmetic.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I know what you mean by the dirt stuck on the case. Silicone cases seem to get every little piece of dust, fiber and hair stuck to them.

The skins, however, are vinyl; dirt will not stick to them.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Barbara M said:
Hi everyone.

I really like the DecalGirl skins, but is there a reason other than looks to get one? Does it really protect the Kindle or does it cause dirt to get stuck on it like the little case I had for my Palm?

Barbara
I don't notice a lot of dust accumulating around the keys; no more so than would be there without the skin, anyway. I think it will be easier to clean than the slightly textured surface of the Kindle, but yes, I got it because it was pretty.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
In my case, it was a cosmetic decision...to liven it up. I was tired of the plain white.

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Barbara M and welcome out of lurkdom!! I am buying a skin mostly for looks, but they do add a bit of protection to the case and since they are vinyl they don't grab the dust like the silicone ones do. I have had those in the past for phone and mp3 player and they have all gone by the wayside.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I thought they were all the same thing -- that's to say, I thought whatever you put on the device would cause the dust to get stuck. I didn't know there was a difference.

I'm going to have to look more closely at them.

Thanks for you quick replies.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Barbara M said:
Oh, I thought they were all the same thing -- that's to say, I thought whatever you put on the device would cause the dust to get stuck. I didn't know there was a difference.

I'm going to have to look more closely at them.

Thanks for you quick replies.
Any time!!!

Betsy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has anyone downloaded the wallpaper for the skins? I won one! I never win anything. The last thing I won was a month's free diaper service.(Yes it was that long ago.)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Barbara,

I too was wondering about the screen saver. Once you instal the decalgirl screen saver, do the default screen savers then stop working?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
sailor said:
Welcome Barbara,

I too was wondering about the screen saver. Once you instal the decalgirl screen saver, do the default screen savers then stop working?
Yes. And as far as I can tell, there is no way to have both. Well, I have suspicion of how you could have both but it would be a fairly long, complicated and tedious process and I am not going to try it to see if it works.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes. And as far as I can tell, there is no way to have both. Well, I have suspicion of how you could have both but it would be a fairly long, complicated and tedious process and I am not going to try it to see if it works.

L
Somewhere there's a link to a zip file of the original original set (slightly different from what I have on an almos tnew Kindle). You could install both those and the skin screensaver as custom. I will probably do that, just haven't done it yet.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Somewhere there's a link to a zip file of the original original set (slightly different from what I have on an almost new Kindle). You could install both those and the skin screensaver as custom. I will probably do that, just haven't done it yet.

Betsy
Yes...you'd need to copy them to the Kindle, go through through the Alt-F, then Alt-Shift-0 for each one. It just sounds like a whole bunch of work for a gang of screensavers that I was sick of after 6 months. That's my 2 cents others might feel differently.

The zip file is over on the mobileread forums. I don't have a link but it's not too hard to find with Google. I did download them when I was working on the FAQ book to see what they looked like and learn more about screensavers.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes...you'd need to copy them to the Kindle, go through through the Alt-F, then Alt-Shift-0 for each one. It just sounds like a whole bunch of work for a gang of screensavers that I was sick of after 6 months. That's my 2 cents others might feel differently.

The zip file is over on the mobileread forums. I don't have a link but it's not too hard to find with Google. I did download them when I was working on the FAQ book to see what they looked like and learn more about screensavers.

L
Well, I probably won't do ALL of them, but there were some I liked...

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Finally picked out a DecalGirl skin and my daughter kindly put it on for me.

Tonight, I downloaded the screensaver wallpaper and got these confusing instructions. I am feeling really dumb right now, so I would appreciate if someone could interpret this for me.

Mount your Kindle to your computer and create a new directory on the top and name it Pictures, and within that directory create another directory name anything you want (e.g., "Pictures/My Pictures").
I assume they are telling me to connect Little Gertie to the computer via USB. What do they mean by "create a new directory on the top? On the top of what? Do they mean "folder" when they say "directory?"

Add images to that directory, then unmount the Kindle.
I assume that's where I put the screen saver.

Go to Home Screen and press ALT+Z to create a new book out of "My Pictures." Note that it will appear at the END of your list of books.
What happens when I press ALT + Z? What will I see?

Open book, then press F to go into full-screen mode.

For each image you want to turn into a screensaver, press ALT+SHIFT+0 (zero).
Does pressing F select the screen saver? Or do I have to move the scroll bar to that "book" and then press F?

You can delete the "My Pictures" book and directory when finished-it won't affect the screensaver images.
I assume this is instructions for deleting the Decal Girl screen saver and going back to the originals. ????

Thanks Gertie

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Barbara M said:
Hi everyone.

Barbara
It mainly ascetic. I couldn't stand how plain the white was, so went with a skin. Adds some personality to it.
I personally I have two skins and love it.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I went through the steps to download my DecalGirl screensaver, and it worked perfectly until ...  Little Gertie wouldn't wake up.  I did a soft reset and she went to the Amazon Kindle page, but no further.  I pressed the home button, and she went to the home page.  Then I was able to put her to sleep and wake her up. 

I'll tell ya', messing around with Little Gertie makes me nervous.  I need chocolate. 

1 - 20 of 35 Posts