Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the kind of review that makes me want to scream:

2 out of 5 stars: Creepy, really creepy
No kidding this is "psychological / horror" and that's not my cup of tea. Even though I finished this book (I rarely don't finish a book once I've started it), the farther into it I read, the more disturbing it was to me. The book is well written in terms of wordsmithing, however, I would not recommend this book to any of my book-loving friends.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
This is the kind of review that makes me want to scream:
I bet TLC would take an option on a reality TV show in which people are asked questions about things they bought and hated for being what they bought.

Can't be worse than Honey Boo Boo or Gypsy Sisters.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Aw man.  The upside is it's a pretty strong endorsement of your book as a thriller, hopefully people pay attention to the words not the rating.  This is why sometimes negative reviews are helpful.  What one person doesn't like may be just what someone else is looking for.

If I'm looking for a thriller, getting more disturbed as I read on is perfect.  I know that doesn't help much when they are hurting your rating though.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robin_hart said:
Aw man. The upside is it's a pretty strong endorsement of your book as a thriller, hopefully people pay attention to the words not the rating. This is why sometime negative reviews are helpful. What one person doesn't like may be just what someone else is looking for.
Actually, that's pretty much how I see it too. Thanks.

No Irish Cream in the house, Bleekness, but a martini is coming up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow, that is an AWESOME review. Honestly, I would be thrilled by that. The two star stands out and people will look at that to find the "dirt" on your book. When they read how it drew such emotion from that reader (In addition to it being well written), I think they'll snap it right up. GREAT JOB!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Take one generous scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, slightly softened. Top with two jiggers of Drambuie. Repeat as necessary until bad feelings dissipate.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
ChristopherDavidPetersen said:
Wow, that is an AWESOME review. Honestly, I would be thrilled by that. The two star stands out and people will look at that to find the "dirt" on your book. When they read how it drew such emotion from that reader (In addition to it being well written), I think they'll snap it right up. GREAT JOB!!
I agree. That is the perfect 2 star review. The reasons this person hates it, is the exact reason the intended audience will buy it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If I'm considering buying a book I always look at the one- and two-star reviews, and I would definitely buy a book with a review like that. Sorry your star rating is taking a hit, though.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
The worst is when your own fans hate one book because it's not like that other book you wrote, that they love.

See, this is one of the forces pushing artists to be less innovative. If you deliver the same exact product, over and over, everybody will be happy.

We may not think we are brands, but ... the outside world wants us to be consistent like Starbucks.

Sucks, but whatchagonnado.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sigh* Same thing happened to me, my only 2 star rating complains that my book is too dark, and not light hearted enough. The first sentence of my Blurb is a warning that this is not a light hearted read, it is very dark.  ::)

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Deanna Chase said:
I agree. That is the perfect 2 star review. The reasons this person hates it, is the exact reason the intended audience will buy it.
This. I've seen people say they only look at the lowest reviews, so if you've gotta have a two star, that one's perfect. That said, if it hurts your overall rating I know it's no fun. :-\

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd actually take that as a pretty awesome review, honestly. It isn't saying your book's bad, it's an endorsement from someone who doesn't usually read horror saying that your horror freaked them out. The two star rating is a bit of a puzzler (why buy it if it's in a genre you don't normally go for), but the actual content of the review is pretty encouraging, I'd say. Anyway, good job on making something that freaked someone out :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Deanna Chase said:
Totally agree! Some of the best ebooks I've read I've bought on the basis of reviews like this. Doesn't make them fun reviews to get though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
Seems a bit like complaining a book about Babe Ruth has too much baseball.
Right.
I insert any number of warnings, such as "Not for the prudish, the politically correct, or for those without a liberal sense of humor" (in blurb, as well as on the copyright page/disclaimer) in books where such a warning applies, and will yet find someone buying the book and returning it with a review saying, "This was not the type of book I anticipated."

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
J Bridger said:
I've had that happen before. Sometimes you wonder if people pay attention to blurbs or descriptions!
They don't. I just got a 3-star review on one of my knitting books. The description says it contains instructions on the technique and four patterns. The reviewer said "I was disappointed that there were so few patterns." Sigh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts