Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I both have Kindles. I actually enjoyed going to the library and looking at all the new books with their flashy covers.  Then it was fun bringing them home and reading them.  I usually got hard backs.

However I had a shoulder replacement due to an accident on my bicycle last year.  After that it became difficult to pick up and hold those heavy books.  To read the Dome by Steven King would be especially hard since it is 1200 pages and must weigh 3 or 4 pounds.

I picked the Kindle over the nook strictly based on weight since since I didn't know anything about either of them.

My wife has physical problems due to a car accident so also has problems reading library books.

So we have Kindles for the simple reason that we have difficulty reading library books.

So what was the real reason you bought your Kindle?

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is more than one reason for me. Speed of delivery is probably the first. Plus all the free and cheap ebooks. Plus the amount of Kindle books at Amazon. The Kindle is also a part of my own editing process. I read my stories on the Kindle and listen to them, which is rather painful with that monotone voice. But it works for me.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had only a Kindle app on my PC for a while, intending to get an actual Kindle later. But a fan of my web site learned I was writing Kindle ebooks without owning an actual Kindle, and gifted me one for Christmas! Yay!

I first downloaded the Kindle app to read an ebook about publishing on Kindles. I bought the ebook with a $5 Amazon gift card I won online (I'm not kidding).

I've been publishing stories and other items on my web site since the early 1990s, and earning an income from them. I decided to start publishing ebooks too once it appeared that they were finally consolidating into some sort of orderly industry and formats. The success of the Amazon Kindle (and Amazon's strong courting of indies with their KDP system) had a lot to do with me deciding the time had come.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My initial reason was because of the portability - I ALWAYS carry a book, and some of them are heavy. And there were times I carried two because I was near the end of one. Then I realized how much easier it is to hold. I have arthritis in my right hand, and I used to skip reading because it hurt too much to hold the book open and turn the pages. I can now read comfortably, even while lying in bed, which I couldn't do before. And the K3 is so clear I can even read and without my glasses!

The Kindle is an absolute godsend. Seriously the coolest thing I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
1. I don't have room to store books in our small apartment
2. I get pain in my hand from holding books open too long (okay, it also happens when I'm on the computer too long but the Kindle definitely helps reduce it)
3. I travel at least once a year
4. Instant gratification, no shipping charges (I don't drive, we live in the city so I can get around by public transport but it's so much easier to use the internet)

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
A friend showed me his K3. After saying for years that I would never have an e reader (I wanted to hold a real book, turn pages, smell the paper, etc, etc,) I  was stunned at the clarity and readability of the e-ink display. When he demonstrated the ease and fun of browsing and purchasing e books I was sold completely.  

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I was looking to buy something unique for myself.
I kept it, and later bought a K2 because it's much easier to travel with one Kindle (and one Sony) than several DTBs.
deb

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
DH bought my first Kindle for me knowing I am a readaholic and that it would give me constant access to new material.  We used to make a once-a-month trip to the "big city" to buy dozens of books to hold us over until the next trip as there is no place besides the grocery or Wal-Mart to buy books in our small town and the library is abysmal.

I used to get really grumpy when my TBR pile was getting low and the 90-110 mile trip to a bookstore wasn't in the schedule.  The Kindle maintains my mental health (well, mostly)  ::) :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my first ereader because I love to read, and I loved the idea of having 100s of books at my fingertips when I was out and about. It was a Sony Pocket edition, and I had it a year and a half before recently purchasing my K3. I wanted something with a bigger screen and Wi-Fi, but was also light (compared to the nook that my dd has). The ability to borrow library books in the future was a big plus.  Also, I have never heard any complaints from people I know who have Kindles, but I can't say the same for the nook. It seemed like there was no better choice!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Convenience of e-books.  I read more now that I don't have to hassle with buying books I'll read once or using the library etc.

I went Kindle over Sony Reader (the only other major e-reader by in early 2009) for the Kindle store (better selection and prices at the time) and whispernet.  I liked the Sony readers better hardware wise, but the store and Whispernet won me over.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My book shelves were are overloaded. I took a lot of books and donated them the our public library, but still have tons. I figured an ereader would solve my problem.

I also love gadgets, so I initially purchased the Nook, love it. But I kept hearing so much about the kindle and how much easier it was to use, so when the $139 kindle came out, I splurged and got one. I have to say, I fell in love with it. I liked the pearl ink screen and it was easier on my eyes if that makes sense.

I go back and forth between the kindle and my nook. I enjoy them both. I now travel and don't have to take a ton of books with me, I just grab one of my devices and go.

I just regret not buying the light for my cases I really could have used that on my last trip to read at night : )

Reading on an ereader is a great experience...I still occasionally will grab a paperback.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I had a lot of trouble deciding what books to take home with me on a 12 hour train trip back to my parents home and was carrying around way too much weight. So Mainly it was easier to carry around a kindle than LOTR in hardcover or one of the Hobb books.
Also the vast ammount of free books and the fact that the kindle will be worth itself by the end of the second year since I no longer have to buy reprinted copies of the classics but can now get them for free, adds up really fast.

One of the more secondary reasons is that I used to read ebooks on my eeepc which was really nice but the old little thing was dieing on me. And a kindle is much cheaper then a replacement netbook to read ebooks on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
since I already had a Sony and understood the convenience of
using an e-reader the Kindle was purchased simply for the ease
of purchasing on Amazon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Honestly, the absolute reason that pushed it over the top for me was free 3g internet access worldwide. I was planning a trip to Japan and needed something that would give me some measure of contact with people back home. I had a laptop for when there were wifi hotspots available, but I was thinking about renting a cell phone too. The price of the K3g offset the cell phone rental pretty well on my limited budget, plus had all of the benefits of being a Kindle! It worked perfectly for my needs during my trip and my wife ended up getting one too! We love 'em for all of the usual reasons, but the one that kicked me into actually buying my first one was the free worldwide internet access.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Initially I bought my Kindle b/c my first book came out as an eBook and I wanted to see what all the buzz was about. Didn't take long to realize the benefits of the Kindle, already mentioned in previous posts. I love the low cost books and the fact I get them instantly. I'm never without a book to read.

·
Registered
57 Posts
First was because I'm already out of room for more books.  Second because I can take my library with me wherever I go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
1.  I love gadgets
2.  I love to read
3. I love bargains and free books
4.  I'm terrible at remembering to return library books
5.  Decided on the Kindle over the Nook because, at the time I got mine, the Nook was on preorder and untested.  The Kindle was on it's 2nd gen and had rave reviews.  In addition, at the time, Amazon had more of my favorite authors available in ebook format.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought my Kindle Klassic 3 years ago primarily because I ran out of storage room.  I live in a small space and being a prolific reader I just ran out of shelf space.  I loved the idea of the instant download and the ease of buying.  Once I got it I fell in love with the easy, comfortable way to read.  When I hold an actual book now I feel awkward!  I just ordered a new K3 even though my K1 was still going strong.  I have no real reason except that I wanted one!  I am gifting a friend with my trusty K1.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I didn't buy my Kindle--my DH bought it as a Christmas gift for me.  He bought it for me because he knows what an avid reader I am and he thought I would enjoy it.  It didn't hurt that we are both gadget junkies, too.  ;)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts