Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just curious.......  Why do authors make some of their books available on Kindle and not others?  For example, I read Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two by Kate Jacobs and LOVED both of them, so now I want to read her new book Comfort Food and it is not available on Kindle.  ???

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's not necessarily the author that makes that decision.  In fact if there are some books available and others that are not it is most likely the publisher that has decided which books to offer.  I have also found that some publishers are still in the process of scrambling to get their back libraries formated for eBooks.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
For some reason, it sometimes takes longer for a Kindle version of a book to be made available when a new book comes out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
intinst said:
For some reason, it sometimes takes longer for a Kindle version of a book to be made available when a new book comes out.
So, maybe I still have hope......maybe Comfort Food will be available on Kindle sooooon!!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
NurseLisa said:
So, maybe I still have hope......maybe Comfort Food will be available on Kindle sooooon!!!! ;D
Click on the "I want to read" button. Add it to the "Click on this book" thread here at KindleBoards. Write the author. Write the publisher. Two books I wanted on Kindle -- which I was told had no plans to be offered in ebook versions -- have magically appeared in the Amazon catalog. I have pre-ordered and they will be delivered on Monday. I truly believe that consumer demand made the difference in this case.

L

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Be sure you are klicking on the  "I want to read this book on my Kindle" button. It helps a lot to let the publishers know there is a demand and sometimes speed up the process.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sometimes I will google the author and see if he has a website. I check that and then maybe email the author directly saying how much I love the book(s) and would so much love to have them available for the Kindle.

Steve

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
It's been my experience that authors don't even know that their books get released for the Kindle. Using the "click to tell the publisher" seems to be the most effective method in addition to contacting the publisher direct. Authors generally have zero input on how the books get published.

Mike

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
jmiked said:
Authors generally have zero input on how the books get published. Mike
I believe this is so. Popular mega-authors however are another thing and have the clout to make that decision.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leslie said:
Click on the "I want to read" button. Add it to the "Click on this book" thread here at KindleBoards. Write the author. Write the publisher. Two books I wanted on Kindle -- which I was told had no plans to be offered in ebook versions -- have magically appeared in the Amazon catalog. I have pre-ordered and they will be delivered on Monday. I truly believe that consumer demand made the difference in this case.

L
Thanks Leslie, I will do that! ;D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If electronic rights were not sold with the book, then the publisher can't make it available for any ereader until they secure those rights. Some publishers may also sit on the electronic print run until the initial push for the hardback (or trade, if that's what the first print run was) has passed. They go where the money is and right now it's not in formats for the Kindle or Sony eReader. Soon, though...soon they shall all bow to our will ;)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I have an email buddy who is a Hugo-nominated author of science fiction. He kept the ebook rights for himself and now has all his books except for the latest one (from Tor) on Amazon as self-published. I think his case is very atypical.

Mike

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Who's your buddy, if you don't mind saying? I'm always on the lookout for good new-to-me science fiction. :) Especially if it's on Kindle. :D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Thanks, Mike!

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are a lot of titles that I click the I want to read this book on kindle.  Some of them are kindleized sooner than others.  I would like to know how many times someone has to click before a book is available on kindle.  I just click on a title numerous times.  I am still clicking.  I also don't get why some books in a series are available on kindle and some aren't.  I am currently reading the series by Jennifer Chiaverini by checking books out of the library because the first two weren't available on the kindle.  Amazon's loss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts