Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah...I've been wondering about this for a long time. Are they sturdy, good looking, etc. that you guys love it so much? Just curious.  ;D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Very sturdy, very protective, very good looking, very good smelling. Fantastic thick beautiful tooled leather. Also handmade in California. :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Sleek, Elegant, Smell Yummy!, Beautiful, Well Crafted, Sturdy, Good Price for the Quality, Thinner than you'd expect, Wonderful choices/options, Color variety..............did I mention Smell? ;)

And this is coming from a person who originally said I wouldn't buy one because they were too expensive! :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Well, I can't speak for anyone else.....

I love real leather.  The quality is very high and yes, they're very sturdy.  I love art, and these qualify.  They're not excessively larger than the K2 (unlike the M-Edge platform, which was my first planned cover before I saw the Oberons, but they're large enough to actually provide some protection to the Kindle edges.  And Oberon is a small, family run, US company with their products made entirely here--right now, in this economy, that counts for a lot with me.  I can't always guarantee I'm buying American nowadays, and having owned several small businesses, I know the pain they're in now, so when I can, I try to make that part of my decision making process.

Oh, and did I mention they're absolutely freaking gorgeous? :D

This isn't to take away from anything else on the market.  I just think a lot of people in this section of the boards have a bit of a creative or artsy streak, and we're rabidly trying to personalize our Kindles (OK, and probably everything else we own!)  The Oberon covers help me put MY stamp on what I consider to be a fairly plain Jane device.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The way it looks from a distance (and up close,) the way it feels in my hands when I'm reading, the compliments I get from friends, family and strangers, the SPECIALNESS of each design, and the protection they offer my devices while traveling.

I have Avenue of Trees on my Kindle Klassic, and Roof of Heaven on my Kindle 2.  They transport me to a different mindset each time I see them; very different places since the covers are so different.

We recently gave an Oberon journal to a friend as a gift and he sent me a thank you that called it a work of art.  I couldn't agree more.

The originality, the craftsmanship, the fantastic customer service, and supporting a small company in California that produces unique, exquisite products all add up to a win-win for each order I've placed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, there's a lot of "it smells good". Now, I wanna have one just to get the chance to sniff it!  ;D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok, am I the only Oberon cover owner who just got up, walked over to her Kindle and sniffed?  ::)

Anyway I love it because of its intricate beauty, the way it feels, the solidness it lends to the kindle and that it gives a bookishness to the Kindle--- like you went to an out-of-the-way old fashioned book store on a quiet street, were searching in the back stacks and found this jewel. You went Whoosh and blew off a little dust, sniffed it (at least you all did) and said this book is mine!

It gives a nod to the past with the future inside.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
JeanThree said:
I like that description!
Oberon should use it on their site!

·
Registered
377 Posts
JeanThree said:
Ok, am I the only Oberon cover owner who just got up, walked over to her Kindle and sniffed? ::)

Anyway I love it because of its intricate beauty, the way it feels, the solidness it lends to the kindle and that it gives a bookishness to the Kindle--- like you went to an out-of-the-way old fashioned book store on a quiet street, were searching in the back stacks and found this jewel. You went Whoosh and blew off a little dust, sniffed it (at least you all did) and said this book is mine!

Spot on!

·
Registered
82 Posts
My first cover was a Cole Haan, my second an M-Edge and my third, which arrived today, is an Oberon.

All three covers have their pros and cons, but the Oberon is just exquisite, truly a work of art.  While it smells good (although the Cole Haan smells better), and it protects the Kindle (although the M-Edge travels easier) the Oberon wraps your book collection with the tactile, olfactory and artistic goodness that traditional dead-tree books have had for centuries.

·
Registered
124 Posts
JeanThree said:

DING DING: We have the winner of the perfect description ;D

·
Registered
126 Posts
libros_lego said:
Are they sturdy, good looking, etc. that you guys love it so much?
  • Strong
  • Sturdy
  • Retain and protect the Kindle well
  • Long-term Durable
  • It's a work of art
  • It's made by hand (partly, anyway)
  • It's made by American entrepreneur's in a small business
  • It's a quality product

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have K1 and it loves being in it's Oberon cover.  I had an mEdge but it was wobbly.  I didn't like holding it and the lining got yucky where I held on to it.  I read a lot!!!  The Oberon is smooth leather where I hold it so it's staying clean.  Since I carry my Kindle everywhere it's great to have a classy cover.  The Oberon is much sturdier than the original cover and the mEdge.  I also like the side pockets.  I keep lists and boarding passes etc. in the cover.  One of my reasons for not upgrading to K2 was that I didn't want to have to buy a new cover.  I've spent enough on K1!!!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
People are always surprised when I open my leather cover and there is a Kindle inside.  I think it lets me add some personality to my reader.  I also agree with the more poetic descriptions above.  It's beautiful and has that lovely leather smell.
And I like that the company is responsive to our needs.  They started with just velcro and when the requests for a different type of holder grew, they found a way to use corners instead.  They started with just a few designs and have added.  Additional colors started appearing.  And they are working to find a way to recast the journal buttons so they can be used on the Kindle covers.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
JeanThree said:
Ok, am I the only Oberon cover owner who just got up, walked over to her Kindle and sniffed? ::)
No, you're not. There's another thread going that is talking about the smell of the Oberon. I finally picked mine up last night and smelled it. They were right, it smells really good.

What everyone has said is true, they are high quality sturdy, beautiful covers.
deb

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I love the feel of the leather and how he makes my Kindle so personal. The craftmanship is beautiful and it gives me the feeling of reading a DTB. I'm not a sniffer, but after reading so much about the smell I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
135 Posts
JeanThree said:

Well, if you aren't a salesperson, you've missed you're calling. Or are you a writer? Anyway, I just ordered the Forest cover in fern because of your wonderful description. It sure better measure up! ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts