Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write because my day job is demanding and discourages 'creativity.'
My writing helps me leave the stress of the real world behind and acts as 'safety valve'. Writing is an addiction - I get twitchy and cranky if deprived of time at the keyboard...

So how about you? I'm curious as to why other people write...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I first started writing to learn how to use a word processor (Word Perfect I seem to recall) when I got my first computer (A 486 with a 120Mb Hard Drive). It was only meant to be a short story, but I enjoyed the experience and found I was quite good at it, so it evolved into a 127K word novel. I have continued purely because I enjoy storytelling and love the reaction of people who read it; especially family, who can't believe that it's actually me who wrote what they're reading. And of course there's the money ......... no, wait a minute ........ not even enough to declare to the tax man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

·
Registered
548 Posts
It's probably going to sound really cheesy and cliche, but it's the truth.

When I read a really good book, I forget about all the bad stuff that's going on in my life. I see things happen in books that I sometimes wish would happen in my life, and I see other things that make me wonder how people survive through it. Because they do. I'm a cynical person. I fully believe that nothing in life is guaranteed and not everyone will have their happy ending or their happily ever after. But when I'm reading, it makes me believe that sometimes it does happen. And better, it makes me believe it *can* happen. To me. To anyone.

I want to offer to readers what other authors have offered me: the possibility. I can't change the world, and I doubt I ever will. But if I can change someone's life--for even five minutes--by making them forget their problems, then that's what I want to do. I want to share hope with them. I want to remind them that happy endings are possible and to not lose hope in that. I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the word, but I tend to think hope is what keeps people going, and I want to give that back to someone else. Even if--or maybe especially--it's only temporary.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Todd beat me to it.  I write because I have to.  Stories generate themselves inside my skull and beat on the inside of my brain, demanding to be let out.  If I didn't write them down, my head would probably explode.  It's not a voluntary thing. ;D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have been spinning tales for a while, it was just a matter of time before I started writing them down. I can't imagine a day without writing. I have been creating characters and worlds for several years, and I love every aspect of the process.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have been writing in one form or another since I sat down at my mom's electric typewriter in the 3rd grade and typed out 3 pages...single spaced...one paragraph...of something I called a "book" which was supposed to be a sequel to "Jaws."  The book was, as you might guess, awful, but the creative process had me hooked.  I write because, well, I HAVE to.  The stories come to me.  Sometimes they hit me so hard they just about drive me crazy as the stories and characters run around and around in my brain.  I have written for a long time, for myself, and only in the last four or five years have I found publishing deals and, thanks to Kindle, found people to read my fiction. 

I have often told people that being creative is really not far off from being insane.  I mean, I hear voices in my head, create worlds that don't exist, and create entire scenarios that only exist in my mind.  How far off is that from being schizophrenic?  I wonder if other creative people do that...I bet they do.  I bet the musician hears tunes in his head and the artists sees images that he needs to paint, draw or sculpt.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
EllenFisher said:
Todd beat me to it. I write because I have to. Stories generate themselves inside my skull and beat on the inside of my brain, demanding to be let out. If I didn't write them down, my head would probably explode. It's not a voluntary thing. ;D
Hahaha! Ellen, you read my mind. lol. When I opened this thread my intention was to respond, "So my head doesn't explode."

Great minds.... ;)

Sandy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Half-Orc said:
My wife made me.
That'll definitely do it. lol

In any case, I write because I have stories in my head that need to get told. I have too much creative energy for my own good, and something needs to be done with it. lol

7,412 Posts
Ian Weaver said:
Ha ha

Ian
You think I'm kidding? I always told my wife about all the stuff that'd happen in the story, on car rides and walks and whatnot, but finally, after six months of this, she gave me an ultimatum: either write it, or never talk about it again. Beyond that, I also stalled halfway through what is now book 2, and made every excuse to not finish (at one point I never touched it for six months). My wife harassed me like mad, because she wanted the story finished. Took me forever, but I got it done. So when the Kindle finally came around, and I realized that it would be huge, well, I had this epic fantasy here I basically wrote for my wife.... ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The best explanation I read was on Twitter. I can't remember who said it, sorry, but she had a great reason.

"I have six kids and if I want anybody to listen to me, I have to create them."

Paraphrased, of course. I don't have six kids but I can relate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Todd Russell said:
Because I have to :) It's not work to me, it's something I love doing.
Exactly what I was going to say, because I have to. I've been writing since I was little, just silly stories and poems, and it's the only thing that I've ever really been able to stick to. And even though I tried to find other interests that would be more lucrative, I couldn't stop scribbling thoughts on napkins and coming up with story lines. I just love that feeling that I get when I'm really getting into my story and words are flowing, it's like my mind is clear. Which may sound incredibly cheesy.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Half-Orc said:
You think I'm kidding? I always told my wife about all the stuff that'd happen in the story, on car rides and walks and whatnot, but finally, after six months of this, she gave me an ultimatum: either write it, or never talk about it again. Beyond that, I also stalled halfway through what is now book 2, and made every excuse to not finish (at one point I never touched it for six months). My wife harassed me like mad, because she wanted the story finished. Took me forever, but I got it done. So when the Kindle finally came around, and I realized that it would be huge, well, I had this epic fantasy here I basically wrote for my wife.... ;)
I retract my Ha ha LOL - and replace it with ... good for her and I bet now, you're pleased she did.

Ian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts