Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want this book but I don't want to pay more than $9.99 for it - mainly b/c I have the dead tree version that I won't get around to reading b/c it isn't on my Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Snapcat said:
Hm good idea. I'm sure the price will drop eventually. I just add them to my wishlist and check on them later. 8)
Although Society's Child, the autobiography by Janis Ian, was $16.01 when it came out in July and the price hasn't changed. So there is one book where the price hasn't changed.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:
Although Society's Child, the autobiography by Janis Ian, was $16.01 when it came out in July and the price hasn't changed. So there is one book where the price hasn't changed.
The Tenth Gift has been out since May. I keep waiting for the price to drop. So far, no luck.

There is also a new biography out about FDR that is $19 right now. I keep checking that one as well.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
quickfics said:
My question is, why doesn't Amazon have an "I'll buy this when hell freezes over" button? I'm looking at you Mr. Bryan. ;)
There was another one that came up that was in that same category. Maybe it was while you were on vacation. Through Thick & Thin by Moniqua McCoy Perkins and Jalen Perkins.

The sample was just....amazing. Truly something to read. The cover art was something else, too.

L

·
Registered
89 Posts
Because then everyone will press it!

I can understand some books being out of my financial reach but I can also sympathize with the author not wanting a project that he/she spent years pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into.

I guess it depends on how well that author is doing? If you wrote a book and it was selling like hot cakes for 10 bills would you drop it's price? And what did people do before ebooks came about? I remember paying $20 dollars minimum for the books I wanted to read at the book store, all hard cover of course. Looking back I don't regret it either. They were well worth the money I paid to be taken away to that other world for a while.

Don't get my wrong, I love a cheap book just as much as the next human, but I also woudn't wait on a book to have it's price lowered if it was recommended to me and/or I loved what I read in the summary.

The idea just scares me a little I guess.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
history_lover said:
You mean a price watch? Try www.ereaderiq.com - granted, the book won't automatically be purchased when the price drops if that's what you're wishing Amazon would do, but it alerts you when the price drops below your specified threshold and then you can buy it yourself.
I'll second the recommendation of ereaderiq. I have about 30 books being monitored there right now. They also have a notification service for books for which you want to be notified when they are kindle-ized.

Not many vendors would put a button on their product pages which said "Notify me when you're going to make less money on this item." ;D

Mike

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I used the wish list on audible to track books I want to buy when they go on sale.  Because audible has some fantastic sales at times whereas Amazons kindle books really don't go on sale.  At least not the ones sold by big publishing (which are the ones that have sticker shock).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Haha, $9.99 expensive?? I agree that's it's a lot for a mass market ebook but it's still not a lot. I live in Japan and am doing an online Msc. The prices of some books on my reading list would make your eyes water. I have to import them through Amazon Japan which makes it worse, but £30+ is not uncommon. One anthology was something like £175. Needless to say, I ignored that one...

Chris Ward

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Interesting idea.  As an author, being able to collect this information from readers would be a HUGE benefit.  Instead, I agonize over price points and constantly adjust and re-adjust the price of my books.  It gives me a stomach ache.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What I would like if they would install is an icon that said this is what I would pay for that and my answer would be $6 not a penny more.  Any more than that and I have just lost interest. 

·
Registered
180 Posts
About 2/ 1/2 years ago I left books on my wish list and after a few months the price fell below 10 bucks or so.  That stopped over a year ago, about the time Amazon began to blame the prices on the publisher.  Its rare the prices come down anymore on books I want.  I think its a major scam, once the book is in an electronic format there is no more expense. Just picking a number, these books shouldn't cost more than $5, just the press of a button.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.