Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
headofwords said:
I recently wrote a blog about why I don't think ebooks will ever be better as a reading experience than paper books. This is mostly to do with the books as objects themselves, but I'd be interested to know what you think.

http://amillionmilesfromanywhere.blogspot.jp/2013/03/why-ebooks-will-never-be-better-than.html
Books "as objects themselves" has nothing to do with the reading experience. If I want a book as a decorative object, I suspect I can order hundreds of used books online to decorate my house (and hope they don't smell musty or carry enough dust to make everyone sick).

I am not likely to be reading them.

ETA: I long ago got rid of all of my print books (I had thousands) except for my non-fiction. Now all the print I read are the heavy tomes that are required for my historical fiction research. ::)

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I wanted paper I go to the Thrift store and find most of the popular dead tree copies there for $.50. I read about 150 books a year and I'd be broke if I were to buy paper. I'm perfectly happy with my e-Ink Reader, and I don't have to build another bookcase.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Decorators will provide a false front for bookshelves. It has a bunch of spines facing out with cabinet space behind. Handy storage, and it looks good.

·
Registered
986 Posts
because you can't take an ereader in the bath with you?  (or am I the only weirdo that likes to read in the bathtub?) Well, I guess you could but I don't think it would be good for your health or the kindle's . . .

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
dkgould said:
because you can't take an ereader in the bath with you? (or am I the only weirdo that likes to read in the bathtub?) Well, I guess you could but I don't think it would be good for your health or the kindle's . . .
I've taken my ereader into the hot tub at the gym. I just used a ziplock baggie over it. Actually, I used two, but I think one would have been fine. It's actually easier to use than a paper book and doesn't get warped from the water.

·
Registered
986 Posts
MaryMcDonald said:
I've taken my ereader into the hot tub at the gym. I just used a ziplock baggie over it. Actually, I used two, but I think one would have been fine. It's actually easier to use than a paper book and doesn't get warped from the water.
ooooh thank you! Now I have to try that. I knew I couldn't be the only one!

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Of course the old books are all pretty to look at. I can't afford to own such books though. I have one bookshelf left in my place. On it are the books that are out of print and there are no ebook version, but I can't really read them. Yellow and small print. But I keep them as I am attached to those stories. I also still have my Stephen King hardcover collection. The only fiction books I bought in hard cover. And of course my cookbooks are there also.

But right now I am struggling to read a paperback new release from the library. And by struggling, I don't mean the story, I mean struggling to hold the book open. I swear its like a workout and my hands and wrists are really hurting. It takes so much strength to keep it open so I can read all the way inside the spine. Ugh. And because it takes both of my hands to keep it open to read, I can't pet my cat. Rule of the house "Cat not happy, nobody happy.  :D

So for me fiction books are the story. And its the same story on my Kindle than in the paper version. Just that I can read the kindle version so much easier and comfortable.

I am from a small town in Bavaria. We have a very famous library in a Basilika church. Those books are awe inspiring to look at. You can't touch though. They are so old and of course historical. Objects. But not to read. Like statues. Untouchable.

I spend 5 years just looking at books before I got my first Kindle in 2008. I haven't looked back since. I went on to read almost 200 books in 2009.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Oddly, though we do have members here who have books as collectibles ("my preciousssss"), I'll not be surprised that when the majority of members posting in this thread prefer ebooks.  ;)

I don't buy paper books anymore, except for quilting or birding books.  And fewer of those now that I have my Fire.  I've even switched my magazine subscription to Quilting Arts over to a digital version.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I love my paper books. I will never get rid of them. However, when I moved I had to confront the fact that I just had too many books. I have a library, with floor-to-high-ceiling bookcases on one wall, and standalone bookcases lining the opposite wall. We have bookcases in every bedroom. We have a bookcase in the foyer. We have a bookcase in the kitchen. And every bookcase in the house is loaded with books. (Most of these books were bought at used bookstores, library sales, or on bargain tables.) It's to the point of absurdity. I can't buy any more books without building more bookcases, and it's easier and more sensible to just buy electronic books, for the most part. They take up a great deal less space!

Books are not all about content. Books are about history.
Eh, sort of. One of the awesomest things about ebooks is that starting with Project Gutenberg and going on from there, they've unearthed ancient literary treasures (as well as books that were basically junk) and made them readily available as well as cheap (if not free). This is a point in favor of ebooks-- it's relatively easy to find old, out-of-print stuff that couldn't be readily found at bookstores. That being said, I do treasure my complete set of 1910 Encyclopeaedia Britannicas, so I know what you mean. But I don't actually read old books for fear of damaging them, so they're honestly more like furniture than books.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
dkgould said:
ooooh thank you! Now I have to try that. I knew I couldn't be the only one!
I was about to post exactly the same thing. Lots of people read in the bath with their Kindle. I have never found anywhere I couldn't read with it. :)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Waterproof covers on Amazon? I have to check that out!

I was one that was sure I would always like "real" books better. Then I got my kindle. Haven't bought a real book since, except for reference. It is much less painful for my thumb and my wrists. I love, love, lover my kindle.

·
Registered
632 Posts
So, I'm not a collector or anything, but I own a lot of out of print books, which are pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to find in ebook format, as yet.  It may get to the point where you can get any book digitally, but until you can, I'll be living with my shelves of paper books.  (much to my husband's dismay)

The reading experience I don't have much to say about, though.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Caddy said:
Waterproof covers on Amazon? I have to check that out!
lol I just did! By the way, OP, totally didn't mean to sidetrack your thread with the guilty pleasure of reading in the tub. I do agree that some books just have that homey feel to them and though I may own a copy on my kindle, I'll never get rid of my paperback or hardcover copy. Besides, it's much easier to write in the margins of a paperback than try to type on that tiny keyboard.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I use a baggie too. Many paperbacks died after falling in the pool a few years back. I fell out of my float a few too many times. lol.

I was 100% paper book and anti kindle. It took me forever to change. Then I realized that I could read longer without issues. I'm dyslexic. If you know anyone that struggles with dyslexia, here's a post on it: http://blog.demonkissed.com/?p=666

I have my favorite books in paperback. And my kindle is in a baggie. And I got one of those tooled leather cases for it recently from one of the board sponsors. Its soooooo pretty! And it smells good too. lol.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love my Paperwhite (particularly being able to read at night without annoying the wife with the light!) but I also love my collection of print books.  Mind you, I still buy CDs. No one else I know has even paid for music in years.

·
Registered
728 Posts
headofwords said:
I love my Paperwhite (particularly being able to read at night without annoying the wife with the light!) but I also love my collection of print books. Mind you, I still buy CDs. No one else I know has even paid for music in years.
Oh, I love CDs. My Asian music CD collection alone is over 600 jewel cases strong. Last year I spent about 400 dollars on used CDs (oh, back when I had a good paying job.)

But meh, "real" books. Personally I could never stand the feel or smell of them. Then again I don't like the smells of new cars or babies. =P Or most smells in general. Unless it's chocolate. Now, if books smelled like chocolate, I may be more prone to holding them (and eating them.)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
holly w. said:
I was 100% paper book and anti kindle. It took me forever to change. Then I realized that I could read longer without issues. I'm dyslexic. If you know anyone that struggles with dyslexia, here's a post on it: http://blog.demonkissed.com/?p=666
The non-curvature of the page is what makes it possible for my brother to read much more easily now (he's always loved to) and it's the reason he's writing now. He's not heavily dyslexic, it's just enough that under certain circumstances it's made reading more difficult than it should have been. So computers/e-ink/tablets solves it for him.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts