Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read the article before responding. There seems to be confusion (by the first few answering posters) that this is about Google + pages. It's not. It's about how using the +1 button will raise your visibility in Google searches. We all want more visibility in Google searches, don't we?

This article by Anna Attkisson on Mashable (reprinted from Laptop Magazine) explains why:
http://mashable.com/2013/03/05/google-plus-boost-business/

·
Registered
816 Posts
I keep seeing these articles about how quickly Google+ is growing, and how important it is, but after those manic first few weeks, I've not seen anyone who's using or talking about it, and if I go back over there, it's a graveyard. I suspect almost all of these "ten million new users a month" sign up, see that there's nothing going on, and never return. The '+' sharing function on links is a great idea in theory, but again, I never see it used. 18 months from now, they'll probably shut it down altogether, like Wave or Reader.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Millard said:
I keep seeing these articles about how quickly Google+ is growing, and how important it is, but after those manic first few weeks, I've not seen anyone who's using or talking about it, and if I go back over there, it's a graveyard. I suspect almost all of these "ten million new users a month" sign up, see that there's nothing going on, and never return. The '+' sharing function on links is a great idea in theory, but again, I never see it used. 18 months from now, they'll probably shut it down altogether, like Wave or Reader.
Not talking about your Google+ page. The article is talking about the Google+ button you can put on your webpage and articles, and how Google search is kicking up in their search page rankings people who are using them.

However, I do belong to 5? writers groups over there, but I mainlyuse it to connect with readers. I would suggest you haven't figured out how to use it to communicate if you're finding it's dead. Find some groups and communities to join. There are several active communities and groups over there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
LisaGraceBooks said:
Not talking about your Google+ page. The article is talking about the Google+ button you can put on your webpage and articles, and how Google search is kicking up in their search page rankings people who are using them.
All part of the same thing. Most websites have that share thing on the bottom of articles, right? And generally they have a little number next to them, to indicate how many times they've been clicked. I've noticed that the Twitter shares and Facebook likes are usually in the hundreds/low thousands, but the + button will have a couple at best. My (or anyone's) Google+ page is a good indication of how little effect the + button has. In the first few weeks, there was a ton of shares on the timeline, but most people don't seem to be using it at all.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have a google plus button (or had one) and in the year it was there, I had 2 actual people use it.  Graveyard is right.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
glutton said:
Yeah, nobody actually likes Google+.
Hey, I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But you have to go were the readers are or you end up fracturing yourself into too many pieces and it dilutes your awesomesauce.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Millard said:
All part of the same thing. Most websites have that share thing on the bottom of articles, right? And generally they have a little number next to them, to indicate how many times they've been clicked. I've noticed that the Twitter shares and Facebook likes are usually in the hundreds/low thousands, but the + button will have a couple at best. My (or anyone's) Google+ page is a good indication of how little effect the + button has. In the first few weeks, there was a ton of shares on the timeline, but most people don't seem to be using it at all.
Google is using it to rank you in its searches. If you start using it more, you will appear higher in Google searches.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I keep going back to my G+ account and trying to do things. When they started groups, I joined several, and once again, after an initial flurry, it all died down.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work as well. I actually have double the followers/connections on G+ that I do Facebook (and I have over 1K on FB), but somehow the interface doesn't allow us to "connect" well. I recognize the benefit to using it, but I just can't make myself!

As much as we may *say* we hate Facebook for how it organizes and prioritizes our Feed for us, it does seem to work.

Other than paying $1 to send a non-friend a private FB message. I got that yesterday and about flipped my lid. But sure enough, the street team members I wrote without paying never responded (got filtered to "other"). I am seriously not going to pay to send a message, ever.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ellecasey said:
Hey, I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But you have to go were the readers are or you end up fracturing yourself into too many pieces and it dilutes your awesomesauce.
When you go to Goodreads or wherever you are interacting with your customers, hit the +1 button. It's ranking you higher in Google searches when you do that.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's really the thing about G+ for now. Even if it's a graveyard, how much does it hurt to hit a +1 every so often? Perhaps if no one is using it, even a relatively little bit of activity might have an impact on search results.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
One of the first things I do on my book blog is click the G+ button on every article because it's easy.  I won't say that little G+ button is running away with it, but I know I get more people clicking the G+ button than I do the share on Facebook.  G+ is very easy and, just FYI, most of the book blogging community use it because most of them are still using Blogger accounts, because most of them have significant Google Friend Connect followers.

So...there you go.  Use or don't, but it's definitely not dead, and if you think it is, you're just not in the community that finds it useful.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
ellecasey said:
+1 ;D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Google+ is here, and it's not going away. It's going to get bigger over time. Thinking of Google+ as an alternative to Facebook is the wrong way to look at it. The thing about Google+ is that everyone who uses any Google service (Gmail, YouTube, Chrome, etc.) already has a Google+ account whether they use it or not. But they will end up using it. Google is forcing more and more of its userbase into Google+, as evidenced by the shutdown of Google Reader, which is intended to force more use of Google+, whether they admit it or not. Polls already show that Google+ has more active users than Twitter and Facebook combined, and it's growing.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121739-Google-Is-More-Popular-Than-You-Think

Google+ is going to be the new hub of the Internet, so start using it now.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Like others here, I have only so much time to divide amongst so many social media outlets while also trying to find time to live life and, oh yes, write too. Until Google+ expands to the point that I really need to be active there (I do have a G+ page), I'm refraining.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Shhhh, don't tell anyone. Everyone wants to dismiss it because they think it's another Facebook. It's not. Never was intended to be. It's the future of search. Social triggers.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
jimkukral said:
Shhhh, don't tell anyone. Everyone wants to dismiss it because they think it's another Facebook. It's not. Never was intended to be. It's the future of search. Social triggers.
Yeah, right?

You guys, LISTEN...this is not a social network. It's a BUTTON. You click it. That's it.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Graveyard?
I have 3.7k people in my circles. Sometimes the post wiz by so fast that I can't even keep up!

Not too many pics of cats and people's dinner, either.  There are some amazing groups and communities, much better ways of reaching the groups you've organized whatever way you want, there are ways to hangout live and ways to share STUFF!

And you're not restricted to a few characters as on twitter. People can share entire blog posts if they wish.

I poked around earlier and, lo and behold, a totally awesome article about Graphene which I'm using in my new book. I passed that article along to my "science" and "nerds" groups. These are the same people who'll get a note about the new release when it comes out.

I'm getting much more out of this than Twitter or Facebook.
Plus it's an easy way to access your gmail, Google drive, utube and other features.

Kind of spiffy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quiss said:
Graveyard?
I have 3.7k people in my circles. Sometimes the post wiz by so fast that I can't even keep up!

Not too many pics of cats and people's dinner, either. There are some amazing groups and communities, much better ways of reaching the groups you've organized whatever way you want, there are ways to hangout live and ways to share STUFF!

And you're not restricted to a few characters as on twitter. People can share entire blog posts if they wish.

I poked around earlier and, lo and behold, a totally awesome article about Graphene which I'm using in my new book. I passed that article along to my "science" and "nerds" groups. These are the same people who'll get a note about the new release when it comes out.

I'm getting much more out of this than Twitter or Facebook.
Plus it's an easy way to access your gmail, Google drive, utube and other features.

Kind of spiffy.
Links, please! I want to be in those circles.

As far as the other people who say Google+ is a graveyard, Google+ is what you make of it. For me, Facebook is a graveyard. I don't have that many people friended and when I tried to friend other people, I got flagged for friending people I didn't know. I know if I put the time and energy into it, I could reap benefits, but that's my point. I poked my head into Facebook, decided it sucked, and left. The same thing will happen if you do that to Google+. I decided to focus on Google+, and I like it. When I post to my blog, it automatically posts to Google+ without any additional code. I especially like the fact that I can filter who sees my personal information and posts. Just because I like an author doesn't mean I want them to know my birthdate and the state that I live in.

Plus, back on topic, I think improving your Google search ranking is way more beneficial in the long run, because that's how a lot of your readers will find you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Google Plus is a huge social network and if your experience is that it is a graveyard, then something's not functioning optimally on your end.

If you friend me there, and send me a message, I will share circles of people to follow with you (which is what I have done for Quiss (if I remember correctly) and others here at KB) and your G+ experience will improve. I will send you a circle I have curated called Literary (you can rename it to whatever you want). It is filled with writers, editors, publishing industry people, etc... I can say with absolute certainty that Google Plus has done more for my writing career (long-term view) than any other site on the internet (except maybe KB) by networking with certain people I never would have met otherwise, which has resulted in paid formatting gigs, inclusion in promo opportunities, etc... .

Next, you need to manually open up the pipeline to get more posts in your stream. It is restricted by default. There is a widget on the top right.

You are limited to following 5000 people. The number of people who can follow you is unlimited. What you want is engagement, so I recommend you only follow people who engage, and uncircle people who don't.

Also, I can send you invites to writing communities.

Remember also that you are not seeing Limited posts. People have to put you into specific circles or all you will see is their public posts. How to get into circles? Engage and make sure your interests are clear in your profile so tht people know what circles to put you in.

I recommend you do not spam ads for your books (like every day) because you might get uncircled by the annoyed, but mentioning your books occasionally might result in interest (I see it all the time). Google Plus is a great way to connect with readers.

Google Plus is what you make of it. It's a tool, like anything else. You can find me here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/108155601641892969907/about. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts