Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be a voracious reader when I was younger, going through 5-6 books in a week easy.  Reading on a 5th grade level in 2nd grade, reading Gone With the Wind in seventh grade, reading, reading, reading.  As I got older my reading slowed down.  Why?  Well if I read, I need a nice thick meaty book, one that won't take me just a day to read.  And as you might guess thick meaty books like this, are not a pleasure to drag from here to there to everywhere.  Too big to fit in my purse, too much hassle to carry it separately.  Then even if I did carry these books around with me, what if I finished one?  That's it, no more book to read.  I am a very fast reader, so this is a real concern for me.  So the only time I would read my books was before bed, and of course I fell asleep reading them!  So the end result was that I don't read nearly as much as I used to.  In the last 5-6 years, I have pretty much only read the Outlander series, which makes me very sad, because I love reading!

And in walks the wonderful Kindle.  Problem solved!  I can have several meaty books in one small package that fits right in my purse.  I am in love.  I haven't even had my Kindle for a full week yet and I have already finished 2 books, and am now working on Pride and Prejudice, and the best part is I know I have 3-4 more lined up once I finish (plus a whole store at my fingertips if need be!)

Anyway I am sure we all have our reasons for loving the Kindle, but this is my reason!  Thanks for letting me share!

Rachel

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
And thank you for sharing, Athenagwis.  Nice story.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Only 3-4 more books lined up? You'd better hurry over to the book corner you'll be up to 20 pages of books before you know it!!

Welcome to the boards. I'm glad you love your k2.

I love being able to have so many book choices at my fingertips and not feel like I have a bowling ball in my purse. Although my mom still thinks my purse has a bowling ball in it with the kindle, but that's because she hasn't lugged around the books I have. Oh and the 'having it no matter where you go' is sooo wonderful!  I read while waiting in drive through lines and shopping lines!!

theresam

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Thanks to Kindle and Kindleboards, I have a library at my fingertips all the time!  Congratulations on your Kindle2 and welcome to the wonderful world of Kindle, Rachel!

Betsy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too love the Kindle.  Same as you plus I love the ease of loading audio books on it.  I can now have the best of both worlds, audio and written word.  It is the best thing ever.  I just love it. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Rachel - thanks for sharing your story with us.  I am tickled that you have found the kindle to be your best bud, along with the rest of us.  There are so many inexpensive and low cost books listed in the Book Korner you should be happy for a long time  ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome and wow, 5 to 6 books per week!!  :eek:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story.  It seems so easy to get lost in all the right accessories and neglect the main reason for having a Kindle -- Reading!  I still love my accessories, but love my books more.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Tippy said:
Thank you for sharing your story. It seems so easy to get lost in all the right accessories and neglect the main reason for having a Kindle -- Reading! I still love my accessories, but love my books more.
Here, here! And yes, it is so much nicer to tote & read on the Kiindle when you are undertaking something like A Breath of Snow & Ashes, plus a few more!

Welcome Rachel. This is a great group of folks to hang out with.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. I think that you have just described how a lot of us feel about our Kindle. I absolutely love being able to carry all my books in one little gadget. What a pleasure. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Athenagwis said:
I used to be a voracious reader when I was younger, going through 5-6 books in a week easy. Reading on a 5th grade level in 2nd grade, reading Gone With the Wind in seventh grade, reading, reading, reading. As I got older my reading slowed down. Why? Well if I read, I need Rachel
I first read Gone With the Wind in 7th grade as well. Welcome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As the book list fills page after page the Kindle becomes more and more valuable and personal to me. 

My collection of music CDs numbers in the several hundreds and I have always thought that the collective 'something' of that music was a reflection of my personality.  Then along came the iPod and my identity was captured on a device.  Now the Kindle. 

If there were some sort of personality algorithm that could be applied to our Kindle and iPod contents it would be interesting, indeed.  I wonder if the contents thereon reveal things that nobody knows about us.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Perhaps things we wouldn't want others to know, or things about ourselves we would rather not know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts