Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason why I did not purchase K2 was simple. I invested over $400 in my kindle original... and I have had it for only 3 months. I have a beautiful case, extra battery, memory card, you name it ... most of the extra accessories for it.... so..... for me purchasing another kindle at this moment would be a little bit carless. I rather purchase $300 worth of books on my kindle original and have that instead of buying another kindle...
Right now i will keep my beloved 'POOKY" (KINDLE) and wait for K3 to arrive... i am looking for backlight, maybe some color and voice as k2 has. Other than that i love my little pooky for next couple years.... anyway....

so out of curiosity.... why did you not buy k2?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I really, really like having the SD card. I like the slightly thicker size and the large buttons. They really work for me. And my kindle is not even a year old yet. I am trying hard to walk my talk about not letting consumerism rule my life. Just because K2 is young and sexy is no reason to ditch my klassic. Although as Steven9 would say...'the pull, oh the pull.' I'm very interested in hearing how KB members who receive the K2 like it though. Especially how it feels using the buttons that press inward rather than outward. I'm not sure I could get used to that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've only had my K since Jan.  No need to purchase a new one.  Perhaps K3.

But....................I am soooooo excited for all who have  waited for so long, I almost feel like I'm getting a new one just from all the excitement! 

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also a new user of K1 & have no complaints, so no need for an upgrade for me. However, I'll certainly keep my eyes/ears open to consider improvements for the K3/4...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Howdy!  I like the design of the K2, but I got my k1 in september, and I really like it.  Lola accomplishes her task, which is keeping me up to my ears in new books, and books I mean to read.  I like the SD card, I like the scroll wheel, I even like the weird silver bar up the side.  I didn't upgrade, b/c the new version can't meet my needs for less.  lol, I still have my original ipod nano for the same reason.  I like to adopt early, and then keep the device until I wear it slap out.
And, I now have a LOT invested in covers and skins and lights and shoes and purses and...
but I digress.
However, I can't wait to see all the positive reviews on the new kindles, and I am very excited for people who are getting their very first kindle.  (I like to watch people open Christmas presents I bought for the same reason.)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
While I liked K2 thinness, I didn't like the fact that is was longer than K1. Also it didn't have enough new features to warrant spending the money. If it had folders I would have bought it. Text to speech is cool, but I will never use it.

Steve

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
There weren't any improvements made that I needed to have right now. The only real thing I'm looking for is some sort of better organization. I do like the wedge shape of it since I do have gripping problems at times when my hands hurt. My Oberon cover takes care of that as well but if I chose to read the Kindle nekkid, then it would be easier for me to hold.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I just got my K1 in December so it hasn't been that long yet. I think had I gotten it a year earlier, I might have jumped on the K2 right away. Now I am just sitting back and waiting for the reviews to trickle in. Then I decide if I want to take the plunge.
I earned Amazon gift cards to buy the first Kindle and I am working on doing that for K2. Half way there already.

B

·
0 Posts
I see no need to replace a device that has given me no problems and functions exactly the way I need it to. It may not be the sexiest device on the block, but it does its job very well. Once I get a SD card for it, I think it will be perfect.

I do not ever go for the latest and greatest of devices. I have only owned 3 computers since I first bought one in 1998. Each time I upgraded it was because the current one had not kept up with the functions I needed, either speed or storage wise. My current PC is a Dell I bought in 2003. I do not foresee replacing it any time soon unless it has a major breakdown.

I feel the same way about my Kindle. As long as it continues to do its job, it is not going anywhere.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I think "all of the above" are reasons I wanted to keep K1 and let DH order the "upgraded" K2 instead.  We were both excited by the Text to Speech feature, but after reading the announcement that it is "experimental", it will be interesting to see if he falls in love with K2 like I have the original.  It is possible he will want to send it back and find an original Kindle.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
but if I chose to read the Kindle nekkid
Lucky for you Bacardi Jim's not out prowling around this early. rofl.

J/k...I see what you're saying. But the phrasing is making my hands itch as a former copy editor.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm a hard-core geek, and generally jump on new technology. Despite that, I waited for over a year before buying a Kindle, just got my K1 a few days ago - I waited to see if Kindle would have "staying power," and if Amazon could entice top-selling authors and publishers to sell Kindle versions, at a reasonable price.

I was going to buy a Kindle before Christmas, and then Amazon was sold out for "6-8 weeks," so I waited to see what K2 was going to be all about. After K2 was announced, I LOVED the thinness, but wasn't wild about the larger height and width; I like the improvement of the screen, and the text-to-speech (which I'd never use), and the button placement seemed to correct some complaints about accidental page-turning. All of this seemed only "evolutionary," though, NOT revolutionary, as the K1 was.

The deal-breaker for me was 2-fold:
1. No SD cards! Increasing from 256MB to 2GB still isn't that much memory, especially when flash memory is dirt cheap, and I didn't want to dead-end myself with such a small amount of storage, especially when I also have mp3s taking up memory, as well. I decided to buy a new/sealed K1 on eBay, QUICKLY, before they're sold out (I like new, not used!), and then bought another for the fetching Mrs. r0b0d0c. I bought several cheap 4 and 8GB SD cards, to store different genres of books, and I'm set! Sure you can transfer files to/from K2 via your computer when you run out of room, but the whole POINT of Kindle was to not have to use it with a computer!
2. No replaceable battery! When we're camping/biking etc. without electricity, I'll sometimes need more than 1 battery's worth of operation. I also keep a spare battery or 2, in case they die - I'm not willing to lose use of my Kindle to have it sent in to Amazon for a simple battery replacement; I should be able to do this simple task myself! (Of course, Amazon has been backordered on these batteries for awhile, so I have 4 of them coming from eBay for about $13 each - same specs as the OEM battery, we'll see how well they work....)

I'm sure I'll upgrade to a future version of Kindle at some time, but for now, K1 is exactly what I want, and I couldn't be happier with it!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Lucky for you Bacardi Jim's not out prowling around this early. rofl.

J/k...I see what you're saying. But the phrasing is making my hands itch as a former copy editor.
LOL, I'm sure BJ will catch up on this one later :p

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am more than happy with my Klassic Kindle - the changes to Kindle 2 simply weren't enough to make it worthwhile for me to upgrade, especially since they lengthened it (making it so the K1 covers will not work).

And I actually like the wedge shape of K1 better... gives it more personality. Personally, and i hope not to offend anyone with this, but I think the K2 looks like an overgrown Ipod in shape... and i am tired of so many thinking all devices need to have that "look".

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really like my Kindle and have few, if any, complaints.  I, as well, don't have a value-added reason for the purchase of K2 and would rather spend my limited resources on more books.  This isn't to say that the purchase of K2 wasn't tempting :p...but in the end, I am very happy with my decision to keep my Klassic until I wear the mess out of it (or until DH decides he needs one and then I can upgrade3)!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oh yeah...and then their are all the accessories that I have for my Klassic that I would need to re-purchase... No, don't take away my Oberon, please!!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I was in the group of people who ordered the K1 and were updated to the K2. Another KindleBoard member was selling their K1 to purchase A K2 and I happily bought it. I received the Kindle I originally wanted in a DecalGirl skin,with  an Oberon cover, for less money than the new K2 would have cost. It has the SD card slot and replaceable battery and performs flawlessly as a reader. When it quits working, I will get a newer version.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello There,

I'm new here.  :)

I got the Kindle Klassic January 08 and have been very happy with it.  I thought about getting the new one but the modifications that were made not enough for me to buy at this time  maybe Kindle 3 or 4. 

In the meantime I will stick with the Klassic  ;D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I ordered a K2 only because I'm an electronics/technology freak.  I almost kept my K1, because as many of you have stated, the upgrades really aren't that significant.  And even though the slim K2 is supposed to be sexy, I think I will miss the chunkiness of the K1.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have only had my K1 since October, and I also have a Sony PRS-505. I am a gadget freak and a early adopter, but I just can't quite justify it now.
There are not quite enough changes for me to take the plunge. I like the thinness of the K2, but not the additional length. The voice thing I would never use, and I would be interested in seeing how many people actually do.
Also from what I have read, the difference in contrast is negligible for just text. I read books, not pictures. I guess it just depends on your needs.
I AM thrilled for everyone that is getting a new one, either their first K1 or the K2. The enthusiasm is fabulous to witness.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts