Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about several threads I've read here over the last months concerning jealousy of other authors. Anyway, it made me realize something. It's better for all of us if other indie authors sells tons and tons of books. The way I see it (and I'll put this in relation to epic fantasy, as that's my genre), I hope BV Larson and David Dalglish and all those other writers sell a zillion books for a long time, because that means there are a lot of readers out there. Readers buying books. Lots and lots of them. And the great thing about readers is that they don't just read one book. They read another, and then another, and then another, and they keep on reading. That means the guy buying a Larson or Dalglish book today might very well buy one of mine or yours somewhere down the line.

I guess what I'm saying is that the book market really isn't a finite pie. It's a pie that keeps on regenerating. And that's a really encouraging thing.

So, let's hear it for all those doing well. May they keep on doing well for a long, long time. And may all of us write excellent books.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I think the pie is expanding--and will for a while--especially as there are so many different reading devices that so many people are just beginning to discover.  Truly, the more the merrier!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sarah Woodbury said:
I think the pie is expanding--and will for a while--especially as there are so many different reading devices that so many people are just beginning to discover. Truly, the more the merrier!
There's not a lot of evidence that book sales revenue is expanding in a dramatic fashion. What we're seeing is a shift in how the revenue is generated. It's moving from paper to ebook. That opens the doors to the likes of us.

We still have gatekeepers, though. They can start to shut the doors at any time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with you. I definitely don't understand the competition.

Just because I read J.R. Ward, doesn't mean that I won't read Sherrilyn Kenyon and Karen Moning, writers of the same genre. In fact, BECAUSE I read J.R. Ward, I intentionally seek out other authors of the same genre to read. Why try to damage someone else's book sales with bad reviews and bad mouthing, when you really need to be helping each other out? You show up in that person's "And Customers Also Bought..." list, so really, another writer's sale could be your sale as well. Definitely agree.

There are millions of authors out there. Why spend so much time and energy trying to take other people down, when you should be focusing on a way to make your next book bigger and better?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The more people get in the habit of reading ebooks, the hungrier they'll be for more ebooks. We really aren't competitors, we're all on the same team.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Even if the gate keepers try to shut the gates, it will too late. Kind of like trying to put music file-sharing back in the bottle after the genie got out. Tons of folks are downloading e-books now..and we've just started.

So if you build a fan-base now, those fans will still come looking for you regardless. I truly believe that 'scarcity thinking' is part of an old model of business thats dying. It certainly doesn't apply to digital goods, which can be cheaply produced and distributed world wide with one button push. There's plenty of room for all of us.  ;D

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
We're not in competition with each other, we're in competition with The Simpsons, and Beyonce, and whatever the latest Hollywood Rom Com is.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Although I write books, I grew up never buying them because they were too expensive.  Even now, I'm unlikely to slap down $9.99 for a new book, even if I like the author.  Library for me.  However, I have bought dozens of indie books over the last 6 months, partly in support of indie books, but partly because I get hooked at that 99 cent or 2.99 price.  It means that for one blockbuster I can buy 3-10 books.  How cool is that?  Hours of entertainment :)

But I still think the pie is expanding because if prices are low, then other people (like me) who might not normally be buying books are buying the now for their ereaders or phones, or people who buy the 9.99 title might also drop 2.99 on mine because it doesn't feel like that much more, so why not?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I can't agree more - when people find that indie books can be good,  it helps us all. Long may the knock-on effect dribble down.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Sarah Woodbury said:
Although I write books, I grew up never buying them because they were too expensive. Even now, I'm unlikely to slap down $9.99 for a new book, even if I like the author. Library for me. However, I have bought dozens of indie books over the last 6 months, partly in support of indie books, but partly because I get hooked at that 99 cent or 2.99 price. It means that for one blockbuster I can buy 3-10 books. How cool is that? Hours of entertainment :)

But I still think the pie is expanding because if prices are low, then other people (like me) who might not normally be buying books are buying the now for their ereaders or phones, or people who buy the 9.99 title might also drop 2.99 on mine because it doesn't feel like that much more, so why not?
This. I was the same way. I bought books maybe once a year, and that was only when someone gave me money for a birthday or something. Then I bought the Kindle in September, and while I bought a great deal of $5.99-$14.99 books in the first few months, I also grabbed a good number of free, $0.99, $1.99, and $2.99 books. Now, the later group is what I get more often than not.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
NoahMullette-Gillman said:
The more people get in the habit of reading ebooks, the hungrier they'll be for more ebooks. We really aren't competitors, we're all on the same team.
dgaughran said:
We're not in competition with each other, we're in competition with The Simpsons, and Beyonce, and whatever the latest Hollywood Rom Com is.
I put these two together because they are two pieces of a bigger picture: the more options people have in reading, the easier it is to find what they want, the more they will choose reading over other activities.

More good books means more readers.

Camille

G

·
I do agree with Chris's sentiment here that we should all be working together. But to add a nuance, I think something of a competitive spirit is healthy to drive us to do our best.

When it comes to my writing, you can count on me bringing my A game. Every book is going to be better than the last and I'm going to push myself every day. <-- Seeing people express that kind of attitude gets me fired up and inspires me to do my best.

·
Registered
982 Posts
foreverjuly said:
I do agree with Chris's sentiment here that we should all be working together. But to add a nuance, I think something of a competitive spirit is healthy to drive us to do our best.

When it comes to my writing, you can count on me bringing my A game. Every book is going to be better than the last and I'm going to push myself every day. <-- Seeing people express that kind of attitude gets me fired up and inspires me to do my best.
Agreed completely.

Sure, we're not competing in regards to whose book is going to be bought, but that doesn't mean that we're not still competing. I mean, seriously, who doesn't want to be considered the best in the genre or sub-genre?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'll admit to being jealous of their success - but not of the author's themselves.  Good on them I say, and hope that one day I too can reach those heady heights.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's alright to be jealous, you just need to channel that jealousy productively not destructively. Use the power of that jealousy to chase your own success not try to damper someone else's. I have personally found that, by and large, the indie community is tremendously supportive. We all recognize that this is a changing of the guard moment, and whilst one or two folks alone might be overwhelmed by a tradpub fight back, with each of us supporting each other in whatever way we can, we'll ensure that this burgeoning ebook market sweeps us along with its success.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts