Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife found the awful creature below IN OUR HOUSE this morning. What makes it even worse is that she was bitten by something a couple of weeks ago that I suspected was one of these all along. She ended up having to go to the doctor because it was swelling and hurt so bad, and took a round of antibiotics. Thankfully, she didn't rot away.

Can anyone tell how I feel about spiders? Especially these, and black widows, which are at plague levels outside our house.

Did I mention THIS THING WAS IN OUR HOUSE?

(if you don't know what it is, let's just say it's named for its color and reclusive nature)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Where do you live so I know where not to move to?

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
You're saying you have multiple brown recluses and black widows in your house?

You really need to call an exterminator.  Now.  No joke.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Eaaaguuuhh! I like spiders a lot, but not THOSE! Especially in your house!? I don't blame you for never sleeping again. :eek:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swolf said:

You really need to call an exterminator. Now. No joke.
Believe me, if I thought I even had one black widow in the house, I'd probably put it on the market. :)

We've ordered 60 glue traps already, to see how bad the problem is.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Fredster said:
Believe me, if I thought I even had one black widow in the house, I'd probably put it on the market. :)
Oh, I thought you said you did have black widows in your house:

Fredster said:
Especially these, and black widows, which are at plague levels outside our house.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Umm - eeew!!
I love sticky traps. They work well for bugs. Buy a few and put them under your bed or in your closets, etc. My little dog doesn't crawl under our bed. I guess you'd have to be careful if you have cats.

YUCK!!

Jenna

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
A number of summers ago I got bit on the top of my foot by what I would guess was a spider.  Must have been in my shoe.  Didn't feel it.  Never hurt or itched.  But red spot kept getting bigger and bigger, so it was infected.  After a couple weeks, went to a nurse practitioner.  Put me on Augmentin for a few weeks.  That took care of it. 

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JennaAnderson said:
I guess you'd have to be careful if you have cats.
There is a great deal of unintentional humor in your comment. :)

We're fosters for a no-kill cat shelter, and currently have ten of theirs, plus even more of our own.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Fredster said:
There is a great deal of unintentional humor in your comment. :)
People laugh at me often and I have no idea why. ;)

But seriously - eeew. I hate spiders.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I can deal with snakes - but spiders - not so much. 

Although I don't scream and run - I do get the major creepy crawlies when seeing something like this and I would bomb the house with foggers the second I found something that nasty inside. 

I certainly wouldn't sleep until I knew every creeping thing was dead. 

I feel for you. 

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Geoffrey said:
Not to ick you out too much, but according to Wikipedia, this is the general area you can find them:

The only problem with that map is I live waaay out on the eastern end of LI (NY) and we have black widows and brown recluse here too...

·
Registered
776 Posts
rho said:
The only problem with that map is I live waaay out on the eastern end of LI (NY) and we have black widows and brown recluse here too...
... my daughter was bitten by one in California and I am today heading out to spray a condo we rent because the tennent saw a black widow in the garage. They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have launched my opening salvo, a round of permethrin around the baseboards upstairs, and in the now-scary closets. It's amazing how finding one little recluse can completely change your outlook toward dark spaces filled with hanging clothes, boxes, and folded linens.

Makes me start to regret living in an old (81 years) house with wooden walls, floors, and ceilings. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
We have quite a few Giant House Spiders (Tegenaria duellica) around our house, and occasionally they get inside the house. I understand if they bite you, it hurts like mad because their fangs are so large. But the bug guy tells me that having a healthy population of House Spiders around will actually deter the Hobos (T. agrestis) from moving in, since they are both territorial, and use the same resources.

I still don't like them. They're HUGE.

·
Registered
626 Posts
swolf said:

You really need to call an exterminator. Now. No joke.
I second this. Get an exterminator in there. We are in south Florida, home of the creepy crawlies, once a month we get a visit from our local creepy crawler killer. Life is a lot more peaceful now.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
You need to get exterminator. Some people are more allergic than others. Doc should take care. Then sleep well or get out of that area if you can. These are the only choices I can think of. All the best.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts