Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the magnet book plan (make a book perma-free and in the front and backmatter of that book offer another free book for an email signup). I started on October 6, 2016 and the first couple of days had about 150 downloads of the free book and have been averaging 50 downloads since. I haven't advertised so I'm not surprised at the low downloads but I am surprised that I don't have a single email signup for the second free book offer.

I've downloaded the permafree book and run the signup link and gotten the second free book (it's set up through Book Funnel), so I know it works but I thought I would have at least a few signups by now.

Besides the fact that my books might be terrible, is there anywhere you can see that I'm going wrong. Thanks.

(You can get to the perma-free book on Amazon by clicking on the cover of Man of God in my sig.)

G

·
Which book is the second one that's free?  One not released?

Looking at your books, Man of God is Christian Suspense while the other three are Christian Romance?  If so, may be the second book isn't enticing the suspense readers, if its one of the romances?

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Seriously?

How often do you read a book that you got for free on the same day you got it, and run over to sign up for the author's newsletter? Newsletter signups have to be earned. People don't just hand over their email address to get a free book. Well, some do, but not terribly many. They want to see social proof that the author can deliver, that the author has a lot of readers, that the mailing list is fun, that their friends are on it, too.

Getting started in mailing lists is HARD and it takes TIME. People are precious with their email addresses. You're asking them to hand over a piece of their privacy. You have to earn that. Especially in the beginning, growth will be very slow.

TL:DR: Patience, grasshopper.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Here's what I'd do if I were in your shoes...

Ditch the eepurl. Create a landing page on your site (e.g. GreggBell.net/offer). It'll look more professional. You'll also be able to track your metrics (visits and conversions).

On the landing page, ditch this: "Thank you for getting your free copy of The Find and joining my email signup!"

Replace it with this: "Enter your email address below to receive your free copy of The Find."

Ditch the bit about joining your ARC team.

That's the quick fixer-upper approach. If you have the time, create a short story or novella that occurs in the same world as Man of God. Offer it as an incentive rather than The Find.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think you've set it up OK.  The problem I have with your reader magnet is that the blurb isn't very compelling.  A cleaning lady finds a Rolex in a mobster's locker and tries to pawn it because she's got a sick kid and needs money.  Turns out the Rolex is fake, but the mobster is real, and he's onto her.

Well, how much effort is he going to expend to get back a fake Rolex?  It's worth, what, fifty bucks?

Now, if he felt she was disrespecting him, that's another story.  When he was done with her God wouldn't be able to find her, or her sick kid.

It just occurred to me that maybe the mobster thinks it's real.  Unlikely, but perhaps he just got it as payment for something and thinks it's worth a lot.  Whatever.  Just make his motivation clear.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What Patty said.

I have a slightly different setup in that I have a "signup in exchange for free book" offer at the back of one of my series trying to hook paying fans into my latest series.  The book offered is one of my 2 paid series starters, and all else aside I advertise them about equally, but the one offered at the end of that series does way better.  I'm guessing it's because some of those fans see the offer, but they would rather buy than give up their contact information. As Patty said, some people are precious with their email addresses.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Everything Patty said above. 

Do you know how many books an avid reader reads a month? I read a bunch of books each month, some are novellas and some are novels. I am waiting on my fav authors to release their next book, I am receiving free short stories or novellas from authors I am subscribed to and I am buying new books all the time. Usually books that have been recommended on social media, most of the time by the authors I already read.

If a new author makes their book perma free or temporarily free, I might download it if it looks good but that book goes to the back of my TBR list. Unfortunately it might get pushed back for longer if it doesn't have something really shiny and really special that makes me want to bring it forward to the top of my TBR list.
That's where a great hooky blurb is important, a really great sample that makes my fingers twitch so I have to buy the book like today and if the book delivers then I want to sign up to find out when the author is releasing their next book.

I rarely sign up for mailing lists and I don't subscribe to any promo sites right now.

I think you have to be patient and find other ways to attract readers. Some of the authors that interest me are posting interesting pictures, videos and gifs on social media or quotes from their books, that either make me laugh or blush.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Ditch the eepurl. Create a landing page on your site (e.g. GreggBell.net/offer). It'll look more professional. You'll also be able to track your metrics (visits and conversions).
I like the idea of keeping more data under our control. We never know when a site is going to go sideways, and we end up losing precious information.

Enter your email address below to receive your free copy of {snip}
I like the wording of this. Gonna steal it. :D

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
Seriously?

How often do you read a book that you got for free on the same day you got it, and run over to sign up for the author's newsletter? Newsletter signups have to be earned. People don't just hand over their email address to get a free book. Well, some do, but not terribly many. They want to see social proof that the author can deliver, that the author has a lot of readers, that the mailing list is fun, that their friends are on it, too.

Getting started in mailing lists is HARD and it takes TIME. People are precious with their email addresses. You're asking them to hand over a piece of their privacy. You have to earn that. Especially in the beginning, growth will be very slow.

TL:DR: Patience, grasshopper.
100% this.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

From what I've seen so far, signups don't happen very fast (if ever) like many people have seem to make it sound, and from what I keep reading on blogs and hearing over and over on podcasts.

So far, since doing my free promotion on 10/21, I've gotten over 10k downloads, and only recently got 1 email signup. I have links in the front and backs of all my books, as well as a landing page as soon as you go to my website. I've gotten sell-throughs of my other books as a result of the free promo, but just that one email sign up. When my BookBub promotion comes up in about a week, I'm hoping it will spark more signups, but I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Permafree isn't a strategy where you should expect a high rate of return.

Think about the sort of reader who browses the free lists. Even if they're interested enough to click the download button, that doesn't mean your book is going to get read. Even if it does, that doesn't mean they're going to like it enough to pursue further interaction. Even if they do, it doesn't mean they want another newsletter. They may just buy another one of your books instead.

Also, 50 downloads a day on a freebie is hardly on the 'low' side these days. You're doing well on that score. Give it time.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Marie Long said:
I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

From what I've seen so far, signups don't happen very fast (if ever) like many people have seem to make it sound, and from what I keep reading on blogs and hearing over and over on podcasts.

So far, since doing my free promotion on 10/21, I've gotten over 10k downloads, and only recently got 1 email signup. I have links in the front and backs of all my books, as well as a landing page as soon as you go to my website. I've gotten sell-throughs of my other books as a result of the free promo, but just that one email sign up. When my BookBub promotion comes up in about a week, I'm hoping it will spark more signups, but I'm doubtful.
When I get bookbubs, I gain a couple dozen subscribers/day for a few days. It used to be more (it seems harder to get sign-ups now), but BBs are the best method I've found for gaining engaged subscribers for my lists.

G

·
I'm finding organic sign-ups harder to get these days. I think people get tired of getting bombarded by newsletters.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
she-la-ti-da said:
I like the wording of this. Gonna steal it. :D
Steal away. Keep in mind, it's worth testing your call-to-action copy (and offer) to see what best resonates with your audience.

My current landing page is converting at 74%. (I use different copy than what I wrote above.)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Out_there said:
I'm finding organic sign-ups harder to get these days. I think people get tired of getting bombarded by newsletters.
Exactly.

Every blog you visit has some newsletter and some freebies to sign up for. Some ask you to sign up just to read a simple pdf document with tips or how they did this or that.
Then every author has a newsletter too.

It's too much sometimes. I have two email addresses and the one I use for everything else but work related stuff is full of junk mail and scam mail everyday. Then I get news and other things from the authors and blogs I have signed up to. To be honest it gets a bit annoying and time consuming to go through it all. So I am unsubscribing more and more. I don't sign up for most things anymore.
I can count the amount of authors I have signed up to. They are authors who I really enjoy reading.

Then there's youtube. You sign up for something that looked good and then the videos start coming in more frequently and are getting more pointless over time.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Gregg Bell said:
I'm doing the magnet book plan (make a book perma-free and in the front and backmatter of that book offer another free book for an email signup). I started on October 6, 2016 and the first couple of days had about 150 downloads of the free book and have been averaging 50 downloads since. I haven't advertised so I'm not surprised at the low downloads but I am surprised that I don't have a single email signup for the second free book offer.

I've downloaded the permafree book and run the signup link and gotten the second free book (it's set up through Book Funnel), so I know it works but I thought I would have at least a few signups by now.

Besides the fact that my books might be terrible, is there anywhere you can see that I'm going wrong. Thanks.

(You can get to the perma-free book on Amazon by clicking on the cover of Man of God in my sig.)
Do you have a landing page telling readers about the free book? Or at least lots of details of it on the sign up page? I took the advice of one of these marketing 'geniuses', made my most popular book permafree for six months. I had 50,000 downloads on Amazon, but only 45 sign ups. I think the fact that it is free means people don't read it straight away, if ever, and when they do, they might not get to the end. Nothing to do with you, just sometimes people stop at 'the end'.

Have you got your free offer in the front of your book as well as the back? I've done better having a link and sign up form on my Facebook author page.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I don't even read most purchased books in that short of time. Same with free books. A time later I don't know anymore what I paid for or didn't. Then they are all on even level in my growing tbr. What I pick to read is determined by my mood. But its not even been a month yet. I have books I paid for going back to 2008 I haven't read yet.  :eek:. Voracious book readers often have large tbr piles. Doesn't mean we don't read those books, just means we aren't going to read them next week. Maybe next year. The only books I read right away are books my super favorite authors I been waiting for, series stuff.

I think its this "right now" thinking so prevalent in life today that is making folks so impatient. All of us in anything we do.
I think you need to start thinking in quarters, or half years for long term strategies. We are bombarded with sales, free stuff, asks for signups. My mailbox got so out of hand I now funnel most emails to a folder that is just like a black hole. I unsubscribed from all the book newsletters selling books like bookbub and the gazillion others. I can't keep up reading all that stuff. I'd spend 2 hours a day just sifting through book offers. Then I look at my kindle account, my library holds and wishlists, my KU reading lists and go  :eek: :eek: :eek:. I am worried about if I live long enough to read all the books I have, signing up to yet another authors email list is pretty low on my priorities. I don't think I am alone in that. And of course they have to read the book first to even get to that email signup offer. Nobody is going to sign up until they at least read the book and know they will like this particular author.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Out_there said:
I'm finding organic sign-ups harder to get these days.
Not me.

Out_there said:
I think people get tired of getting bombarded by newsletters.
People are getting tired of crappy emails that fail to make their lives better (entertain, inform, etc.).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts