Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
im wondering what the advantage of owning a kindle pad instead of an ipad, where the ipad does more and i believe it costs the same?
any suggestions would be super, thanks all

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't have an iPad but I can tell you my daughter does.  Her complaint with using it for reading is eye strain and she's comparing ereaders now to decide which one to get. (as if there's really a choice  ::)  )  The Kindle's eInk is easy on the eys and so similar to reading from paper books.  I really think it's even better than paper.  Of course, convenience is another reason.  Easier to carry.  It also has a better battery life than an iPad.  I don't know any tablet that stays charged for almost two months.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I have both.  I read novels on the Kindle as the eink is easier on the eyes.  I do everything else on the ipad--net surfing, email, newspapers, reading pdf documents, taking notes in meetings etc.

That said, I've read a few library ebooks on my ipad and it wasn't that bad on my eyes.  So I think I could probably get by with just it if I had to.  Anyone who's a casual reader could probably get buy with a tablet as they probably don't need a dedicated reader.

My ideal gadget is a tablet with a screen that can switch between lcd and an eink like mode.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
ladyphoenix said:
hello all
im wondering what the advantage of owning a kindle pad instead of an ipad, where the ipad does more and i believe it costs the same?
any suggestions would be super, thanks all
Welcome to the Kindle Boards.

The Kindle is less expensive even if you buy the DX (large screen) version. The regular Kindle is as little as $114. The large format DX is $379, still much less than an iPad, which starts at $499.

The Kindle screen is easier on the eyes for most people, judging by posts that I read on various forums. It's also much lighter than an iPad. I have both, and do most reading on the Kindle. If I had to choose between them, I'd keep the Kindle, as I'm a prolific reader.

Many people don't like a one-gadget-does-everything approach, as they rarely do any single thing with excellence. The Kindle is a single-purpose device: it reads ebooks.

You might want to read over the forum rules on self-promotion. ;D

Mike

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
iPads (and tablets in general) are quite a bit more expensive than Kindles. They also produce a lot more heat than a Kindle, which seems to make it uncomfortable to read with for a long period.
As for me, I don't need the headaches of a tablet. I have a desktop iMac for all my computing/web needs. The Kindle is just an e-reader. That's all I want from it and it does a great job.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have both.  Even though I can read books on both, I really do not find them interchangeable.  I use the iPad for finding books but do all of my book reading on the Kindle.  It is easier to hold and easier on the eyes for long term use.  I love both equally.  

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have both but I'd choose Kindle over iPad if I had to make a choice:

1) Kindle battery life is so much longer
2) It costs much less than iPad
3) Kindle is much smaller and lighter and easier to carry.  

First and foremost, I wanted an eReader.  The iPad is cool and I like it for other things including the connectivity but that costs $15 - $25 per month.  I much prefer to read on Kindle.  

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kindle - Dedicated reading device. Great reading experience. Yes you can browse the web but it's not a usable experience IMHO. Usable outside in the sun. Less expensive. <$200

iPad - Multi-purpose device. Good for a lot of things, yes you can read but the experience is not as good as the Kindle. Not useable outside in the sun. Much more expensive. >$499

I don't see them as competing devices really. Just kind of overlapping their markets a little.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
The Kindle is a dedicated e-reader, therefore every aspect of its design and support is targeted to making the reading experience convenient and enjoyable.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Hands down .. CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Break the screen on your kindle? replacement at your home in 2 days for free, no real questions asked.

·
Registered
524 Posts
For me, this is like comparing a bass boat with a sports car or an encyclopedia with Sports Illustrated magazine or a remote control airplane with a computer.

One is a device for readers to use to read books.
The other is a lovely toy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't think the ipad has the screen resolution to be a great e-reader. I hear it is coming, but for me the kindle is a much better reading experience. Battery life is also a significant issue, the ipad wouldn't last more than a day or 2 of even moderate use while the kindle can go for a week or more of frequent use. Can't even compare cost, I could buy 3 kindles for the price of the cheapest ipad. It really is an apple to a potato comparison. The KDX is closer is size and price, but that really seems to be a niche device for folks needing detailed pdf support (which the smaller kindle can do, but the text is tiny), I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

If you want a more useful comparison, the nook color vs the kindle is at least fruit to fruit. The price is roughly double that of the kindle, but the form factor is more similar, and the nook color, with the os update, can run a lot of android apps giving it a decent multi-media capability. Do not know if it can run a kindle app though.

The ipad, due to it's high price, really can only be compared to a laptop PC, where it loses out in almost every category except whimsical gaming and couch curl up portability.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts