Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months my book was the best seller of its specific subject in kindle store, some times it reaches the TOP 100 of its category and fluctuates between the top 5, top 10 and top 20 of its sub-category.

The second best seller book on this specific subject is also mine... but I don't care because I publish it with publisher long time ago and I get pennies for it. This book don't reach the top 100 in its sub-category, is about 130 rank of the sub-category.

The third is who I'm competing against, it was about 300 In the sub-category rank. I track this everyday at every moment, today this book climbed the rank to position number 5 :(

I was ready to promote my book as the best seller of its specific subject and that happens.

How can this be possible? Did the publisher do some kind of hack ??

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You do realize your position is always in flux, right? Unless you are the only person in your cat?

If someone is moving more books than you are, they are moving up in the ranks. There is nothing hinky going on at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do realize your position is always in flux, right? Unless you are the only person in your cat?

If someone is moving more books than you are, they are moving up in the ranks. There is nothing hinky going on at all.
Sure, I know it.

The strange thing is that an "old" book that for months was 300 in the ranking, overnight has risen to position 5.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It doesn't take much to shift the dial. There are paid services that guarantee best-seller status in subcategory. People who know how to play the game and found ways to achieve the status by simply shifting a title into a subcategory which may be totally irrelevant.

In Canada,my novel went to number 2 in Literary Fiction for Young Adults...number 1 was a book of drawings and sketch art...related to a Japanese video game!

I don't think best seller means anything anymore to be honest and wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sure, I know it.

The strange thing is that an "old" book that for months was 300 in the ranking, overnight has risen to position 5.
There is nothing strange at all. Our books don't sell in a vacuum.

A book that has been stagnant for years can suddenly begin selling. A book that has been steadily selling for years can suddenly spike. And unless you are the publisher, you really don't know for what legit reason a book starts to move. Even we as publishers don't always know when our books suddenly gain traction. If we didn't crank the wheel ourselves, there is no way for us to know who did. All we see are the rewards of that crank.

·
Registered
12,226 Posts
Pay per click advertising, a paid feature in a newsletter, a mention in a Facebook group, a recommendation in another author's newsletter, any other sort of promotion done by the author. Lots of reasons for an older book to suddenly climb rank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts