Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(To fellow humorists.)
I accidentally came across a Jerry Seinfeld video on You Tube on How to Write a Joke. He says how it takes him hours to get just one line or a few bits right.

True: humor is extremely difficult to write. Unless you're only writing humor, and you begin to look at everything with those special lenses . . . And I'm not. My books are fiction and nonfiction with humor with them--except for two anthologies of humor, the remaining 10-14 titles are not mainly humor.

Why is why, when you see something like this for my parenting humor only edition of I WILL NOT GO THE F**K TO SLEEP, you realize that in return for all that effort, you get so little:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,412 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)

#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor > Parenting & Families
    #4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor > Parodies

#1 in your category, and yet, just #3412 Free? It surprised me.

Not that this is the only factor in why we write what we write, but worth thinking about.
(On the other hand, some of the funny lines in my novel "The Revised Kama Sutra" still make me laugh; I think we do it primarily because we enjoy it, and cannot stop the little child inside us.)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
People laugh at a lot of things that aren't humorous. Why do they even laugh at all? Perhaps there is a biological need for it, evolved over millions of years of natural selection. I suppose this might infer that those who do not laugh are destined to be bred out of existence. A further inference might be that those with the most offspring laugh the most. Or perhaps it's merely that they go crazy faster than others and their laughter is actually a manic cry for help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The most active humor categories are

fiction/humor
and
humor/parodies

although I have seen Game of Thrones in fiction/humor before, so I might be missing something. 

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
amishromanceauthor said:
The most active humor categories are

fiction/humor
and
humor/parodies

although I have seen Game of Thrones in fiction/humor before, so I might be missing something.
Thanks! I will investigate that. I do have books/shorts that might fit with the first category.

·
Registered
348 Posts
In between writing books under my own name, I write humorous books under several different pen names. Interesting to me that those books that Amazon has locked into the humor categories don't sell well at all, even when they are high in their category list. But one of my novels, which is a comedy first and everything else second, floats around in paranormal romance (Amazon put it there; I didn't) and is my second best selling title of all. I think you should consider giving it one category that isn't humor at all, and then trust that your cover, title, and description will ensure people know what they're buying.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've thought about doing a humorous science fiction short story for a while. I keep getting stuck with the serious fantasy that is suppose to be my first work (hey have to start sometime, poorly in my case), I have the story, plot and character development ready to go but the words are just not coming. Don't even ask about the sentences and paragraphs, pacing, structure and what the heck is this setting stuff I hear about.

But thrice (cool word) I've experimented with light humor everything seems to click. Granted they have just been improvised vignettes without serious thought to story or plot. Last week as part of a gaming character I put together an 800 word humorous background in 15 minutes with only a name and the idea of a really good half-orc. It all just seems to work easier at least for the first draft, don't know why as I'm not a funny person, just ask my wife.

The question I ask myself is it because of the impromptu approach or am I better suited for light-hearted writing? If I got off that lazy posterior muscle I think with and give it a try I might find out.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sbaum4853 said:
In between writing books under my own name, I write humorous books under several different pen names. Interesting to me that those books that Amazon has locked into the humor categories don't sell well at all, even when they are high in their category list. But one of my novels, which is a comedy first and everything else second, floats around in paranormal romance (Amazon put it there; I didn't) and is my second best selling title of all. I think you should consider giving it one category that isn't humor at all, and then trust that your cover, title, and description will ensure people know what they're buying.
I am curious. Why do you choose to write under SEVERAL different pen names? Don't you think having all your humor titles under one pen name will help?

As for me, I'm now wondering whether to accept the 310 downloads (total) that I have had with two separate free runs and to cash in (I was getting a few borrows before that), or whether to extend the free run for another day. I almost worry about running out of potential buyers in the rather smallish humor audience which has such a variety of books to choose from!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm actually surprised how many copies of GET THE F**K TO WORK I sell. It's a blatant parody of the original, has no illos and is only 500 words, has a 3-star rating, and yet...until my ENT promo of another book this week was my best seller. I have no expectations for the book, but if I ever finish the illos, I expect it might do very well. As for running out of readers, I suspect even if you've sold/given away 10,000 copies, you've not tapped very much of that readership. Out of hundreds of millions of English speakers globally, I have to believe 10,000 would only be a small fraction of the humor market. The issue is really exposure; you're competing with the Jerry Seinfelds of the literary world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts