1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Sorry, Nick, I'm too lazy to click to your blog.  Too many interesting discussions actually going on here.
;)  A little more of an excerpt here would have been nice.  The part sibel quoted sounds interesting, though...

Betsy

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Sorry, Nick, I'm too lazy to click to your blog. Too many interesting discussions actually going on here.
;) A little more of an excerpt here would have been nice. The part sibel quoted sounds interesting, though...

Betsy
Here you go:

"A great many people airing their (usually extremely partisan) opinions about this apparent war that's raging between the traditional publishing industry and the self published authors out there who are taking advantage of the services offered by the likes of Amazon, Smashwords and (provided you're in the bloody USA) Barnes & Noble.

I've stayed out of it and largely kept my opinions to myself - which as anyone who's read my 'Life…' books will know, is extremely difficult for me.

I've read a lot though. Countless posts on multiple forums, either defending the position of writers who submit their work traditionally to the big six, or defending those who chose to self publish on the Kindle, other e-readers and via services like Createspace and Lulu.

I think I've now read and digested enough to come to the following erudite, considered and well thought out conclusion:

The entire thing is horsesh*t."

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nick, you are my hero. :D My mother (my own mother, of all people!) was trying to tell me last night that "terrible 99c self-published authors will destroy the book industry." I should've just handed her this blog entry; it would've saved me a lot of time!

I couldn't agree more. It's a big sandbox, guys, and we can all play in it together.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Great post, Nick.  I agree completely. 

As I said last night in another thread, I envision a Utopian literary society where books are all just books, and authors are all just authors...and no one really cares whether it's indie or TP.  And, where most authors have a fair share of work posted by each means.  But in order for that to happen, we need to open our minds...and put down our weapons.  And, also tear down the walls of elitism and embrace change. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great post. I'm hoping the flamewars die down as everyone realizes there isnt anything to fight about. Write a good book, don't be a jerk.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Well said Nick.

The whole thing is a load of BS.

Somebody put it very well on another thread when they said it was like trying to stir up a war between self-employed people and those that do a 9-5. It ignores the whole swathe of people that have a regular job and a business on the side.

There is no "right" path. There is no "better" option. There is the right path and the better option for each individual book depending on the individual writer's circumstances and goals.

Self-publishing has opened a lot of doors for people, for sure. But the two paths are not mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
438 Posts
People are so ignorant of history. Before Kindle there were

- 'The Penny Dreadful'
- 'The Story Papers'
- 'Pulp Fiction'
- 'Dime Store Novel'
- 'Comic Books' (Action Comics, Romance Comics, Horror Comics...etc)

People have always sought sources of inexpensive entertainment. This type of literature is especially popular during economic hard times. Whenever it emerges or gains popularity, people freak out. "Horrors, the commoners are writing their own books..stop them!"

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Nick, in an effort to further this noble cause, I am endeavoring to be as terrible as possible!

Let's Fight the Good Fight!  :D

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
T.J. Dotson said:
People are so ignorant of history. Before Kindle there were

- 'The Penny Dreadful'
- 'The Story Papers'
- 'Pulp Fiction'
- 'Dime Store Novel'
- 'Comic Books' (Action Comics, Romance Comics, Horror Comics...etc)

People have always sought sources of inexpensive entertainment. This type of literature is especially popular during economic hard times. Whenever it emerges or gains popularity, people freak out. "Horrors, the commoners are writing their own books..stop them!"
And don't forget paperbacks.

When they first came out they were supposed to destroy the publishing industry and literary fiction too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I priced my eBooks at 99 cents simply because they weren't selling at higher prices.  I personally think that the eBook market is consumer-driven rather than publisher driven, giving the advantage to the author.  It's an open field; yes, big publishing will flounder (HUZZAH) and it will be sink-or-swim for each indie author, based on their ability as storytellers (and editors) and marketers.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Nick, I think it will definitely have an impact on the book industry.  I find it amazing that publishers charge the same price for a Kindle book as they do for a paperback.  That doesn't make sense at all since there are no publication cost with a Kindle book.  It should be about a third of what a paperback costs.

These 99 cents Kindle books will drive down the cost of the ones from traditional publishers since they will have no choice but to lower their prices if they are going to sell digital books.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't have any comments on the "us vs. them" mentality fostered by the article (SO TIRED), but can I just say how weird it is to see someone say they hate e-books?  I haven't heard that in YEARS. :)

Also, I wish I had a hundred friends to buy my books, like he assumes we all do. hahaha

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good post, but I think you should be prepared for more dust-ups to occur as more people learn about e-Books and self-publishing and weigh in with their thoughts. Some from both sides will get sick of it and be replaced by new writers who will join one cause or the other as they try to change the minds of their writer friends as to which is best. Those who've already made their decision have participated in some of these battles first hand, eventually people shrug and move on with their method of choice and stop participating as its all a big waste of energy.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts