Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it when I call Verizon tech support to let them know I can't connect to the internet that I get the voice recording telling me to visit www.verizon.com. ??? That drives me up the wall and my kids laugh at me when I start yelling at the recording telling them I'd be more than happy to visit their website if they'd just fix my internet!

I've had intermittent internet for the last week (it's my modem, I tried to tell them that on Friday, but did they listen to me? NOoooo...) I lost my cool with the tech today. He had me do exactly what the tech on Friday told me to do, and what the tech on Wednesday had me do..It didn't work on Wednesday, it didn't work on Friday and it didn't work today. I very forcibly suggested that he let me speak to his supervisor. Well, the supervisor admitted that it was most likely my modem (DUH!), but wanted to run another line test and send a tech out to look at my line (again), so it will be another 24-48 hours before they'll even send me one..So I might have decent coverage again by oh, Friday (hopefully)

Don't they understand that I sold my Kindle and need my Kindleboards fix?? Reading/posting from my cell phone just isn't the same.

I'd switch providers, but sadly they're the only thing available in my area unless I get satellite internet.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I had a similar problem with Comcast.  Internet and computer worked fine before I hooked up to Comcast service, and then after, problems.  I would call and be told the same thing over and over again.  And the same recording, to go to the website.  Infuriating. 

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you had such trouble, the one time I had to get them out here they came in an hour( tech was in the area) and replaced my set top box in five minutes.

But asking you to visit the web site when you reported your internet out is just ridiculous, the rep must be reading a script and doesn't know enough to skip the question or simply answer it himself automatically.  Customer service is dead in America.(except amazon)

that was close, wouldn't want them to delay my delivery out of spite.(not that they would).

man this won't end.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I was reading this out loud to my husband and he is still talking. He had the same thing happen Monday and when he called to tell them that our internet was out the tech told him to check the website to see if there was an outage. Needless to say he wasn't very confident that they would find the problem. He works at home and needs the internet. They had made our account inactive, no one knows why and all they had to do was reactivate the account.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Luvmy4brats: I understand your plight. Welcome to my world: At work I am on the phone arguing insurance claims for clients all day long...all accidents are never anyone's fault. Sometimes it takes over an hour to get the claim reported and they still can't generate a claim number for followup...forget trying to set up the appraisal appointment. Please press one, press two, please wait while we connect your call. He said, she said.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Well y'all - I really feel sorry for you - I honestly do - but my problem is when I report something it is usually in SPANISH and my Spanish does not work on the phone  ::) and my DH does not help at all and he is fluent, but does not understand technical words, like broken, does not work, internet, modem (what's that?) so he is no use if he is not working.  ;D  Just be glad it is in English and you can fuss back in the same language, just don't lose your temper, doesn't work.  But I understand I really do.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Luv, can you just disconnect the modem and take it in and switch it? I started having problems with my Internet on Super Bowl night. I put up with it for a few days (the weather was bad, that can be a factor) and then I finally called. They did this and that, had me do a reset and so on. Finally, I just disconnected the modem and went to the service center (only a mile away) and got a new one. The woman said, "Oh, this is an old one, we are switching all of them out!" Duh! Why didn't the guy on the phone say that? Sometimes it is worth it to take the bull by the horns.

L

·
Registered
426 Posts
Three points, then I gotta go to bed ;D

1. I dislike Verizon customer service, love their cell phone coverage. :)

2. I really dislike (trying not to use the word 'hate' but it fits) Comcast all around.

3. You all need to see this website, which I love. http://gethuman.com/us/ Because sometimes you just want to talk to a human being and really don't want to listen to 'The Sounds of Silence' in musak form while you're on hold forever. LOL!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leslie said:
Luv, can you just disconnect the modem and take it in and switch it? I started having problems with my Internet on Super Bowl night. I put up with it for a few days (the weather was bad, that can be a factor) and then I finally called. They did this and that, had me do a reset and so on. Finally, I just disconnected the modem and went to the service center (only a mile away) and got a new one. The woman said, "Oh, this is an old one, we are switching all of them out!" Duh! Why didn't the guy on the phone say that? Sometimes it is worth it to take the bull by the horns.

L
That's my plan for tomorrow. I just have to figure out where the nearest center is. The supervisor told me I needed to buy a new one. At this point I'm willing to do whatever. I don't know what's more frustrating not having it at all, or it going in and out constantly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
LOL!  I feel your pain; my husband had the exact same problem with Comcast the other day...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I just tell them it's dead and nothing will happen no matter what I do.  I have already run the tests and know what the problem is all I need a tech on site.  I don't' have time to mess with their scripts.  If I think they will push to connect from their end I unplug it so it is dead.  Then I plug it in before the tech shows up. Sometimes you have to be deceptive to get service. :)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
DawnOfChaos said:
Three points, then I gotta go to bed ;D

1. I dislike Verizon customer service, love their cell phone coverage. :)

2. I really dislike (trying not to use the word 'hate' but it fits) Comcast all around.
Dawn, I so agree with those two. Few years ago I had Verizon cell service. Had to go into a Verizon store for something. Some of the worst customer service.... I've had T-Mobile for a few years now and occasionally need to go into the store. No problems. Very helpful.

We have Comcast in this area for cable. The things I've heard about Comcast.... And I'm an Angie's List member. I've read the reports.... I've never had cable (or satellite). I won't give my business to a company with that kind of customer service.

I've had AT&T DSL for a few years. Knock-on-wood, so far OK.

·
Registered
493 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Oh, FIOS. I would to have that out here. If this continues to be a problem, the kids and I will be doing school work at Panera this week.
No Fios? So when you say modem you meant it. Tell them to get on the ball and get to your area asap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
... the only thing available in my area unless I get satellite internet.
You might not be happy with that either. We had Starband from 2002-2008. Started out very good but bandwidth kept shrinking and problems became so bad that we just switched to Verizon wireless. Checked out the other satellite services in our area first, Hughes and Wild Blue, and found users had the same troubles with them. When Starband's satelllite got knocked off track (2004 or 2005) it took over a week to get a recorded message with any information and we were advised to get an alternative service (dial-up was our only option). Before we finally dropped Starband last year, I was getting better service from dial-up. So far (8 weeks) the Verizon wireless service has been great, but we haven't had to deal with tech support yet.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Just be glad you can get anything other than Hughesnet... with the satellite dish we lose signal every time there is heavy cloud coverage or it is too windy outside... much like our satellite TV! BUT, it does beat dial-up! Oh the joys of country living!! :)

G

·
I never play with the voice recordings.  I just keep pounding 0 until i get a real person.  :)

I used to have satellite TV and I miss it but cloudy days and stormy days were a PITA.  I'd hate to have the same problem with my internet. 

I have cable TV now because there are too many trees around me and they block the signal.  I hate the local cable company.  They put the anal in anal orifice.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts