Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes books are poorly written or have a lot of errors.  Perhaps the books are slow or are boring or have too much or too little sex, violence, romance, or mystery. There are lots of reasons to be disappointed in a book.

Yesterday I started reading a novel which I had looked forward to reading.  It looked very good and was about a virus wiping out the world.  It was so slow though and had so many plot lines that I found it tiring to read.  Luckily though, it was a free one that my wife had downloaded.

I returned a novel once.  It was by a well known author and was full of errors. At least the first chapter was so I didn't read any farther.  I think that he probably submitted a PDF file which doesn't format well into Kindle.

If you don't like a book, you have to make the decision whether to keep the book or return it.  I takes a certain amount of your time though since you have to call Amazon and tell them you want to return the book.

So why would you return a book?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would return the book if formatting errors made the book hard to read. I shouldn't waste my money on something that is too hard to read because of issues out of my control. Now if the story is just plain bad, I would take the loss and try to do a little more research when buying my next book.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've returned several print books over the years, but never a Kindle book.  I tend to use the free preview feature a lot, so I generally know whether or not I want the book before I hit the BUY button.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I've only returned one kindle book when the file that came was not the title/author listed (turned out the book I was trying to buy and was showing on the Amazon page had not even been released yet).  Amazon credited my account, took down the incorrect listing and sent me the correct book without charge when it was released.

I have had other books that I have deleted without reading because of bad formatting, but didn't return them because I bought them without taking time to check the sample.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Harry Shannon said:
I've only returned a book if ordered by accident.
Same here. But I also always read samples, so I don't tend to buy books that have a lot of errors in them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My TBR pile is so large that by the time I get round to reading a downloaded book - the 'returns' time has elapsed!
I've returned a book only once - and that's because I pressed 'buy' rather than 'sample.'
I dont think I've ever returned a DTB - no book could ever be that unwanted!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I have in 3 years returned 3 books.. the first was a "big 6" book, that was very poorly formatted, full of OCR problems... just hideousness all around.

the second book was an indie offering, and it was just completely worthless.

the thrid was also indie, but it was an accidental purchase. Last weekend I downloaded a sample, and left the wireless on the kindle still on when I started organizing the new downloads into collections.. click the wrong option and suddenly I bought the book instead of adding it to my sample collection. Luckily It immediately takes you to the did you purchase this book by accident screen, and I was able to get a refund.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
So why would you return a book?
I'd return a book that had severe formatting problems, making it difficult to read. Also if there were enough editing problems to interfere with the reading experience.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I've never returned a print book. Even if I couldn't stand a book, I'd rather give it away to a library or sell it to a used book store. Just because I hated a book doesn't mean others would, so I'd rather pass it on to potential readers.

I have returned a couple of e-books, but only because they were accidental purchases.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've never returned a book for being bad or something I didn't like. 

Formatting errors are a different issue.  Usually I can catch formatting problems in the sample so I don't buy those is the first place.  But there might came the day when I pre-order a title then discover whoever did the formatting was either lazy or didn't have a clue or rife with OCR errors, then I'd return.

I'd also return if I somehow bought the wrong book. (e.g., a book with the same title but wrong author).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Unfortunately, I stop reading books and return them for the below reasons:

1) If the dialogue doesn't match the time frame. For example, in a recent book that was set in present day, the MC said, "That's swell."  Book was returned because no one says that today.

2) If there are discrepancies. For example, another recent book said the MC was a virgin. Then a chapter later, he's fantasizing about doing things to girls that he has no reference how to do it or how to get to that point. I wish I could be more specific, but it may be too disgusting to reiterate.

!KC

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hadn't thought about it much, but I don't think I've ever returned a print book except for one time that I received 2 copies of the same book for my birthday. The only e-book I've returned so far was a misclick purchase of a book I would never read - wrong genre.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think the only time I would return an ebook is if the book had massive formatting errors, like messed up paragraphs and spacing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I haven't returned any ebooks yet. I'm surprised that anyone would, what with the samples, unless you hit the Buy button instead of the Sample button by accident.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have never returned any print books because they were always the one's I wanted to buy before I purchased them. For kindle books I wouldn't return them because they are so inexpensive. Usually I like reading all types of books but if it was some that wasn't for me I would pass them to a friend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts