Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a recent success which highlights why you truly have to believe in yourself.

So for my 3rd novel, i submitted to Indiereader to accumulate editorial reviews as I did for my previous two. The review I got was a hack job. I got it literally over the Christmas holidays. The novel was rated a one star and totally thrashed. I was devastated. My other two books had very favorable reviews overall. At that point, I thought of even not publishing it at all. (there is a whole story how I asked the folks at Indiereader to to look into it...etc...and was ignored...to this day I have not received any bad reviews on Goodreads or Amazon)

I trusted my own instincts and moved forward. I submitted the novel in the summer for the Booklife Prize. My hope was to get a decent editorial review. Today, I got the feedback and the novel scored a 10 on 10 in the first round of judging. It was praise for being unique and genre crossing.

My style of writing is lyrical and let's just say I don't follow traditional rules of writing/genre.

So for all you writers out there...don't let a bad review defeat you. Believe in yourself and your work.

Mark

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's great that you and your work got vindicated in such a cool way.  I think a while back we had talked because I had a terrible run in with indiereader too.  Congrats on everything!  This is a feel-good moment anyone who says, nah, I'm sticking to my guns on this.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My heart soars like the hawk when hearing such news. I was recently trashed for a YA SF and an erotic romance. It was only from a few people. Five months later I took the bronze medal in a huge contest. You should never give up on yourself. The truth will come out sooner or later--that you were a lot better than you thought you were. And really....nothing's wrong.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

Will be interesting how this goes...my novel is not easily defined into a genre/subgenre...but, that also it helps it stand out as different.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts