Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Very interesting. I'm getting worried because I have now reached 6 devices on my account, although 2 of them have been sold and are deregistered. I know that you can have them take off the items from your account to free up the 2 slots for new devices, but it is not easily done. I'll just have to wait and see what happens if I add another device to my account.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Gosh at least the final CS rep gave a little light to the situation. It sounds like eventually they will get it figured out. I think by the time most people get to a 6th gen Kindle they will have this sorted away. (I hope)

Also times like this it makes me even more happy to be a member of this board. I think over here we learn and get alot more general knowledge than the average consumer. If one of us here doesn't know the answer or hasn't had that problem before than I don't think anyone could answer/help.  :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You are able to redownload your books an unlimited number of times to any specific device.

Any one time the books can be on a finite number of devices. In most cases that means you can have the same book on six different devices.

Unfortunately the publishers decide how many licenses, that is devices, a book can be on at any one time. While most of the time that will be five or six different devices there will be times when it's only one device.

At the present time there is no way to know how many devices can be licensed prior to buying the book.

According to the customer rep, there is a project to try to get that information available to the customer but it's not yet available.

Finally, when you have reached a limit of six devices and you swap one older device for a new one, it does not automatically reset the number of licenses so you can add the new one. Amazon can release all of the licenses which will remove any given book from all of the devices and then allow you to re-download it that same number of times.
This is pretty much what I had decided was the truth, so hopefully now we have the true understanding of the situation.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Greg Banks said:
This is pretty much what I had decided was the truth,
so hopefully now we have the true understanding of the situation.
That sounds quite a bit better than what I read earlier.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
This is crap. If publishers have the right to limit me having a book on only 1 device I should know this before purchasing. At minimum I should be able to have a book on my K and my iphone at the same time. Otherwise whispersync is useless. Plus I want to know which publishers are limiting access this much so I can choose to boycott them or at least write them nasty letters or choose not to bother buying the book.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Yes, I want to know the publisher's as well, we can flood them with e-mails and let them find out just how valuable the kindle customer base is.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This is why I think that as soon as you decide to remove a device from your account you should call CS and have all the licences removed. That way you don't have licenes tied up on devices you no longer have.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If they are limiting a book to below the usual 5 or 6 downloads, Amazon should make it known prior to purchase.  I can imagine there would be books that people are purchasing on the Kindle just so that two people on the same account can read it on separate Kindles at the same time.  Hubby doesn't have a Kindle, but there are going to be books that we would be willing to pay more for the Kindle version just so that he can read it on his iTouch at the same time.

N :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
These extreme limits are going to cut down on sales of kindles. Notice how many people here posted in the music thread that choose to buy CDs instead of DLing music specifically because they want a hard copy so they don't have to worry about backups or limits. Personally if they don't loosen these restrictions I'll just end up buying more second hand DTBs than I already do. A lot of the time I can get DTB hardbacks for between 1 cent and a couple bucks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I don't recall Amazon asking me about how many downloads I would allow when I published my works.  Maybe there is a default number?  Greg, maybe you have some insight to this as well?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
I don't recall Amazon asking me about how many downloads I would allow when I published my works. Maybe there is a default number? Greg, maybe you have some insight to this as well?
I hate to say it, but this sounds like another instance of everyone blaming someone else (not you specifically Carol).

Amazon says the publishers set the limits, but the publishers will probably say they have no idea. The same happened with pricing, I think. Both Amazon and publishers blamed each other for who set what prices.

It gets frustrating after a while. LOL

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
mwvickers said:
I hate to say it, but this sounds like another instance of everyone blaming someone else (not you specifically Carol).

Amazon says the publishers set the limits, but the publishers will probably say they have no idea. The same happened with pricing, I think. Both Amazon and publishers blamed each other for who set what prices.

It gets frustrating after a while. LOL
If authors here are saying that they weren't asked how many licenses they allow it could be a situation where Amazon doesn't bring it up but the publisher does? I don't know? I'm just guessing that if it was standard to offer a choice on licenses that they would know. Maybe the publishers are saying they won't release books in .amz without the limit? If that is the case I'd like to know.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
I don't recall Amazon asking me about how many downloads I would allow when I published my works. Maybe there is a default number? Greg, maybe you have some insight to this as well?
I think the point here is that there is a different process and procedure for publishers than us DTPers, which is no different from the difference between how I might upload a book to Amazon through CreateSpace and how a big publisher would get their books on Amazon by entirely different means. In other words, I'm sure the manner in which commercial publishers get their books on Kindle is different than how we Indie Authors do. So it stands to reason that they would have more options and control than we do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The author of the Gear Diary blog has written a long article about his travails with the Kindle DRM policy, and his attempts to find out what the heck the policy is, anyhow. He seems to have gotten an answer on how the DRM works, and it's not as bad as I'd originally thought. (You can have a book on 6 devices at once, but if you uninstall from a device or get rid of a device, you have to call Amazon customer service to manually reset your license count.)

I can't imagine Amazon continuing this as a manual process, especially when there are so many better ways to do things. Hopefully they'll fix this at some point so that it just works.

This was picked up by Megan McArdle of the Atlantic, as well as Andrew Sullivan.

Dan Cohen of Gear Diary also wrote an Open Letter to Jeff Bezos. Let's hope it gets some attention.

coyote

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
merging this with previous thread on the topic. . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does it bother anyone else that the language almost everyone uses for the "what we think we know" description - "5 or 6 devices" - is itself horribly vague? I mean, we're talking about a 17 percent difference here!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Chad Winters (#102) said:
Seems strange of Amazon to make it difficult for people to upgrade their Kindle....
I think that is when you will see some real action,answers and changes.

When amazon starts hearing and seeing a decline in their sales because no one can upgrade without losing their current books then Amazon will realize the problem. Right now most people haven't came close to the license limit yet so Amazon hasn't had to address this very much yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts