Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has it always been 5 free days per 3 months?

Could it possibly be increased (or lowered)?

Have they considered a different time "package"? Maybe  an incentive for going KDP for 6 months, or even 1 year means bonus free days?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
CJAnderson said:

Have they considered a different time "package"? Maybe an incentive for going KDP for 6 months, or even 1 year means bonus free days?
As far as I can remember, it's always been five days.

Would you want it to be lowered?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
CJAnderson said:

Have they considered a different time "package"? Maybe an incentive for going KDP for 6 months, or even 1 year means bonus free days?
Amazon originally wanted to offer KDP Select (with up to five free days, I believe) to authors in exchange for Amazon-exclusive sales for a year. That idea got shot down. In flames.

Amazon offered KDP Select to betas in summer and fall of 2011 in exchange for up to five free days and six months of Amazon-exclusive sales. That offer got a very cold reception.

Amazon's offer of 90 days of Amazon exclusivity for up to five free days appealed to enough authors that Amazon launched the KDP Select program with those two restrictions and with periodic policy and programming modifications. Every modification has worked to reduce the number of free downloads and Amazon's costs for the KDP Select free days.

Amazon views the KDP Select program as very successful with 870,000 eBooks enrolled so far in Kindle Unlimited, so I can't imagine Amazon increasing free days to get more authors to add more eBooks to KDP Select at a higher rate than is already happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts