Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that when the K2 battery no longer functions correctly, we can send the K2 back to Amazon and get a battery replaced for $59. 

Do you think this will be covered by the Kindle Extended Warranty?  I checked both the extended warranty info page as well as the terms and conditions (fine print) on that page and saw nothing about battery replacement.

Any ideas? 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Along the same lines, if you send your Kindle back for battery replacement or other warranty work,will you receive back your original Kindle?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Good question. I think it warants a call to Customer Service. But before I do (I will), Here's my take. By making it a non-user replacable battery, it turns it into a warranty issue. If Amazon continues to handle warranty issues as they have in the past, they'll send you a new (refurbished most likely) kindle and have you return yours (afte you get the replacement). If you get the extended warranty, that coverage will extend to the 2nd year. If you don't, you'll pay $59 for a battery replacement.

Again, that's my take on it, but I will call Customer Service and see what they say. However, with it not being released and so new, they may not have all of the correct information at this time.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Laney -- Thanks for posting that article.  What a coincidence that I also read that article today, but very briefly, as I have "Kindle 2" as a Google News alert and haven't cancelled it yet. 

I think I'll call Amazon and ask them if the extended warranty will do the same thing for the 2nd year as it does for the 1st year (for the battery).  I'll post here when I find out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would have have to think that you'd get the same one back, otherwise it would be very obvious:  your new Kindle wouldn't be registered to your account, and you'd have to re-download your library.  They'd get caught switching very quickly.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
So, any skins you have installed on your kindle would need to be removed before sending the unit in for battery replacement, because you possibly wouldn't' receive the same unit back.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called Kindle Support about the K2 Extended Warranty offered through Amazon.

I was told if the battery goes out the first year it's replaced free of charge even without the Extended Warranty.  

If the battery goes out during the second year, there will be no charge with the Extended Warranty, but a $59 charge with no extended warranty.

I asked if I'd have to do without a Kindle when sending it in for service and I was told, "It depends on who you get."  She said I'd be talking to a supervisor at that point anyway and would just insist a replacement be sent to me immediately and I'd keep my "defective" K2 until I received the replacement.  I've heard great things about Amazon customer service, so hope this is true.  Who wants to be without all the books you've purchased?  Doesn't make sense.

I was also told (and wonder about this) that first year and second year of the Extended Warranty you'll always be dealing with Amazon directly.  I thought the Extended Warranty was covered by a third party and question this, but that's what I was told when I called.  I'll have to read the fine print again.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
stargazer0725 said:
I would have have to think that you'd get the same one back, otherwise it would be very obvious: your new Kindle wouldn't be registered to your account, and you'd have to re-download your library. They'd get caught switching very quickly.
Oh, I'm not saying that they'd try to be sneaky about it. Right now, if you have a warranty issue, they send you a replacement right away (refurbished). You keep your current kindle until after you receive the replacement. You then transfer everything over to your new kindle and send back the defective one.

I'm wondering if they're going to continue following this policy, which would be great because you won't have any downtime, or if they'll actually make you send it in, replace the battery and send it back to you, yours not a replacement.(thus requiring you to be without the kindle for a few days ,shudder at the thought.)

I HOPE they continue with the replacement first, then return.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
libro said:
I was also told (and wonder about this) that first year and second year of the Extended Warranty you'll always be dealing with Amazon directly. I thought the Extended Warranty was covered by a third party and question this, but that's what I was told when I called. I'll have to read the fine print again.
See, this is confusing me. I read the details of the extended warranty and it sounds to me like you would be dealing directly with the 3rd party for any warranty issues.

here is part of that on the warranty page
From the Manufacturer
Every Kindle 2 comes with a one-year manufacturer's warranty. With the 2-Year Extended Warranty for Kindle 2, you can extend your coverage for an additional year and protect against accidental drops or damage. This helps avoid the inconvenience and costs associated with a broken device. The warranty stays with the device even if it is gifted or sold to another party.

The 2-Year Extended Warranty for Kindle 2 is offered and sold by an experienced service management company, Service Net Retail Solutions, LLC ("Service Net"). If your Kindle 2 experiences a covered failure during the warranty's term, Service Net will replace your unit at no additional cost. Service Net will even cover shipping costs for both the defective and replacement unit.

What is Covered

* Two years of coverage for failures due to normal operation of device
* Two years of coverage for damage attributed to lightening or power surges
* Two years of coverage (limited to a single claim) for accidental drops or damage

How it Works

* Purchase 2-Year Extended Warranty for Kindle 2 for your qualifying Kindle 2 (you will receive an information packet in the mail)
* Contact Service Net customer service at (877) 441-3836 if your Kindle 2 fails
* Receive a replacement Kindle 2 and return your damaged device to Service Net

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with you on the confusion.  I spoke with only one Kindle Support person and that was the answer I received.  Since I read not only the Amazon extended warranty info page, but also the link "terms and conditions," it makes no sense to me either.  I just don't know who to go to in order to get this answered.  Perhaps an e-mail to customer service would be more definitive....having something in print....but I'm not sure anymore.  For right now, I'm inclined to go only with what I seen in print, as you pointed out, but even the terms and conditions are rather ambiguous in parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts