Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will my Kindle come with a how-to manual already downloaded, a separate printed manual, or will I need to download some other instruction manual before I can use it?  Is it user friendly without a manual?

Also, how would you rate the cover it comes with?  I don't need it to be fancy, but I do want to keep the Kindle safe.

I'll have to head over to the other board to see which covers and lights come most highly recommended.

·
Registered
788 Posts
A. The Kindle comes with a pre-loaded how-to manual as well as a small piece of plastic adhered to the screen that tells you how to charge and turn it on.

B. The cover that comes with the Kindle is faux leather with suede inside and is perfectly adequate to keep the Kindle safe. It's not much to look at, but it's safe.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I don't know if I would go so far as saying the cover is safe.  My Kindle fell out all the time.  Luckily, I had fast hands and always managed to catch it. ;)  Make sure the plastic thing is hooked into the niche in the back.  My stock cover worked well enough for the first month or 2.  It seemed to stretch out after that.  I got the M-Edge and love it.  It's very secure.  Love the Oberon but don't see spending that kind of money until the M-Edge wears out.  The new M-Edge has a slot to hold a special brand of light.  I have the old style case and a Might Bright 2, which is great. 

IMO, the stock manual is just really enough to get you up and running.  There are a couple of good manuals out there.  Leslie's for one.  This board is great for info, too. 

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think the original cover is safe only if you master getting it latched in properly.  The user guide tells you how to seat the Kindle in the provided cover.

If you think you have in inserted properly hold it very low over a feather bed and hold it different ways and see if it falls out.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Dori said:
I think the original cover is safe only if you master getting it latched in properly. The user guide tells you how to seat the Kindle in the provided cover.

If you think you have in inserted properly hold it very low over a feather bed and hold it different ways and see if it falls out.
...and use the elastic band to secure the bottom right corner of the kindle for added security.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've only got the original cover, but the Kindle fell out a few times (not to the floor, just shook loose) and the back cover came off way too often because of that metal tab, so I stopped using it. I did try the elastic over the bottom corner trick, which helped a lot, but I also found the added weight and bulk of the cover to be annoying - I like the slim clean lines of the electronic device itself, no need to hold an extra pound or two!

I've been cover-free since about May, I just put the Kindle in my purse for the trip to and from work every day, it does fine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I really must be the only one who's never had troubles with the original cover. Not only does the Kindle slide right and stick like magic, but I can hold it by the cover, and dangle it over the floor with no dropping, no slippage even.

I guess I have the touch.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Mikuto said:
I really must be the only one who's never had troubles with the original cover. Not only does the Kindle slide right and stick like magic, but I can hold it by the cover, and dangle it over the floor with no dropping, no slippage even.

You should go on the road as a kover konsultant. "For $1000 plus travel expenses, I will teach YOU how to use your Kindle kover properly!"

L

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Mikuto said:

Mine snaps in just fine, too... as a matter of fact, the first time I took it out of the cover (I was unaware of the tab since I never read my Kindle user guide) it didn't want to slip out. It was so snuggly attached to the tab that the battery cover came off!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Angela said:
Mine snaps in just fine, too... as a matter of fact, the first time I took it out of the cover (I was unaware of the tab since I never read my Kindle user guide) it didn't want to slip out. It was so snuggly attached to the tab that the battery cover came off!
Mine does that all the time. In fact it's rather hard to get it out "normally" I keep having to snap poor Saint-Germain's back cover on. How undignified!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I didn't put my Kindle in a cover until I got my Oberon. I wasn't going to get a cover at all until I saw the Oberons.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There is an "About Your Kindle" booklet in the box, and a far more extensive "User's Guide" pre-installed on the Kindle.  The two are NOT the same.  I think some people think that the "User's Guide" on the Kindle is the same as the booklet.

The cover works fine for me, with the addition of a small patch of 3M Dual-Lock (like Velcro) on the lower right corner.  My husband never put any Velcro on his, and has no trouble with his coming out of the cover.

The cover is helpful in keeping you from accidentally hitting buttons, making it easier to hold, in general, and protecting the screen.

G

·
Once you have ordered your Kindle, you can also download 2 PDF files that are the same as the manuals that come with the Kindle. 

If all else fails, ask here. Someone will know the answer or where to find it.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Here is a picture of my beloved Kindle in it's original cover. I have picked out a pretty blue skin for her but for now she will con't to use her org. outerwear.
Notice the bottom right hand corner how the elastic band flips over that corner making things nice and secure.
Diane

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hey, about the cover.  The tab works...however, I also placed a small bit (less than an inch) of velcro to the lower right corner of Kindle and cover (put smooth fuzzy part on Kindle; loop plastic part on cover) makes cover completely secure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.