Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
660 Posts
nomesque said:
*nods* Would be nice. I'm not sure how reasonable it would be, though, given that the majority of the payouts are from distributed sales. What sort of lag between payment received from retailer and payment to author would you consider acceptable if you got monthly payments?
The same as Amazon, two months. Every month we got paid would be for two months previous. That way they'd have plenty of time to collect the money and pay it out. I see no reason why that couldn't be done.

Carl

· Registered
660 Posts
Sarah Woodbury said:
It is an antiquated system, but that is not Smashwords' doing. It is the way Barnes and Noble pays all its publishers. Harper Collins is getting paid quarterly exactly the same way.
It's not just the quartly payments that bother me, so much as how slowly smashwords informs us on how much we've earned from each affiliate. It's frustrating not knowing how well or badly we're doing at all these places. I see no reason why these figures can't be more transparent, I mean if B&N can show what we're earning daily on the pubit forum then why can't they inform smashwords on what we've earned during the course of one month. Could it be that these places earn interest on the money they don't have to give us for three months, after all they don't have to wait very long to be paid when a costumer buys a book.

Carl

· Registered
660 Posts
Half-Orc said:
There's soooo many things just flat out wrong in the posts above.

Smashwords is not "sitting on your money". They don't have it. Simple as that. Just because B&N reports sales figures for May to Smashwords doesn't mean they have sent the money. I can view my sales reports from yesterday on Amazon. Does it mean I magically have the money? Smashwords gets paid by retailers quarterly, and then pays its authors. This is simple, basic, and something you've agreed to when you uploaded to Smashwords. If you want faster payments, then harass B&N, Kobo, and the iBookstore to pay Smashwords more often.

As for faster reports: they're working on them, but again, why act like this is Smashwords fault? Having a system like Pubit report your sales immediately is not the same as creating and shipping a single giant report to, what is in a sense, a publisher (Smashwords). They report the info when they get it. I guess if you want to you could claim Mark isn't being annoying enough to convince these other websites to give him more frequent info, but even the slightest bit of research shows Mark's voracious when it comes to this stuff.

Earning interest on money? Really? I mean, there's conspiracy theories, and then there's this. Why not claim Mark just rolls around on the cash naked during those three months? About as plausible. Anytime you're getting a company to hand over money it's a grueling process, and for all these grumblings about Smashwords, just imagine Smashwords trying to get their money from what is now seven companies they've set agreements up with? For crying out loud, Amazon UK was what, two weeks late paying us this month. Were there cries of outrage and claims of devious plans, coupled with accusations of getting buried in the new digital age? Please.
David, try reading my posts before replying to them. I said I see no reason why B&N couldn't report what we are making I never said anything about smashwords other than I'm disappointed that the figures are not more transparent. I've gone out of my way to recommend Smashwords to everyone who's enquired, so don't turn this into an attack thread when there's no attack happening.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.