Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang!
Just had my Kindle 2 for five days and am trying to figure it out!  I checked out Leslie's FAQ (THANK YOU!!!!) and also looked in the User's Manual.  It stated that:  8.2 Handling Files through USB
Managing Your Documents
When your Kindle is connected to a computer and mounted as a USB drive, you will see three
default directories or folders.

When I plugged my Kindle in to my computer with the USB cord, the only thing that shows up on my Kindle is the message that "If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer."

Can someone tell me how to move past this message to the three default directories described above?

Also, if you could give me a primer on downloading free books.  I was able to download one into the "D: Kindle" directory on my computer, but how do I get that to move over to the Kindle?

Any help is most appreciated.  Sorry if this is one of the very always asked questions,
Lori

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
When your Kindle is hooked to the computer using the USB, you will always only see that message (the Kindle1 has a different message to the same effect).  You need to browse your Kindle as if it were part of the computer.

What kind of computer are you using--Mac or PC?

Betsy

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Hi Lori and welcome to the KindleBoards. You'll be able to see those files on the computer, not the Kindle. It will show up just like any other portable device plugged into your computer.

You're headed in the right direction by finding the D: Kindle..That's your Kindle. When you open that folder, you'll see the documents, Music and Audible folders. Move the free book into the documents folder and when you unhook your Kindle from the computer, it should show up on your homescreen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both VERY much for responding - and YES your posts gave me just the help I needed!!!!!  You really gave me encouragement that the message I was receiving on the Kindle was appropriate!  I plugged it back in on the computer and saw the folders you spoke of.  I also remembered that I had "grazed" thru Chapter 8 of the User's Manual and with my darling hubby at my side I re-read the acceptable documents section.  I occurred to me that perhaps the trouble was with the Download (I had downloaded the book as a PDF.  I re-read what the manual said about PDF's)  So I went back to Robert's website and re-downloaded the book as a "Mobi"; then went back to YOUR instructions and VOILA -- it's now on my Kindle!!!!!  And of course, then I had to go right back onto Robert's site and download the rest of his offerings!  I'm on a real tear right now!!!

So THANK YOU!  What a great Board and what nice friends you are!  In response to the first response to my post -- I use a Toshiba with Windows Vista on it (like so many, I have a "love hate" relationship with Vista, but it's turning more into love these days. :)

Again thanks!  I'm in an airplane later today and guess "who"'s going with me ?????  All my new Kindle books!  Thanks for making it possible!
Lori

1 - 4 of 4 Posts